Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > What's Cooking?

What's Cooking? Share your recipes and food preparation tips here.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2018, 8:17am   #1
VetteBoy1979
Barn Raising II
Bantayan Kids '17
NCM Supporter '19
Activity: 2.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $269293
Default Lemon Meringue Pie

I'll admit, this was my first time baking this pie, and I actually made it for a neighbor for his birthday, so I'm not certain if I'll even get a slice

Anyway, I thought I'd pass it on, because during the baking process, tasting spoons were violated and beaters, well, let's suffice to say, they were also fully satisfied.

This is not my recipe, but from Stephan Pyle, a chef here in Texas. I pulled this from his book, "New Tastes from Texas". The full dish name is Mile High Lemon Meringue Pie with Cactus Pear Glaze.

Crust:
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
4-5 Tbls of ice water - (I used about 1/4 cup as the dough was not wet enough to stay together)
1 large egg white

Preheat oven to 425
Combine flour and salt in medium bowl. Add shortening and incorporate with your fingertips and combine until it is the consistency of coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle in some water, constantly stirring with a fork. Form the dough into a ball and let rest, chilled, for 1 hour. (using this small amount of water required me to re-wet the dough and chill an additional 15 minutes dough after the initial 1 hour, to allow it to form into a ball to roll out).
Roll out dough into circle 1/8 think and form into a 9" pie pan. Trim and crimp. Put in freezer 20 minutes.
Remove shell from freezer and prick the bottom and sides with a fork. Press foil snugly over the bottom and sides of the crust, and pour rice or dried beans over foil, and bake for about 6 minutes.
Whisk together egg white and a bit of the ice water (1 Tbls) in a bowl.
Remove foil from pan and brush sides and bottom with egg wash. Bake an additional 8-10 minutes. Remove and let cool before adding pie filling.

Lemon Filling:
1.5 cups sugar
5 Tbls cornstarch
Pinch, not punch, of salt
1.5 cups hot tap water
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1 Tbls lemon zest
2 Tbls unsalted butter (1/4 stick)

Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large saucepan and add the water, whisking continuously, to make a smooth paste. Place the pan over medium heat and slowly bring to a boil, continuing to stir. Cook and stir until thickened, about 1 minute.
Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl, gradually adding about half the hot sugar mixture. Slowly pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan and continue to whisk until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice, zest, and butter. Return the pan to the heat and bring to a boil for 1 minute to thicken, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool completely.

Meringue:
7 large egg whites at room temperature
Pinch of cream of tarter (wth is this stuff anyway?)
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup sugar

Preheat over to 375.
Combine egg whites, cream of targer, and salt in a large bowl. Whip until the whites form soft peaks. Slowly incorporate the sugar, whisking until the meringue is glossy and forms stiff peaks.

Assembly:
2 lemons, peeled with a knife and sectioned with membrane removed.

Fill the cooled pie shell with lemon filling, spreading out evenly. Place the reserved lemon segments on top of the custard. Spread the meringue evenly over the slices, piling it as high as possible, and making sure it touches the crust all the way around to prevent shrinking. Make it pretty with a spatula. Bake for approximately 10 minutes, checking to ensure the meringue does not burn. Serve with Cactus Pear Glaze.

Cactus Pear Glaze:
6 cactus pears (also called white tuna), peeled and chopped
Juice of 3 limes
1/4 cup water
2 Tbls sugar

Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and strain to remove the seeds. Chill and serve.

Please find cheesy videos below I made for my buddy, and a couple of finished photos.
Attached Thumbnails
A758FF7B-FBFC-4394-9483-4EF7F0910AAB.jpg  

23AE1A20-9494-444D-AADD-2DB19CF8A174.jpg  

Attached Files
A6F1DDE4-9AB1-426B-B303-252D8EC8499B.MOV (12.65 MB, 6 views)
VetteBoy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VetteBoy1979 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 8:34am   #2
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 4.3%

Thanked 13,004 Times in 7,316 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

Looks like it came out pretty good!
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > What's Cooking?