Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2018, 2:15pm   #41
GRN ENVY
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #82
BR Car Washer II,III

NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 2.2%

Thanked 1,819 Times in 959 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5504001

How many people here will truly be personally affected by this change? If yes, how so?
GRN ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 2:19pm   #42
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 8,398 Times in 4,251 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Speak of the devil-The Samuel Gompers "Unofficial" slogan.
Attached Images

VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 2:20pm   #43
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 8,398 Times in 4,251 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN ENVY View Post
How many people here will truly be personally affected by this change? If yes, how so?
I have 2 Grandsons close to Cub Scout age-so me.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 2:35pm   #44
Entropy
Fantasy Football Champ '12
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 1,264 Times in 766 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $90918

Quote:
I will be. I actively volunteer at the district, council, regional, and national level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
I can understand why girls would want to join the BSA but I can't see how there won't be a new "Baby's Daddy" badge. I've lived through 2 USN Destroyer Tenders that were half female sailors. The number of births and pregnancies while underway were unreal. And this was with horny 20+ year olds.
Go ahead, lets see 9 months after your first combined jamboree.
One of the sub-camps at this last jamboree was fully integrated with coed venture crews and international scouts. I did have a few issues with some of my guys not respecting boundaries, and I had to have some very frank conversations, but that's part of working with and mentoring young people.

World Jamborees have been coed for decades.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 2:46pm   #45
GRN ENVY
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #82
BR Car Washer II,III

Bantayan Kids '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
I have 2 Grandsons close to Cub Scout age-so me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I will be. I actively volunteer at the district, council, regional, and national level.

One of the sub-camps at this last jamboree was fully integrated with coed venture crews and international scouts. I did have a few issues with some of my guys not respecting boundaries, and I had to have some very frank conversations, but that's part of working with and mentoring young people.

World Jamborees have been coed for decades.

What do you guys thinks the true impact will be? Good or bad? I want to understand the perspective from you guys.
Old 05-07-2018, 5:48pm   #46
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,237 Times in 17,149 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

bill_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 6:14pm   #47
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Quote:
What do you guys thinks the true impact will be? Good or bad? I want to understand the perspective from you guys.
Short term? Who cares? It's the Boy Scouts. Long term? It's what we've been pointing out for, well, pretty much my entire adult life. The long march of the left through the Western institutions, the communist progressive left or whatever you want to call it, continues unabated. Each little battle is a victory for the subjugation of humanity. You might think this to be the ramblings of a madman, hyperbole, or whatever the hell you want to call it. But just for example, look at the political makeup of any major Western institution 50 years ago. And contrast and compare it to today. For a concrete example tell me how many conservative, right-leaning college professors there are in the Ivy Leagues. Hell, in any university system anymore.

No, I couldn't give a rat's ass about this latest little incremental move. It's just par for the course, isn't it? There was the Boy Scouts, and the Girl Scouts. But that couldn't be left alone. No. They love nothing more than brainwashing them early.

I can see the wheels turning in your head "Wait, maybe this is a good thing! Maybe these institutions needed to be changed for the better. Maybe gutting them and turning them into something new and better is what should be done!"

Well, OK, you can think that if you want. But it's terribly naive and incorrect. Dangerously so. Just look what third wave feminism has done to first/second wave.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 6:42pm   #48
chevyman_ky
Vette Barn Regular
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $747

My grandson started in cub scouts went thru webelos and is now in boys scouts. I take him to all scout functions, his dad passed away when he was a little over a year old. I'm a former scout myself. I personally don't like it, the adults will be discussing this soon.
chevyman_ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 7:55pm   #49
markids77
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.7%

Thanked 3,847 Times in 2,216 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1000483

FWIW, the Boy Scouts have allowed (and welcomed) female participants in Explorer posts for a long time now. I was an Explorer for a number of years way back when and the ladies were a welcome addition to the activities. Post 1369, I shit you not.
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 8:19pm   #50
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by markids77 View Post
FWIW, the Boy Scouts have allowed (and welcomed) female participants in Explorer posts for a long time now. I was an Explorer for a number of years way back when and the ladies were a welcome addition to the activities. Post 1369, I shit you not.
Yeah, that wasn’t enough. It’s like Augusta National said you can play the par-3 course, but not the real golf course. They were never going to stop until fully converted. Note that the Girl Scouts remain unchanged. Because not a target.
Old 05-07-2018, 8:26pm   #51
markids77
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.7%

Thanked 3,847 Times in 2,216 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1000483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
Yeah, that wasn’t enough. It’s like Augusta National said you can play the par-3 course, but not the real golf course. They were never going to stop until fully converted. Note that the Girl Scouts remain unchanged. Because not a target.
I did not mention that this was at possibly 40 years ago when the sexes were 2, and the twain never did meet. I do recall some of our female members coming aboard because the Girl Scouts offered nothing similar to their membership at the time. I suspect that might still be the case?

EDIT: Our Post was centered around outdoor activities like rock climbing, skiing, and motorsport. Yes, the girls crewed at Lime Rock as well as attacking overhangs in the Shawangunks.
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 1:45am   #52
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 13,007 Times in 7,317 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

Quote:
Short term? Who cares? It's the Boy Scouts. Long term? It's what we've been pointing out for, well, pretty much my entire adult life. The long march of the left through the Western institutions, the communist progressive left or whatever you want to call it, continues unabated. Each little battle is a victory for the subjugation of humanity. You might think this to be the ramblings of a madman, hyperbole, or whatever the hell you want to call it. But just for example, look at the political makeup of any major Western institution 50 years ago. And contrast and compare it to today. For a concrete example tell me how many conservative, right-leaning college professors there are in the Ivy Leagues. Hell, in any university system anymore.

No, I couldn't give a rat's ass about this latest little incremental move. It's just par for the course, isn't it? There was the Boy Scouts, and the Girl Scouts. But that couldn't be left alone. No. They love nothing more than brainwashing them early.

I can see the wheels turning in your head "Wait, maybe this is a good thing! Maybe these institutions needed to be changed for the better. Maybe gutting them and turning them into something new and better is what should be done!"

Well, OK, you can think that if you want. But it's terribly naive and incorrect. Dangerously so. Just look what third wave feminism has done to first/second wave.

Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 9:41am   #53
GRN ENVY
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #82
BR Car Washer II,III

Bantayan Kids '14

Quote:

Now dont go too far in that rabbit hole, I want to understand and make an educated decision. Dont make an assumption about my stance because Im seeking answers. I want to understand the good, the bad, and the ugly. I prefer to make an educated response.

Will there be good that comes out of this, probably will. Will there be bad, of course. I for see lots of growing pains. I think this was positioned entirely wrong. I would think a merger would have gone over better, and been more accepting. But maybe that wasn't the point. Maybe they wanted controversy to try and get more membership to both programs. Enough resistance and people will dig their feet in the ground in opposition. Its human nature.

I was in scouts and grew to hate it. I jump to a few different troops as I thought some were better than others. Some were considered more prestigious than other. I did learn some valuable lessons about ethics and leadership. What is it also exposed me to favoritism, corruption.

Change is inevitable. You can resist, you can follow, or you can be part of the change. Each path has it's own challenges. What people need to understand is when you know better you do better. If you look at the root of many of today's issues, it boils down to ignorance. Education is key, and being open to learning will take you much further in life. I dont want to stay in one bubble for my whole life. I want to learn, I want to explore, I want to go as far as possible in life, good, bad, and ugly.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:33am   #54
FasterTraffic
A Real Barner

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,411 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2008887

Quote:
https://townhall.com/columnists/scot...couts-n2478109
FasterTraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:44am   #55
Entropy
Fantasy Football Champ '12
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 1,264 Times in 766 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $90918

Quote:
I'm going to go with mixed.

I think you'll see increases in membership in more diverse areas and population centers.

I also think you'll see more rural areas take a hit. This will likely not pitch well in the South (as seen by this thread).

People who are younger than me (under 35) are generally in favor of it, by looking at my social media feeds. Folks who are older (50+) generally don't like it. I think we're seeing some generational shifts.

I did get asked by my local council to be a part of some information gathering meetings during Spring of 2017 as someone who is vested in the program. I didn't speak much, I actually went more to listen. Local scouters I work with want to see more people in scouting, not less. They are excited at the potential at helping more young people, not less.

I get that scouting isn't for everyone, and I'm fortunate to work with some of the best (one young man I've been working with on some national initiatives over the last 3 years just got accepted as a Fulbright scholar). It's helped me be more successful, and my goal is to pay it forward. YMMV.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 3:32pm   #56
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterTraffic View Post
Yeah, it's not as if the SJW's only recently turned their sights on this institution. No, they've been chipping away at it for 20+ years. It takes awhile to infiltrate and hollow out an institution. Fortunately for them, they are super good at it. Then, once they have succeeded in destroying yet another Western institution, they'll wear the carcass as a hair suit and demand your respect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2018, 11:10pm   #57
FasterTraffic
A Real Barner

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,411 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2008887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
My bet is that the Boy Scout's enrollment numbers will plummet to a fraction of what is current, by Feb 2019.
You might be right. The LDS just announced it is severing ties with BSA. Note the following:

Quote:
A year ago, the church was the BSA’s largest faith-based chartering organization and Mormon boys comprised 1 in 6 American Scouts.
FasterTraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 7:12am   #58
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterTraffic View Post
You might be right. The LDS just announced it is severing ties with BSA. Note the following:
They are just taking 450,000 Boy Scouts out of the new Scouts BSA. That's all. But the new Scouts BSA, with it's lovely social justice agenda, and no doubt a merit badges in "Reporting Your Parents to the Authorities" for wrong-think, climate change apathy, lack of donations to the DNC and Planned Parenthood, and ownership of a MAGA hat or fully semi-automatic assault rifle - it's a glorious new day!
Old 05-09-2018, 11:40am   #59
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,237 Times in 17,149 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
They are just taking 450,000 Boy Scouts out of the new Scouts BSA. That's all. But the new Scouts BSA, with it's lovely social justice agenda, and no doubt a merit badges in "Reporting Your Parents to the Authorities" for wrong-think, climate change apathy, lack of donations to the DNC and Planned Parenthood, and ownership of a MAGA hat or fully semi-automatic assault rifle - it's a glorious new day!
Sounds a lot like D.A.R.E.

By the time the kids who have narc'd on their parents realize the irreparable harm they have done to their families, it is too late.
bill_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:52am   #60
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
Sounds a lot like D.A.R.E.

By the time the kids who have narc'd on their parents realize the irreparable harm they have done to their families, it is too late.
Oh, it gets better. Remember when the Boy Scouts were sued and agreed to allow openly homosexual scout leaders? Take a wild guess who it was that forced that on them. Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic