Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2024, 6:50pm   #61
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 41,989 Times in 17,486 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 7:05pm   #62
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,513 Times in 4,786 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

I would spend more than $75 on e85 for spirited roundtrip to courthouse.
Onebadcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 7:51pm   #63
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,509 Times in 14,293 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Mail them a photo of the check.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 8:04pm   #64
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 14.0%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,238 Times in 4,396 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

It's some sort of scam, independent of where you live. The reason it's 0 points is no witness. Also, for a points offense, I would not look at anything but an official summons.

Here in town, they will eventually just leave you alone if you ignore them, but is the money worth the bother? You need to seek info from locals on how your state/county/city handles this stuff and then make a decision.

Highly unlikely they will find a technical issue whether true, or not.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 8:08pm   #65
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 88.1%

Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snide View Post
Mail them a photo of the check.

Name:  images (11).jpeg
Views: 60
Size:  5.4 KB
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 8:10pm   #66
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 14.0%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,238 Times in 4,396 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
Can't wait to see this shredded in court...
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 12:57am   #67
Torqaholic
A Real Barner
Activity: 21.6%

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,439 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15637580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
... in the video ...
Why guess? If you have the video you can prove exactly how fast you were going by using a stopwatch, a measuring tape, and a bit of math.
Torqaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 9:28am   #68
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 8,437 Times in 4,266 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

If it was here, it would cost you $20 to park near the courthouse and at least 5 hours of your time listening to others plead to the judge.

Case in point-I was fighting a parking ticket-for the same reason you are. I won my case and was asking the judge a question and he said-you won-move on ! So, you may win your case but lose in the end.

Just pay the fine.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 9:36am   #69
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 4,553 Times in 2,137 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2001216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ben View Post
If they did not send the letter by Registered Mail do not look at the video. They have no indication that you received the letter unless you open the video. If try to do something then just tell them that you never received the letter.
A mile or two a certain distance before the traffic device there was a sign notifying the driver, of its existence. Therefore, the driver was previously notified, which would destroy this defense.
Don Rickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:14am   #70
Craig
Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 2.2%

Thanked 3,561 Times in 1,956 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1037769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqaholic View Post
Why guess? If you have the video you can prove exactly how fast you were going by using a stopwatch, a measuring tape, and a bit of math.
That was going to be my defense.

Yesterday I was able to renew the tags on all my vehicles, so that’s one less worry, at least for another year.

I’m starting to lose interest in this little misadventure. I’m going to call the number on the notice and see what’s involved in disputing it, but I’m inclined to just pay the fine (as disdainful at being scammed by my own government is), and get on with life.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:18am   #71
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 90.3%

Thanked 33,909 Times in 11,919 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
I’m starting to lose interest in this little misadventure. I’m going to call the number on the notice and see what’s involved in disputing it, but I’m inclined to just pay the fine (as disdainful at being scammed by my own government is), and get on with life.

Wise choice. Unless $75 really hurts you, which I'm doubting, it's not worth the hassle.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 11:25am   #72
Big bob
A Real Barner

That is what they are training you for.

The Following User Says Thank You to Big bob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 11:36am   #73
Vandelay Industries
Barn Stall Owner #14/32
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 13,387 Times in 5,121 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqaholic View Post
He already did that and proved he was speeding, just not as fast.
Vandelay Industries is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vandelay Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 1:27pm   #74
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
That was going to be my defense.

Yesterday I was able to renew the tags on all my vehicles, so that’s one less worry, at least for another year.

Request discovery. Request copies of every ticket issued from that camera for the month before, day of, and month after, your ticket. Were the other cars depicted going the same speed on your video also ticketed? If not, why not?

Last time I checked, unequal treatment under the law was a violation of the US Constitution:

Quote:
Amendment XIV
Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
There's no excuse of, "well, your honor, I couldn't stop them all." This guy sits in a room and watches videos of cars all day. He absolutely CAN catch them all. The unblinking eye sees to that.

I would also request the jacket of the officer who signed off on the ticket....get his complaint history, internal affairs history, previous departments, etc. You have a right to face your accuser, and a right to know who it is that is personally accusing you. Is that officer on a Brady list? I mean, think about the guy they stick into a job like that. Probably not the greatest cop who tracks down murderers and rapists, or pulls people out of burning cars. Lots of brave, heroic cops are out on the streets....but not this guy. Probably not a cop that had a good experience on the street, interacting with the public. I'm guessing there's some bad history there, and the department stuck him there to keep him away from the public. He's just an anonymous signature on a bullshit extortion scheme, that most people won't bother to fight over $ 75.

We never had speed cameras in Texas, but we did have red light cameras. Never got a ticket, but I damn sure wouldn't have paid it, as there was no repercussion for not paying. But if there was, I'd make it my mission to fight. I'd happily spend more than $ 75 in time and effort fighting, and more importantly make THEM spend way more than $ 75 trying to extort the $ 75 from you.

As the defendant, you have the right to discovery, including exculpatory material. Is this cop on the Brady list? Seems likely. What other kind of cop would sign up to sit in a room and sign speed camera tickets all day? Is that really why anyone signs up to be a police officer? I'm guessing not.

I'd also request copies of all contracts and correspondence between the red light camera company, and the county that hired them. Request phone records between city phones and city issued cell phones to or from the camera company. Maybe you can ferret out some corruption there? See if any of the local news investigators have done any work on this, or would they like to. I can't imagine this crap is popular, and it would make for good tv ratings if you or they find some dirt. Request the campaign donations to city officials from the red light camera company. Bury them in paperwork. Make them earn their money.

Just my $ .02's........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 1:31pm   #75
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 90.3%

Thanked 33,909 Times in 11,919 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Request discovery. Request copies of every ticket issued from that camera for the month before, day of, and month after, your ticket. Were the other cars depicted going the same speed on your video also ticketed? If not, why not?

Last time I checked, unequal treatment under the law was a violation of the US Constitution:

There's no excuse of, "well, your honor, I couldn't stop them all." This guy sits in a room and watches videos of cars all day. He absolutely CAN catch them all. The unblinking eye sees to that.

I would also request the jacket of the officer who signed off on the ticket....get his complaint history, internal affairs history, previous departments, etc. You have a right to face your accuser, and a right to know who it is that is personally accusing you. Is that officer on a Brady list? I mean, think about the guy they stick into a job like that. Probably not the greatest cop who tracks down murderers and rapists, or pulls people out of burning cars. Lots of brave, heroic cops are out on the streets....but not this guy. Probably not a cop that had a good experience on the street, interacting with the public. I'm guessing there's some bad history there, and the department stuck him there to keep him away from the public. He's just an anonymous signature on a bullshit extortion scheme, that most people won't bother to fight over $ 75.

We never had speed cameras in Texas, but we did have red light cameras. Never got a ticket, but I damn sure wouldn't have paid it, as there was no repercussion for not paying. But if there was, I'd make it my mission to fight. I'd happily spend more than $ 75 in time and effort fighting, and more importantly make THEM spend way more than $ 75 trying to extort the $ 75 from you.

As the defendant, you have the right to discovery, including exculpatory material. Is this cop on the Brady list? Seems likely. What other kind of cop would sign up to sit in a room and sign speed camera tickets all day? Is that really why anyone signs up to be a police officer? I'm guessing not.

Just my $ .02's........

You must be bored with a lot of free time to do all that. It's $75 and no points. The time and effort you describe to attempt to get out of paying $75 isn't worth it.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 1:37pm   #76
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
You must be bored with a lot of free time to do all that. It's $75 and no points. The time and effort you describe to attempt to get out of paying $75 isn't worth it.
They count on people evaluating this crap as a nuisance they can just pay to end. That's exactly why few probably fight. That's cooked into the whole scheme.

I have the time, and it's a matter of principle. They're besmirching Craig's good name, accusing him of a crime he clearly states that he was not committing. He admits to going over, but not grossly over, the speed limit, which is what he is being accused of. If he was accused of rape, but he could just write a $ 75 check and make it all go away, should he just write the check? Many would. I wouldn't.

I'll at least go down swinging.

Look at what's going on in Fulton County, GA, with the corrupt DA, homegirl Fani. Somebody took the time to investigate the crooked shit going on because of principle. Sidney Powell and a few others didn't bother....they paid their figurative $ 75 fines. But one man said no.

Respect.
Old 01-24-2024, 1:51pm   #77
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

And the obvious scam here is, Georgia considers these tickets CRIMINAL. If you don't pay, they can arrest you:

https://blinksandbuttons.net/are-cam...al-in-georgia/

Quote:
1. Do I have to pay the camera speeding ticket in Georgia?

The fine for a camera speeding ticket in Georgia is generally around $75 to $100. If you fail to pay it, the court may issue a warrant for your arrest. Therefore, it is advisable to pay the ticket even if you feel that you have been wrongly accused.
Since the matter is criminal in nature, not only do you have a right to face your accuser, you also SHOULD have a right to trial by jury:

Quote:
Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.
If this was a civil matter, you couldn't be arrested for non payment, just as you can't be arrested for not paying your electric bill. The remedy is to sue for the money owed in civil court. The fact that they will NOT allow you to have the case heard by a jury of your peers....that's de facto proof this is bullshit.

Since it's criminal, the officer can and should be deposed, and then subpoenaed for trial. See what embarrassing stuff you can get him to say. See if you can catch him in lies. Make him defend his own record and history.

I'd fight, and if I won and got it tossed, I'd then file a claim on the officer's bond, for making a false accusation, and I'd contact anyone else who managed to have their cases dismissed do the same thing....file bond claims.

Even if the bond company chooses not to pay, eventually, getting hit with multiple demand letters on this one guy is going to make them want to not insure him going forward.

Quote:
Chapter 8 - County Police
§ 36-8-3. Bonds and Actions Thereon
Universal Citation: GA Code § 36-8-3 (2020)

Upon the election of county police, each of them shall enter into a good and solvent bond, in a sum of not less than $1,000.00, to be fixed by the county governing authority, conditioned for the faithful performance of all their duties. Anyone injured or damaged by any one of such county police may bring an action upon his bond in his name or in the name of the county governing authority for his benefit or use.

(Ga. L. 1909, p. 156, § 6; Civil Code 1910, § 854; Ga. L. 1914, p. 142, § 6; Code 1933, § 23-1406.)
I don't think $ 1,000 would be enough to restore my reputation for a flagrant false accusation of criminal behavior, but it would be a start.
Old 01-24-2024, 2:19pm   #78
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 3,956 Times in 1,657 Posts

I had to sue a local township to recover a $100.00 water deposit on a rental. Had to take time off work for court and lost more $ than I got back, but I enjoyed forcing one of their councilmen to the hearing and that sweet, sweet smell of victory, plus interest.
Dan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dan47 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 3:31pm   #79
Big bob
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post

IT'S NOT THE MONEY, SOME JUST DON'T BEND OVER ON COMMAND
Old 01-24-2024, 3:44pm   #80
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 82.4%

Thanked 18,824 Times in 8,341 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
One time many years ago (When I was still in high school) I got pulled over for speeding. I pointed out to the officer that the car next to me was going even faster than I was. The officer replied "Ever go fishing? Ever catch all the fish?"

Trust me, they have an answer for every bullshit defense you can possibly think of.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic