Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2011, 9:30pm   #1
Munch
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #00
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2041885
Default Practice tree?

Anyone know if they make a device you can put on your dash that has a tree and will measure your reaction times, 60', etc? Something like a G meter but with a tree built in.

Thanks.
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 3:37pm   #2
88Z51
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Anyone know if they make a device you can put on your dash that has a tree and will measure your reaction times, 60', etc? Something like a G meter but with a tree built in.

Thanks.
Without actual photocells (or something equivalent) on the ground, I can't imagine anything mounted in the vehicle being even remotely accurate.
88Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 8:55pm   #3
Munch
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #00

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2041885

Well... Say you stop on a deserted road, push the start button and the top yellow comes on, the about 5 seconds later the stage light comes on and the countdown begins. Maybe it has a G meter built in so it knows when you take off and after a 1/4 mile it then would display your reaction, 60', 1/4 times and speed. I bet there is something like that out there but whenever I Google it all I find are ones for your PC that you just click a button with your mouse to stage and click again to go and it gives you a reaction time.. what good is that?
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 2:04am   #4
88Z51
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Well... Say you stop on a deserted road, push the start button and the top yellow comes on, the about 5 seconds later the stage light comes on and the countdown begins. Maybe it has a G meter built in so it knows when you take off and after a 1/4 mile it then would display your reaction, 60', 1/4 times and speed. I bet there is something like that out there but whenever I Google it all I find are ones for your PC that you just click a button with your mouse to stage and click again to go and it gives you a reaction time.. what good is that?
I suppose some sort of laser device could be activated by vehicle movement and could determine distance traveled and provide incremental numbers. Actual reaction times (driver and vehicle) could be determined by the in vehicle tree - activated by a movement sensor in relation to the illumination of the bottom yellow (or green) of the in vehicle tree. Even still, I'm just not seeing such a device as being near as accurate as ground mounted sensors - just too many variables.

As for what good is a practice tree, actually they can be very helpful. While a pc / mouse style is certainly not the optimum design, I have one of the Altronics units that I find to be quite helpful. A few minutes spent with it just before eliminations helps me focus. As a top bulb racer, it helps me focus on reacting to that first flash and letting go of the button, but they are also helpful to bottom bulb racers for getting into the countdown rhythm.

88Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 88Z51 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 6:42pm   #5
slingshot
Vette Barn nOOb

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $525

I bought a Biondo Final Round practive tree with the foot/clutch pedal with a cigarette lighter power cord. I have used it in staging lanes for some practice. You need to carry a board to support the pedal, as the carpet has too much give and affects results. It works well in my living room with an extension cord from Radio Shack for the foot pedal. I set the unit up next to the TV and practice away. It works best with the TV off.
Do a google search for Sal Biondo Racing for a link. You need to go to the real tree and just click on the Final Round and see the accessories available.
I'm sorry, I'm too new here and don't have posting privileges, or I'd have photos up with active links. Maybe in a few days. Check out Sal Biondo Racing for tips on drag racing as well. I am happy with my Final Round, but some can't get used to the foot pedal. I use it as a brake release to launch and activate my RT, as I am a foot brake racer. The final round is very adjustable for any class/type drag racing with several modes readily accessible.
slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slingshot For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Corvette Events/Regional Discussion > Drag Racing