Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2011, 3:27pm   #1
Exotix
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0
Default Tom Delay gets 3 years in prison

*Breaking*

Prosecutors seek jail time for Tom DeLay - On Politics: Covering the US Congress, Governors, and the 2010 Election - USATODAY.com

Tom DeLay has been sentenced to three years in prison, according to news accounts.
We'll have more soon.

The state of Texas is seeking jail time for former House majority leader Tom DeLay, who was convicted in November on money laundering and conspiracy charges.

The Austin American-Statesmen reports that former House speaker Dennis Hastert, DeLay's former boss, attested to the character of his chief lieutenant.

DeLay, known as "The Hammer," was found guilty in November for illegally funneling $190,000 in corporate money through the Republican National Committee to help elect Republicans to the Texas Legislature during the 2002 elections.

The former Houston-area congressman could face up to life in prison. DeLay's lawyers are seeking probation.

DeLay is expected to take the stand today to testify on his own behalf. DeLay, 63, maintained his innocence even after he was convicted, arguing a "miscarriage of justice" and denouncing what he called "the criminalization of politics."

DeLay, majority leader from 2003 to 2005, left Congress in 2006 because of his legal woes.

Matt Angle, a former congressional aide who heads up the Lone Star Project, said DeLay's legacy will live on in Texas no matter how much time prison time the Republican will serve.

"There is little reason to feel comfort in justice being served to Tom DeLay today," said Angle, an aide to former congressman Martin Frost, a Texas Democrat. "His corrupt, partisan legacy lives on in Austin and is being practiced enthusiastically by the Republicans currently control in Texas."

Former (R) House majority leader Tom DeLay

Exotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 3:33pm   #2
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,455 Times in 17,246 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

I guess now he will have to learn how to dance backwards in high heels.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 3:35pm   #3
Will
Barn Stall Owner #15
Fantasy Football Champ '11,'13,'17

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis.
Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,241 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1050381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotix View Post
"There is little reason to feel comfort in justice being served to Tom DeLay today," said Angle, an aide to former congressman Martin Frost, a Texas Democrat. "His corrupt, partisan legacy lives on in Austin and is being practiced enthusiastically by the Republicans currently control in Texas."
Delay belongs in jail, but this line is crap, especially coming from a Texas Democrat.

I imagine this rhetoric will continue to ramp up towards redistricting. The Democrat's corrupt districting in Texas will take ages to undo, and I'm sure they'll hypocritically cry foul no matter what the Republicans do. For years Democrats would get 60-70% of the representatives despite Republicans winning the vote state-wide. The redistricting post 2000 census (during which Democrats fled to Oklahoma) didn't even come close to correcting all the gerrymandering damage Democrats inflicting during the 20th century.

Delay belongs in jail, but Texas will not be fully righted politically until congressional apportionment is such that it will always closely align with state voting.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 3:40pm   #4
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.1%

Thanked 11,566 Times in 5,704 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

So what did DeLay DO that was so rong??

SC rules that corporations and unions are free to donate to political parties....

so he took corporate donations and gave it to the Texas Rep party??? so what???

is that the jist of the case?? basically that is ALL??

mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 3:41pm   #5
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
I guess now he will have to learn how to dance backwards in high heels.
... he should'a got life ....

Old 01-10-2011, 3:52pm   #6
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,455 Times in 17,246 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Will_ View Post
Delay belongs in jail, but this line is crap, especially coming from a Texas Democrat.

I imagine this rhetoric will continue to ramp up towards redistricting. The Democrat's corrupt districting in Texas will take ages to undo, and I'm sure they'll hypocritically cry foul no matter what the Republicans do. For years Democrats would get 60-70% of the representatives despite Republicans winning the vote state-wide. The redistricting post 2000 census (during which Democrats fled to Oklahoma) didn't even come close to correcting all the gerrymandering damage Democrats inflicting during the 20th century.

Delay belongs in jail, but Texas will not be fully righted politically until congressional apportionment is such that it will always closely align with state voting.
While I mostly agree, if he would have just gerrymandered Sheila Jackson Lee out of a job, I might have been willing to pull for jury nullification.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 3:56pm   #7
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 3.6%

Thanked 12,540 Times in 5,854 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

Any politicians that abuses the election process and uses funds for anything other than what is lawfully allowed or collects funds from illegal sources should go to jail.

So when does Charlie Rangle get indicted?

I can't wait for BHO to be out on his ass in 2013 so they can review his election records and see how many millions came from overseas.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:03am   #8
Exotix
Banned

Default Post Bail .. Go Free .. for Years

Prosecutors said DeLay will likely be free for months or even years while his appeal makes its way through the Texas court system.

DeLay declined to talk to reporters after he posted a $10,000 bond following three hours in the Travis County jail, where he was taken after being sentenced.

DeLay defiant before getting 3-year prison term - Yahoo! News

DeLay defiant before getting 3-year prison term

AUSTIN, Texas – Former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay remained defiant as he faced a judge's sentence to three years in prison for a scheme to illegally influence Texas elections, insisting he committed no crime and was the victim of selective prosecution by authorities targeting his politics.

"Everything I did was covered by accountants and lawyers telling me what I had to do to stay within the law," the Houston-area Republican said.

"I can't be remorseful for something I don't think I did."

But Senior Judge Pat Priest disagreed with DeLay, saying those who write laws should be bound by them, and sentenced the man once considered one of the nation's most powerful and feared lawmakers to three years in prison.

The sentence came after a jury convicted DeLay in November on charges of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money launder for using a political action committee to illegally send corporate donations to Texas House candidates in 2002.

During a 10-minute speech to the judge before his sentencing, DeLay said the politically motivated case against him had affected his wife's health, forced him to raise and spend $10 million in legal fees and cost him everything he had worked for — including the second-highest post in the U.S. House.

"Just because somebody disagrees with you they got to put you in jail, bankrupt you, destroy your family," he said.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion