Old 11-17-2010, 10:44am   #1
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626
Texas=the second hungriest state

, 2010 2:31pm by Sarah Reiss
Filed under Events, Holidays, Thanksgiving, fundraiser

Thanks to a matching grant, your dollar will now feed eight people.

With all this talk of abundance, it’s important to take a moment for a reality check about the state of hunger in Texas today. Not sure if you knew this, but the USDA reported this morning that Texas is the second hungriest state in the nation. This isn’t just sad news given the fast-approaching holiday season; it’s just plain old sad.

jump to find out how you can make a huge difference…

Donations at the North Texas Food Bank are down 12 percent compared to last year. Seventeen percent of Texas households are at risk of hunger, and 8.8 million Texas households are unable to “provide all members with enough food for an active healthy life.”

So, what can we do? Or, as I like to say, “How can we be helpful?”

Donate, people! It’s the holiday season and if the NTFB is going to meet their goal of handing out 28,000 Thanksgiving turkeys to families in need, they’re gonna need your help. Before now, every dollar that you donated would feed four people. But as of today, thanks to the estate of Harry Fagen, which has posted a matching grant up to $250,000, your one dollar will feed eight people. That means with only a $10 donation, you can help 80 people not go hungry, if only for one day.

More of a do-er than a donator? Simply text NTFB to 85944 to make a quick and easy $10 donation, host your own virtual food drive, or resort to the old-reliable and volunteer at one of NTFB’s kitchens or food distribution programs.

Regardless of how you do it, giving is an essential part of the holiday season. Your inner foodie will thank you, and Texans everywhere will thank you.
Old 11-17-2010, 1:48pm   #2
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

Phat-Azz
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 9:45pm   #3
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $13154

At the present time, I have adopted a Grandson, and paying the ticket for a son out of work so one of my other Grandson's has shelter and food over his head.

I can use some help from the generous, taking donations as my self run business is hurting and no unemployement if I fold (give my share to the Salvation Army)

God Bless America and those that have extra to still give, this year my family is first and I reside in Texas one of the fattest states in America
Peter Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 8:14am   #4
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
At the present time, I have adopted a Grandson, and paying the ticket for a son out of work so one of my other Grandson's has shelter and food over his head.

I can use some help from the generous, taking donations as my self run business is hurting and no unemployement if I fold (give my share to the Salvation Army)

God Bless America and those that have extra to still give, this year my family is first and I reside in Texas one of the fattest states in America
Screw Humanity … The GOP and Tea Party Types think those who take handouts are lazy.

I think the message from them is Yea … God Bless some of America, not All American’s.

Yea can’t have it both ways … se the difference?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:16am   #5
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
Screw Humanity … The GOP and Tea Party Types think those who take handouts are lazy.

I think the message from them is Yea … God Bless some of America, not All American’s.

Yea can’t have it both ways … se the difference?
In my case I am not lazy, my youngest son is, oh I see alot of it around our area of San Antonio, I will no speak for other parts of the country, just what I notice in our metroplex. This is the first time in my adult life we have extended unemployement benefits to 99 weeks and in my kids case he has sat on his ass until the benefits ran out and then I came to the resuce as I did not want my Grandson Homeless. In our area there are jobs that pay more than what his unemployment was, I do not feel sorry for him, just a 7 month old that is innocent, kind of like the 10 month old grandson we are adopting.

I am Taxed Enough Already, I do not feel I need to support non family members as there are jobs out there, just maybe not the ones they want. That is why I created my position all most 13 years ago, it gave me satisfaction of success without anyone else helping. As a country I see to many with there hands out for the free ride, let someone else pay for it I am entitled to free $$ and healthcare

This is the first year in many I have stopped giving to charities, but then supporting two Grandson's I have my own personal family charity and I do see that my $$ are spent how I want on the needy not what someone else wants. I would like to kick my kid's butt, but he is an adult and in America freedom of choice even goes to jobs or not wanting to work.

Our family charity goes further, for the last 5 years my mother in law with two adult children (born mental) are living rent free in our before rent house. Our family is doing the best it can to not tax the taxpayers by taking care of our problems vs asking the taxpayer for handouts, something I do see lacking in our country.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:01pm   #6
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
In my case I am not lazy, my youngest son is, oh I see alot of it around our area of San Antonio, I will no speak for other parts of the country, just what I notice in our metroplex. This is the first time in my adult life we have extended unemployement benefits to 99 weeks and in my kids case he has sat on his ass until the benefits ran out and then I came to the resuce as I did not want my Grandson Homeless. In our area there are jobs that pay more than what his unemployment was, I do not feel sorry for him, just a 7 month old that is innocent, kind of like the 10 month old grandson we are adopting.

I am Taxed Enough Already, I do not feel I need to support non family members as there are jobs out there, just maybe not the ones they want. That is why I created my position all most 13 years ago, it gave me satisfaction of success without anyone else helping. As a country I see to many with there hands out for the free ride, let someone else pay for it I am entitled to free $$ and healthcare

This is the first year in many I have stopped giving to charities, but then supporting two Grandson's I have my own personal family charity and I do see that my $$ are spent how I want on the needy not what someone else wants. I would like to kick my kid's butt, but he is an adult and in America freedom of choice even goes to jobs or not wanting to work.

Our family charity goes further, for the last 5 years my mother in law with two adult children (born mental) are living rent free in our before rent house. Our family is doing the best it can to not tax the taxpayers by taking care of our problems vs asking the taxpayer for handouts, something I do see lacking in our country.
Good for you ...

But charity can be as little as Can Food or Clothing you no longer use.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChasC5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2010, 9:25pm   #7
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
Good for you ...

But charity can be as little as Can Food or Clothing you no longer use.
Those items are going to my son, we are the same size, my Grandson's clothes are going to another family member big family, the can food is going to my son's family. Seems I am doing my share, in the past I donated my clothes to the disabled vets, I am one of them, but not needing extra help. During the holidays past I worked and donated to the Thanksgiving dinner, giving up my family time to help others.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Pan For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion