Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2009, 2:14pm   #1
tomurphjr
Charter Member
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2689
Question Question about a totaled vehicle and the payout.

My sister was involved in a car accident yesterday(she's ok). Basically she was stopped in traffic on the freeway and was rear ended. The impact pushed her into the car in front of her.

Her SUV is paid off, and she gets a call today saying that her car was totaled. They gave her a figure on what they are going to pay her for the truck minus the deductable.

I don't understand why she has to pay a deductable if the car is totaled. Has anyone had to pay a deductable for a totaled car?
tomurphjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 2:20pm   #2
Sneaks
Charter Member - C5 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #41

Thanked 1,291 Times in 827 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8192878

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomurphjr View Post
My sister was involved in a car accident yesterday(she's ok). Basically she was stopped in traffic on the freeway and was rear ended. The impact pushed her into the car in front of her.

Her SUV is paid off, and she gets a call today saying that her car was totaled. They gave her a figure on what they are going to pay her for the truck minus the deductable.

I don't understand why she has to pay a deductable if the car is totaled. Has anyone had to pay a deductable for a totaled car?
Don't go for it. Fight for replacement cost! Find similiar SUVs, get prices, show what it's going to cost to replace, and don't settle for what they offer at first.
Asian guy rear ended me in my Fiero. Totaled it cause damage was more than book.(we fixed it after I bought it back from insurance)
They offered like 900 bucks. I showed where to replace it with a similiar model was going to cost me around 2300, and that's what I ended up getting.
Old 10-16-2009, 2:36pm   #3
DropTheTop
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #777

Location: If they told you that wolverines would make good house pets . . . would you believe them?
Thanked 1,414 Times in 928 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6589249

Maybe they're charging her a deductible for the car she got pushed into. As f'd up as it sounds, they're probably putting the blame on her.
DropTheTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 3:31pm   #4
Culookin
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $802

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheTop View Post
Maybe they're charging her a deductible for the car she got pushed into. As f'd up as it sounds, they're probably putting the blame on her.
It's a bad system but they'll claim she shouldn't have been so close to the person in front of her. You sister's insurance will have to fight that one...

Btw, pics of sister?
Culookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 3:33pm   #5
DropTheTop
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #777

Location: If they told you that wolverines would make good house pets . . . would you believe them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culookin View Post
It's a bad system but they'll claim she shouldn't have been so close to the person in front of her. You sister's insurance will have to fight that one...

Btw, pics of sister?
Nice!
Old 10-16-2009, 3:59pm   #6
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14

Thanked 5,024 Times in 2,237 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Does she live in a no-fault state?

If no, did the driver that caused the accident not have insurance?

Those are about the only two ways I could understand her own insurance picking up the tab for this.

I was in a similar freeway accident once. As traffic came to an abrupt halt, I stopped, the car behind me stopped, the car behind it stopped too. The truck behind the three of us did not, and hit with enough momentum to make it a four-car accident...me getting the last of it.

His insurance co paid out directly to all of us. My insurance was notified of the accident, but that was the extant of their involvement. All my future dealings were done directly with the trucker's insurance co.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 4:01pm   #7
tomurphjr
Charter Member

She is at no fault (police report). The car hit her so hard that everything in the back of her SUV ending up in the front floorboard. My sister's insurance company is having a hard time getting a return phone call from the insurance company of the car that hit her.

With that said, my sister's insurance company is going to cut her a check. The figure they gave her seems almost fair to me. I guess I just need to check around and find out what the same car with mileage, ect are going for around here.

I just don't understand why they are making her pay a deductible.

Let me see if I can dig up some pics and I'll post them
Old 10-16-2009, 4:05pm   #8
Culookin
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $802

Quote:
She is at no fault (police report). The car hit her so hard that everything in the back of her SUV ending up in the front floorboard. My sister's insurance company is having a hard time getting a return phone call from the insurance company of the car that hit her.

With that said, my sister's insurance company is going to cut her a check. The figure they gave her seems almost fair to me. I guess I just need to check around and find out what the same car with mileage, ect are going for around here.
Glad they're taking care of her, what company is she with?

Quote:
Let me see if I can dig up some pics and I'll post them
Culookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 4:09pm   #9
tomurphjr
Charter Member

She is with Geico.
Old 10-16-2009, 4:20pm   #10
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14

Thanked 5,024 Times in 2,237 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
I just don't understand why they are making her pay a deductible.
What state does she live in?

If her insurance is issuing the check, then it's coming out of her collision coverage, and for most people, that means a deductible.

The reasoning behind why her insurance is paying out is where the unknowns come in.

If her insurance does eventually collect on this claim from the other company, her deductible SHOULD be refunded, but as you can guess, that's where it will become "settled and forgotten".

If i were your sister, I'd be on the phone myself with the at-fault's insurance company non-stop until this matter is resolved. Unless of course, she lives in a no-fault state.
Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 4:32pm   #11
tomurphjr
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
What state does she live in?

If her insurance is issuing the check, then it's coming out of her collision coverage, and for most people, that means a deductible.

The reasoning behind why her insurance is paying out is where the unknowns come in.

If her insurance does eventually collect on this claim from the other company, her deductible SHOULD be refunded, but as you can guess, that's where it will become "settled and forgotten".

If i were your sister, I'd be on the phone myself with the at-fault's insurance company non-stop until this matter is resolved. Unless of course, she lives in a no-fault state.
She lives here in Hampton Roads VA.

I'll check to see if VA is a no-fault state.

I'll tell her to hold on before she does anything with her insurance company.
Old 10-20-2009, 7:25am   #12
tomurphjr
Charter Member

So the lady that hit my sister ended up not having any insurance. My sister’s insurance company ended up giving her the full value of the car without charging her a deductable, plus she got a rental car. Thank god she got a rental...I thought she was going to burn the clutch out of my truck the first day I loaned it to her

We both have Geico and it's nice to see how they handled the situation, plus giving my sister a rental car even though she did not have rental car coverage.
Old 10-20-2009, 9:20am   #13
Cobra4B
Charter Member
Activity: 0.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8830

I was a local GEICO adjuster for over 2 years... when you get in an accident (not at fault) you can handle it through your insurance, pay your deductible, and have them subrogate the other insurance company. Once your insurance collects from the other insurance co you will get your deductible refunded.

Your other option is to file the claim directly with the other persons insurance co... they handle it and pay for everything.

When you get hit by someone w/o insurance and it can be verified your insurance co. will refund you your deductible and pursue the other person in court. The accident will be listed as a collision claim but as a not-at-fault incident so her rates will not change.

As for determining fair market value... GEICO uses a company called CCC to generate market value reports. They put in your vin, miles, options etc. and it spits back a value.

If you don't agree w/ the value you can negotiate, but you'll only get anywhere by having proof that your car is worth more. Saying, "I feel that my car is worth more." Isn't worth jackcrap.

I tell everyone to do the following to get a good market value.

1. Go to the following market valueation sites and pull retail value for your area... not Californig. Use accurate info... not the top of the line version of your car with no miles:
*KBB
*Edmunds
*NADA

2. Print the reports out from each website and average the numbers.

3. Go to autotrader.com and cars.com and do a search for your car selling in a 500 mile radius. Print out those reports and look at the average selling prices.

Now you'll have 5 data points to back up what you're asking for. When the adjsuter says we'll give you $x,xxx. You can say well I think my car is worth $yy,yyy and hand over the file w/ the documentation to back it up. All an adjuster needs is documentation to add to the file as to why he/she paid more than the CCC report.

When my mom's '99 vert was totalled earlier this year I did all of that and was ready to fight for $19k. Allstate called my dad and said the car was sorth $20,8XX.XX. Ok thanks sounds fair to me!
2001 Quicksilver Z06 - NASA PTA/TTA/ST2 #4
www.carsandcoffeevirginiabeach.com
April 7th, 2012 7:30am-9:30am @ La Promenade
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobra4B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 12:21pm   #14
tomurphjr
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra4B View Post
I was a local GEICO adjuster for over 2 years... when you get in an accident (not at fault) you can handle it through your insurance, pay your deductible, and have them subrogate the other insurance company. Once your insurance collects from the other insurance co you will get your deductible refunded.

Your other option is to file the claim directly with the other persons insurance co... they handle it and pay for everything.

When you get hit by someone w/o insurance and it can be verified your insurance co. will refund you your deductible and pursue the other person in court. The accident will be listed as a collision claim but as a not-at-fault incident so her rates will not change.

As for determining fair market value... GEICO uses a company called CCC to generate market value reports. They put in your vin, miles, options etc. and it spits back a value.

If you don't agree w/ the value you can negotiate, but you'll only get anywhere by having proof that your car is worth more. Saying, "I feel that my car is worth more." Isn't worth jackcrap.

I tell everyone to do the following to get a good market value.

1. Go to the following market valueation sites and pull retail value for your area... not Californig. Use accurate info... not the top of the line version of your car with no miles:
*KBB
*Edmunds
*NADA

2. Print the reports out from each website and average the numbers.

3. Go to autotrader.com and cars.com and do a search for your car selling in a 500 mile radius. Print out those reports and look at the average selling prices.

Now you'll have 5 data points to back up what you're asking for. When the adjsuter says we'll give you $x,xxx. You can say well I think my car is worth $yy,yyy and hand over the file w/ the documentation to back it up. All an adjuster needs is documentation to add to the file as to why he/she paid more than the CCC report.

When my mom's '99 vert was totalled earlier this year I did all of that and was ready to fight for $19k. Allstate called my dad and said the car was sorth $20,8XX.XX. Ok thanks sounds fair to me!
Thanks for the relpy and helping me understand how it works.

After I posted a few replies in this thread I found out that she had 214K miles on her 1999 Blazer. They gave her $3500...I think that is way more than fair!

I found 1999 blazers with roughly 100K miles in better shape than hers selling at the mom and pop dealers for 3K all day long. I think she made out like a bandit!
Old 10-20-2009, 1:20pm   #15
Cobra4B
Charter Member
Activity: 0.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8830

Ahhh... did realize it was an older beaterish vehicle. Yeah typically you make out pretty well on them.

The worst part for me was working in the ghetto of p-town having to try to explain to guys why their POS '85 cutlass was totalled w/ a bent bumper.
2001 Quicksilver Z06 - NASA PTA/TTA/ST2 #4
www.carsandcoffeevirginiabeach.com
April 7th, 2012 7:30am-9:30am @ La Promenade
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 1:49pm   #16
DropTheTop
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #777

Quote:
Ahhh... did realize it was an older beaterish vehicle. Yeah typically you make out pretty well on them.

The worst part for me was working in the ghetto of p-town having to try to explain to guys why their POS '85 cutlass was totalled w/ a bent bumper.
Now that's funny!
Old 10-20-2009, 2:16pm   #17
tomurphjr
Charter Member

Quote:

haha...riddin on 26's with Mc'Donalds logo's and shet!
Old 10-26-2009, 8:45pm   #18
boracayjohnny
A Real Barner
Activity: 28.6%

Location: Out back of Victory Over America Palace, Baghdad while throwing chicken bones.
Thanked 8,051 Times in 3,902 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1317070

Quote:
haha...riddin on 26's with Mc'Donalds logo's and shet!

boracayjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:39am   #19
tomurphjr
Charter Member

^^ Thats the pics I'm refering too...lol. I crack up everytime I see that.

Look at the driver!!

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic