Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2012, 9:33am   #141
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 3.6%

Thanked 2,698 Times in 1,556 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6269655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post
The United States contrary to what many people believe, was never founded as a "Christan" nation
"The general principles, on which the Fathers achieved independence, were the only Principles in which that beautiful Assembly of young Gentlemen could Unite, and these Principles only could be intended by them in their address, or by me in my answer. And what were these general Principles? I answer, the general Principles of Christianity, in which all these Sects were United: And the general Principles of English and American Liberty, in which all those young Men United, and which had United all Parties in America, in Majorities sufficient to assert and maintain her Independence."

John Adams

"Resistance to tyranny becomes the Christian and social duty of each individual. ... Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us."

John Hancock

"And as it is our duty to extend our wishes to the happiness of the great family of man, I conceive that we cannot better express ourselves than by humbly supplicating the Supreme Ruler of the world that the rod of tyrants may be broken to pieces, and the oppressed made free again; that wars may cease in all the earth, and that the confusions that are and have been among nations may be overruled by promoting and speedily bringing on that holy and happy period when the kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ may be everywhere established, and all people everywhere willingly bow to the sceptre of Him who is Prince of Peace."

Samuel Adams
Millenium Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 9:33am   #142
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 10,171 Times in 4,729 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspencer534 View Post
Yes, he was, but Democrats and Republicans then were just the opposites of what they are now.
That's not true actually.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 9:49am   #143
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
That's not true actually.
Well...10% of them were.
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49am   #144
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,765 Times in 758 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8563902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
"The general principles, on which the Fathers achieved independence, were the only Principles in which that beautiful Assembly of young Gentlemen could Unite, and these Principles only could be intended by them in their address, or by me in my answer. And what were these general Principles? I answer, the general Principles of Christianity, in which all these Sects were United: And the general Principles of English and American Liberty, in which all those young Men United, and which had United all Parties in America, in Majorities sufficient to assert and maintain her Independence."

John Adams

"Resistance to tyranny becomes the Christian and social duty of each individual. ... Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us."

John Hancock

"And as it is our duty to extend our wishes to the happiness of the great family of man, I conceive that we cannot better express ourselves than by humbly supplicating the Supreme Ruler of the world that the rod of tyrants may be broken to pieces, and the oppressed made free again; that wars may cease in all the earth, and that the confusions that are and have been among nations may be overruled by promoting and speedily bringing on that holy and happy period when the kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ may be everywhere established, and all people everywhere willingly bow to the sceptre of Him who is Prince of Peace."

Samuel Adams
The Treaty of Tripoli (Treaty of Peace and Friendship between the United States of America and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli of Barbary) was the first treaty concluded between the United States of America and Tripolitania, signed at Tripoli on November 4, 1796 and at Algiers (for a third-party witness) on January 3, 1797. It was submitted to the Senate by President John Adams, receiving ratification unanimously from the U.S. Senate on June 7, 1797 and signed by Adams, taking effect as the law of the land on June 10, 1797.

It reads:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:03am   #145
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
The Treaty of Tripoli (Treaty of Peace and Friendship between the United States of America and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli of Barbary) was the first treaty concluded between the United States of America and Tripolitania, signed at Tripoli on November 4, 1796 and at Algiers (for a third-party witness) on January 3, 1797. It was submitted to the Senate by President John Adams, receiving ratification unanimously from the U.S. Senate on June 7, 1797 and signed by Adams, taking effect as the law of the land on June 10, 1797.

It reads:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Treaty of Tripoli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:

John Adams
I agree that our nation was not founded on the Christian religion, there has never been a state sponsored religion. However, Christian principles were a part of our independence.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:18am   #146
Hoog
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,425 Times in 727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $123317

Quote:
I agree that our nation was not founded on the Christian religion, there has never been a state sponsored religion. However, Christian principles were a part of our independence.

Ok then....which of these "general principals of Christianity" are exclusive to Christianity, or are explicitly non-secular for that matter?
Hoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:33am   #147
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoog View Post
Ok then....which of these "general principals of Christianity" are exclusive to Christianity, or are explicitly non-secular for that matter?
I'm not saying they are exclusive to Christianity, but rather that the founding fathers used them when our country was founded and referred to them as Christian principles.
Old 06-06-2012, 3:16pm   #148
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 66.2%

Thanked 7,863 Times in 3,508 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
How about what our governor here in Florida is doing to kick tens of thousands of legally registered minorities off the voter rolls? http://www.republicreport.org/2012/r...cial-1billion/ The Koch brothers are behind that mess.

Do you really believe the shit you say??

From your own link:

Quote:
Florida officials had been purging a list of suspected non-citizen voters, estimated at one point to include at least 180,000 people
The reality?

Approximately 2,700 people are in question, approximately 1,500 Hispanics (~56%) and less than 400 blacks (14%). Seing as Florida's largest ethnic immigrant population and the VAST majority of illegals are Hispanic, I don't see what exactly is out of line with those numbers. Common sense (I know that's asking a lot) says that Hispanics would have the largest share.

Those numbers from countless sources both supporting and opposing the purge, including:

Florida weighs warning against voter purge - chicagotribune.com

Purge the purge list - Editorials - MiamiHerald.com

Justice Dept.: Voter purge violates law

There are plenty more.

"Kicking "tens of thousands of legally registered minorities off the voter rolls"??? Are you actually that completely clueless as to what you are talking about or do you willingly choose to ignore facts in an attempt to make whatever point it is you are trying to make?

Perhaps you should consider looking in places other than libtard blogs to get your information.

Quote:
The Republic Report
"Investigating how money corrupts democracy"

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 06-06-2012 at 3:29pm.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic