Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2024, 12:38pm   #81
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 28,365 Times in 12,004 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
So don't use an EV for a road trip, DUH! It works great as a commuter car though.

@Mick @Steve_R @RedLS1GTO
And that's all I use it for. Charging, the car note, and insurance are cheaper than the $600/mo that I was paying in diesel just to get to work and back.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 12:40pm   #82
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 51.4%

Thanked 7,851 Times in 3,501 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
So don't use an EV for a road trip, DUH! It works great as a commuter car though.

I've said many times that I've considered 1 for a commuter... as that's the only thing they're somewhat capable of doing.

With that said, I've yet to find a real benefit that outweighs the downsides.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:42pm   #83
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 28,365 Times in 12,004 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadcad View Post
We should all be thankful for the ev owners paying their share of the gasoline tax to pay for roads and their maintenance---oh wait??
Man, you're really going to flip when you find out how much taxes I don't pay every year on this car, to include registration ($4.00/yr)
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:46pm   #84
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 84.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
A lot of your free charging? Just a little bit ago you told us that you only charged away from home "2 or 3 days a year".

What's funny is that you without question spend way more time monitoring, analyzing, looking up places to charge, and going to places for your "free" charging than I spend pumping gas. Stopping for gas for 5 minutes every couple of weeks = annoyance. Seeking out places with "free" charging, spending more time, walking farther, taking time to hook up, etc... no problem at all.

In this specific example, it also no doubt takes you much longer to hook up your car, walk back and forth from a block away (with kids), and then unhook than it would to fill any other car up with gas.

Your ability to minimize and for the most part seemingly completely ignore the amount of time, thought, and effort that your EV adds to your daily existence is actually admirable on some level.
Wow, maybe your legs will fall off if you walk a block.. OMG... Kids spend like 2 hours+ at the playground. A 3 minute healthy walk won't affect their experience or mine. I charge for free when it's convenient... at Restaurants, playgrounds etc.
Places that I have frequented before EVs as well. There is no additional effort. I could charge exclusively at home and at my current 5.3 cents per kwh rate, it costs me like $30 PER MONTH at best and I would not need to charge outside of my home at all. I have given $30 tip at Restaurants before.. It's pocket change.
GrandSportC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:49pm   #85
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
I like Oliver. Yes he's an EV zealot, meh.
Self made and in good financial shape. A family man. Ambitious and industrious. Right leaning libertarian.
I believe he is an immigrant. He is the embodiment of exactly the kind of person we need to join the USA club.
He is a great American.
I've been in the US for 27 years, most of my life.. Born in Austria/Europe.
I'm Libertarian, neither left nor right but I vote for the lesser evil (GOP) because I'm a realist who knows that the Libertarian party has no chance to win.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GrandSportC3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 12:52pm   #86
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 24,191 Times in 10,975 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
I'm Libertarian, neither left nor right but I vote for the lesser evil (GOP) because I'm a realist who knows that the Libertarian party has no chance to win.
We disagree on a couple issues but I am happy to have you as my American brother.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 12:55pm   #87
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
We disagree on a couple issues but I am happy to have you as my American brother.
Thanks!

I never took any government benefits and I'm paying a ton of taxes every year. I'm 100% for merit based immigration system. We should allow qualified professionals here that won't end up living off taxpayer money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrandSportC3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 1:00pm   #88
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 41,987 Times in 17,486 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
A lot of your free charging? Just a little bit ago you told us that you only charged away from home "2 or 3 days a year".

What's funny is that you without question spend way more time monitoring, analyzing, looking up places to charge, and going to places for your "free" charging than I spend pumping gas. Stopping for gas for 5 minutes every couple of weeks = annoyance. Seeking out places with "free" charging, spending more time, walking farther, taking time to hook up, etc... no problem at all.

In this specific example, it also no doubt takes you much longer to hook up your car, walk back and forth from a block away (with kids), and then unhook than it would to fill any other car up with gas.

Your ability to minimize and for the most part seemingly completely ignore the amount of time, thought, and effort that your EV adds to your daily existence is actually admirable on some level.

Have you ever seen that TV show "Extreme Couponing?" Those women spend countless hours clipping coupons, doing research, planning, etc., all culminating to those trips to the grocery store where they walk out with a huge basket of crap and pay $ 8 for it, while tying up a register and cashier for an hour to do so. That's their thing. They get enjoyment out of the whole process, the hours spent, the endorphin high while checking out for an hour, etc. We all like different things. Some people enjoy fishing/hunting. Some people enjoy road racing. Some people like going to car shows/cars and coffee type events.

And some folks enjoy everything about the electric car lifestyle. Route planning, being "in the know" about where to plug in their cars, calculating their savings when getting 'free' electricity, etc. It's no different than the coupon ladies, or the car enthusiasts tinkering with their cars to get better performance.

For me, I'd rather just know that I can drive to any gas station and fill up, no muss, no secret handshakes, no insider knowledge, just show up and fill up. For me, I'd rather just roll into the grocery store, pick up what I want, check out, and leave. For me, I don't generally buy merchandise in a convenience store, because I'd rather buy the same thing in a regular store where it's cheaper. I always make coffee at home, vs. So I'm willing to put up with some inconvenience in the name of cost savings, but not THAT much.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 1:08pm   #89
Vandelay Industries
Barn Stall Owner #14/32

Thanked 13,386 Times in 5,120 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4810

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
Quote:
I agree with Lars.

.... but if you decide to start making protest votes for clueless commie leftists, we'll need to ask you to leave.
Vandelay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vandelay Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 1:13pm   #90
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 8,437 Times in 4,266 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

I propose a BOD for the OP since he opened a new GS EV thread.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VatorMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 1:22pm   #91
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 41,987 Times in 17,486 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

DJ:

Maybe you should consider springing for an AAA membership. They offer emergency roadside charging in the Orlando area"

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2022/12/ele...mber-benefits/

Quote:
Electrifying AAA Member Benefits
No matter if your vehicle is electric or gas-powered, AAA can serve you!

Brittany Moye Public Relations & Content Manager
[email protected]
12/1/2022

ORLANDO, FL. (December 1, 2022) – AAA is expanding its capabilities and membership perks by creating innovative roadside solutions geared toward electric vehicle owners. But – AAA is not new to the electric vehicle space. Over a decade ago, as the electric vehicle market began to heat up, AAA launched a mobile charging pilot for electric vehicles in select markets. AAA also continues to invest in research related to electric vehicles to understand consumer opinion, vehicle functionality, and other areas of interest. As the popularity of electric vehicles continues to grow, as indicated by a recent AAA study, AAA is prepared to service any vehicle type, whether electric or gas.

“If you’re a AAA member, you already know that we’re more than just roadside assistance service,” said Cliff Ruud, AAA’s managing director of automotive solutions. “We’re also committed to supporting our members through big purchase decisions – like buying an electric vehicle. As automakers continue to incorporate advanced styling and the latest innovative technology into electric vehicles, we are committed to learning, developing, and servicing the vehicles our members are driving.”
Mobile Electric Vehicle Charging Now Available in Select Cities

AAA is excited to announce a new phase of mobile electric charging solutions in 14 markets across the country. This is the second pilot of its kind that AAA has brought to the marketplace in the last decade. The purpose of the first pilot, launched in 2010, was to explore a few prototype technologies that could be used to charge electric vehicles at the roadside. After 10 years of service, all the original prototype vehicles (five total) were retired. AAA took learnings from that pilot to inform this next iteration.

Range anxiety has been the number one barrier between consumers and wider EV adoption. AAA can help ease this anxiety with specialized trucks equipped with mobile electric vehicle chargers that provide enough range to get drivers home or to the nearest charging station.
This program is currently being piloted in the following cities:
Orlando, FL
Nashville, TN
Charlotte, NC
Denver, CO
Grand Rapids, MI
Avon, MA
Providence, RI
West Springfield, MA
Bend, OR
Portland, OR
Indianapolis, IN
San Francisco, CA
Philadelphia, PA
Harrisburg, PA
Peabody, MA

For AAA members, this service is provided at no additional charge. AAA will continue to assess the demand for mobile electric vehicle charging and will add locations as needed. As part of this evaluation, AAA will also explore various mobile charging methods to deliver the best experience to its members. Subscribe to the AAA Newsroom to receive the latest updates surrounding the mobile electric vehicle charging pilot.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 2:44pm   #92
Unsuspicious
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,000 Posts

I just bought a second EV
So if I forget to charge one, there will be the other one to use
Unsuspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 3:26pm   #93
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 44.6%

Thanked 7,225 Times in 3,200 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
So don't use an EV for a road trip, DUH! It might work as a commuter car though, depending on your commute.

I'll agree with the above.

My wife is retired. She goes shopping, out with the girls, etc. She even has an old friend that lives about 2 hours from us. Once a month or so they meet half way to have lunch and go shopping. Any decent EV will handle that trip with ease, and all of her other noodling around.

At one time, she was commuting from here in North Jersey to White Plains NY, about a 1.5 hour drive each way without traffic, and there was ALWAYS traffic at rush hour. EV good for that? It depends. On a 70 degree spring day? Sure. A day like today? Nope.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 3:47pm   #94
higgyburners
A Real Barner
Activity: 35.3%

Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,357 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1027436

Quote:
I fuel up twice a week most weeks.
Usually never let the tank go below 1/2 full.
Looking forward to installing a 500 gallon diesel tank at the farm. Going to be super convenient to top off the truck right there at the house.
A 5' x 10' Horizontal Cylindrical tank will get you roughly 1400 gallons at 96% full...Go Big or Go Home... 3 sheets of 5'x10' 12Ga Stainless should be enough for the body, baffles, and end caps....you do the welding and save yourself some money.
higgyburners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 3:51pm   #95
LATB
A Real Barner

Thanked 24,191 Times in 10,975 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgyburners View Post
A 5' x 10' Horizontal Cylindrical tank will get you roughly 1400 gallons at 96% full...Go Big or Go Home... 3 sheets of 5'x10' 12Ga Stainless should be enough for the body, baffles, and end caps....you do the welding and save yourself some money.
I may consider a 1000 gal but 500 is plenty. I believe the tanks are treated/coated on the inside to prevent rust and some are double wall.
They are not crazy expensive.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 4:11pm   #96
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 82.4%

Thanked 18,824 Times in 8,341 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Ok tell us about your commercial development experience.
You claim I'm wrong - the burden of proving so is on you.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 4:13pm   #97
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 82.4%

Thanked 18,824 Times in 8,341 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I'll agree with the above.

My wife is retired. She goes shopping, out with the girls, etc. She even has an old friend that lives about 2 hours from us. Once a month or so they meet half way to have lunch and go shopping. Any decent EV will handle that trip with ease, and all of her other noodling around.

At one time, she was commuting from here in North Jersey to White Plains NY, about a 1.5 hour drive each way without traffic, and there was ALWAYS traffic at rush hour. EV good for that? It depends. On a 70 degree spring day? Sure. A day like today? Nope.
So in summary:

EVs don't work well for Cannonball-style road trips. Check.
EVs don't work well for people with nightmare commutes. Check.

dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 4:17pm   #98
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 90.3%

Thanked 33,909 Times in 11,919 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
You claim I'm wrong - the burden of proving so is on you.
I see your lessons from BaghdadBadger are going well.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 4:18pm   #99
zeek
A Real Barner

Thanked 7,711 Times in 2,631 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $555

Quote:
So in summary:

EVs don't work well for Cannonball-style road trips. Check.
EVs don't work well for people with nightmare commutes. Check.

In summary:

EV's dont work well in cold climates.
EV's dont work well when on fire.

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 4:30pm   #100
Vandelay Industries
Barn Stall Owner #14/32

Thanked 13,386 Times in 5,120 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
I see your lessons from BaghdadBadger are going well.
link?
Vandelay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vandelay Industries For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic