Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion

C5 Open Discussion General and technical C5 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2011, 8:56am   #21
Bucwheat
Barn Stall Owner #2558
NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 9.5%

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,762 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6573152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa Vette Guy View Post
Munch
Please post photo's Please, How did they fit up, What did you use to keep them in place, ect.
Thanks Tulsa Vette Guy

Yea,you have a few fans here wanting to know.
Bucwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 4:57pm   #22
Munch
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #00
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2041885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa Vette Guy View Post
Munch
Please post photo's Please, How did they fit up, What did you use to keep them in place, ect.
Thanks Tulsa Vette Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucwheat View Post
Yea,you have a few fans here wanting to know.
Alright already! Sheesh.

First some pics and then my review:

Fresh out of the box.

In the paint booth:

I didn't really want splash guards on my car but the previous owner did and left me with some very unsightly holes in the fenders to deal with.

The guards he had on there were huge so they had to go and I don't want to pay to have the holes repaired and the fenders repainted so here we are.

The L5 guards took forever to get here after I ordered them and they told me they were shipping numerous times but they never did. I don't know if they had a problem over there or if this is how it always is. Anyway it didn't matter because I wasn't in a hurry.

They are fiberglass and come painted flat black. I wet sanded them to get them relatively smooth and was then going to clear them with satin clear but the paint was really thin so i had to paint them as well. The satin clear I used was a little shinier than I wold have liked but we'll see how I like them once they are actually on the car.

On to the fit: Right out of the box they fit perfect, no gaps and the tips butt right up to the inside of the fender as they are supposed to. here is a pic after I painted them just holding them up with no screws or tape being used.

Bill (vafirevet) came over yesterday and we held them up to his car and they didn't fit very well at all, the tips came way out from the fender and looked like they would need some very strong adhesive or screws to hold them in place. Much like the pic from Tulsa Vette Guy.

I think it must have something to do with the way the rear fascia is mounted or something that causes the tops of the guards to be so far away from the fender but I don't know what. I guess I just got lucky with my car thank god. If they hadn't of fit well I would have used some epoxy or something to cement the tips in place as the fender already has holes in it anyway and the only reason I would take them off would be to have the fender repaired.

I haven't mounted them yet but I doubt there will be any problems as you can see from the test fit pic above. I hope this info helps anyone who is on the fence about these.

Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 7:02pm   #23
vafirevet
Vette Barn Regular

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $785
Default Thanks and Enjoyed the Visit

I think they looked and fit very well on your vette. On mine, I'n concerned about the way the top doesn't line up but that might just be a convertable issue.

I'll have to check out the veet issue before I take the leap and purchase them.

I can't wait to see them mounted on your ride!
vafirevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 7:44pm   #24
03SlowZ06
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $100431

Munch you did get lucky. If you remember how much time me and the old man spent getting the ones on the black car to fit seemlessly.
03SlowZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 6:39pm   #25
[email protected]
Charter Member - Vendor

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $590

They look nice on the C5.
JW@JWMotoring.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 9:32am   #26
Tulsa Vette Guy
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $13

Munch, you were very lucky to have them fit up without any mods, I am still working on mine. I E-Mailed Lewis 5 and they were not much help, They said to use more tape, But the 3/M body tape will not hold the tips in place, I guess I will have to use something else like some epoxy . I do not want to drill holes in the tips and into the body, I would just forget it, if that was the case.
Follow up later.
Tulsa Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:52pm   #27
Mamasvette
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $505
Default Same L5 Splash Guard Issue

I know it is a few years later bit when I did a search this forum came up. I had the same experience with L5 Motorsports aka Lewis Five Motorsports as far as customer service is terrible, the splash guards do not fit (like Tulsa Vette Guy) and they do not stick same exact issues 3 years later. The splash guards look like crap don't stick and are falling off exactly like the pictures show. L5 say they stand by their product and have 24/7 support but EVERY time I call them NOBODY answers and I have called different times of the day/evening. They called me back ONLY ONCE and left a voice mail but what good is that when they do not answer their phone. I have communicated with them via email and it has turned into like what Tulsa has experienced, they really don't care (and I have been dealing with the one of the owners). So now I am stuck with these splash guards that don't fit, don't stick and are falling off and I must say were not cheap!!! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO BUY THE SPLASHGUARDS FROM L5 MOTORSPORTS (or anyone that indirectly orders from them). I did not know I was ordering L5 splash guards as I ordered them thru another company and they were being shipped 'direct from manufacturer '. But I would really like to know does anyone have suggestions on how to make these stick?
Mamasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 7:43pm   #28
71corv
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1383

Have had the same problems with my guards. Fit fine right out of the box. Once painted didn't fit all that good. The man that painted them showed me how to sand them to fit. Requires more patience than I have. Result looked good. Right side does not fit as was shown above in a post. Some adjustment in the fascia would probably help this. Did use 2 screws in each side, one underneath and one in the middle of the guard.

Gene :
71corv is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion