Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2024, 7:55pm   #61
BADRACR1
Barn Stall Owner #5150
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 4.7%

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,514 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2000032332

My favorite response when I hear "okay, boomer" is to reply, "no problem, renter".
Think I learned that from here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240514_205904_Gallery.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	102241
BADRACR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BADRACR1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2024, 11:37pm   #62
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 67.7%

Thanked 3,888 Times in 1,753 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

I'm the oldest guy on my street at 73; next closest is 62. None of them call me boomer.I I help get their cars (and motorcycles) running, fix their pool equipment, do a little carpentry for some, and let their kids use my car for a wind tunnel test for a school science project. When the neighbors say "I know a guy" - well, I'm that guy.

Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 12:05am   #63
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.1%

Thanked 10,369 Times in 4,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
I'm the oldest guy on my street at 73; next closest is 62. None of them call me boomer.I I help get their cars (and motorcycles) running, fix their pool equipment, do a little carpentry for some, and let their kids use my car for a wind tunnel test for a school science project. When the neighbors say "I know a guy" - well, I'm that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBdkeBlxP1c
It’s an internet thing. It just started within the past 10 or so years online.

Never in my life, before that, did I ever hear anybody trash an entire generation for “screwing up the world.”

Stupid kids. 🧒
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 6:11am   #64
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 24,520 Times in 11,129 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:

Respect to you sir.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 6:40am   #65
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Thanked 4,641 Times in 2,185 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2001216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
I actually did that to my son once. This was after years of YMCA swim lessons, swimming in lakes and at the beach. He was maybe 8 years old, and I pushed him into our neighborhood pool when he was not expecting. He came out, pissed, 'Why did you do that!?' My answer: "so you will know what to do if someone else does it to you."
You took my post literally.

It was meant, to compare my "sink or swim" to life, to child development. To today's upbringing, the way the young are being taught. There's always a net, a tube, a water wing, something or someone always there to protect them from falling down and getting hurt.....or completely failing the lesson.

My kids didn't have water wings, we taught them how to swim, they didn't die. They either learned or kept themselves out of the pool until they did.....
Don Rickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 6:46am   #66
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 30.3%

Thanked 7,255 Times in 3,213 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
It’s an internet thing. It just started within the past 10 or so years online.

Never in my life, before that, did I ever hear anybody trash an entire generation for “screwing up the world.”

Stupid kids. 🧒
My favorite is when young folks say "baby boomers ruined social security". I'm a baby boomer, and all I have done is pay into that system for 46 years and counting, and I'm still 7 years away from my normal retirement age. Hint: It wasn't me.

It's the liberals the young ****s keep voting into office who stole every ****ing dollar they could from that system that has ruined it.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 7:13am   #67
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 42.9%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,959 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
My favorite is when young folks say "baby boomers ruined social security". I'm a baby boomer, and all I have done is pay into that system for 46 years and counting, and I'm still 7 years away from my normal retirement age. Hint: It wasn't me.

It's the liberals the young ****s keep voting into office who stole every ****ing dollar they could from that system that has ruined it.
-

I worked, started early and paid in a lot. Now when I get old enough to get some of my money, taken without my consent comes back to me, I'm a bad guy.
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6spdC6 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 7:19am   #68
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:

Devils advocate: Who reared and raised the young......did you beat your kids? My parents weren't shy with a belt.....I lived, but I never raised a hand. My mistake.
Old 05-15-2024, 7:38am   #69
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:

Yep.

FDR and the other Commies in DC put SS into place long before I was born, as part of the "make everyone dependent on gov't" agenda.

I paid into it starting in 1965, never made enough to get over the high income limit, started drawing in 2013. I never had any voting power for or against it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rights PJ Orourke.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	102262
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 8:27am   #70
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 42.9%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,959 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Yep.

FDR and the other Commies in DC put SS into place long before I was born, as part of the "make everyone dependent on gov't" agenda.

I paid into it starting in 1965, never made enough to get over the high income limit, started drawing in 2013. I never had any voting power for or against it.

Attachment 102262
I hear you! I never voted on having that money taken out and sure as shit had no control as the politicians raided the fund for way too many reasons. If they left it alone and used it as it was designed for their would be lots of money in the fund.

I started working at a "real after school job" and had money withdrawn real early. As time went on I went over the take out limit for quite a few years. Yeah I worked lots of heavy duty construction and thusly had lots deducted from my envelope. Then as they kept raising the take out limit I had money deducted all year. When I early retired from my union I started taking SS just as soon as I could!
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6spdC6 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 8:35am   #71
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 30.3%

Thanked 7,255 Times in 3,213 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rickles View Post
Devils advocate: Who reared and raised the young......did you beat your kids? My parents weren't shy with a belt.....I lived, but I never raised a hand. My mistake.
No, I never beat my kids, nor intentionally caused them any physical pain or discomfort. If a 5 year old can get the best of you to the point where you feel you need to hit them, you're a moron.

Just one man's opinion.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 8:36am   #72
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 67.7%

Thanked 3,888 Times in 1,753 Posts

It rankles me that some friends and relatives look at where I an now and tell me "You've been lucky". I guess 45 years of saving regularly, making good financial decisions, moving all over the country for promotions and working my azz off in sweaty aircraft hangars until I could climb the ranks and get an executive white collar position after years of night school is "lucky".

So weird ? Right ? Godd@mn boomers.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 8:46am   #73
MikeB
Barn Stall Owner #115
Activity: 19.4%

Thanked 5,058 Times in 2,288 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $610854

Quote:

So, now I know who "That one guy" is.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 8:48am   #74
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
It rankles me that some friends and relatives look at where I an now and tell me "You've been lucky". I guess 45 years of saving regularly, making good financial decisions, moving all over the country for promotions and working my azz off in sweaty aircraft hangars until I could climb the ranks and get an executive white collar position after years of night school is "lucky".

I've lived below my means all my life, worked full time and a lot of overtime since I got out of high school, was self-employed from 1985 til I was forced to retire in 2021, never took one penny of unemployment or other gov't "assistance," learned investing by myself and never paid anyone for advice, and now have more income from my portfolio than I ever had while working.

And I ruined the country for younger generations?

Name:  .Badgie Uncle Scrooge.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  102.2 KB
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 8:58am   #75
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:
No, I never beat my kids, nor intentionally caused them any physical pain or discomfort. If a 5 year old can get the best of you to the point where you feel you need to hit them, you're a moron.

Just one man's opinion.
Flash back to the early 60's and tell that to my mother's, wife beating, child whipping, alcoholic second husband.

To the final breaking point in my teens, I literally picked him up, turned him upside down with my arms trapping his arms and dunked him in the toilet head first! That ended it all. Might I regress.....

My point is we raised these punks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Rickles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 9:37am   #76
Tikiman
Barn Stall Owner #117
Activity: 99.4%

Thanked 11,811 Times in 4,351 Posts

Quote:

I get the same thing. My "White privilege" consisted of spending my nights studying until 11:00 and getting up at 5:00 to go to work every morning, taking on tasks at work that nobody wanted, and keeping my nose clean to maintain my security clearance. Guess I was just "lucky" as well.
Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tikiman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 9:46am   #77
Tikiman
Barn Stall Owner #117
Activity: 99.4%

Thanked 11,811 Times in 4,351 Posts

Quote:

And I ruined the country for younger generations?

People like you are the problem. But, don't worry. The purple hair nose ring crowd is going to fix everything. Just as soon as they figure out which restroom to use.
Attached Images

Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tikiman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 9:50am   #78
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
People like you are the problem. But, don't worry. The purple hair nose ring crowd is going to fix everything. Just as soon as they figure out which restroom to use.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:21am   #79
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 8,162 Times in 4,039 Posts

Quote:

My loser ne'er do-well family member tells me how 'lucky' I am. Decades of living under my means, budgeting, investing cautiously, never buying a new car, re-locating for the job, etc. and here I am, retired comfortably. I tell him "the harder I worked and the less money I blew, the luckier I got."
I had so much sick time banked when I retired it added up to almost a half a year.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2024, 11:57am   #80
LATB
A Real Barner

Thanked 24,520 Times in 11,129 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:

Ditto.

My family and some friends don’t understand how I, from such humble beginnings, have been able to achieve what I have.
Maybe it was working for 55 continuous years since 8 years old. Maybe it was the weekends and holidays that I worked. Maybe it was not being attracted to every last shiny object.

Meanwhile they are still taking multiple annual trips to Vegas and cruises. While I’m nursing a broken and worn out body from all the hard work.

And, truth is, I don’t have near as much money that some think I have. But I make what I have work for me.

I literally have a 75 year old sister who has never had a job in her life. Never had a drivers license or owned a car. Never owned a house or property. But she has 4 kids from two separate fathers. And more grands and great grandkids than I can keep up with.

I think it was mom’s funeral when her latest husband wondered how I got rich. I never “got rich” because I’m not rich. What I am is one who bites off more than I should…and chew like hell.
Meanwhile he’s a grossly overweight fool who is always buying the latest version of whatever electronic gizmo that the corporate marketeers are pushing. Idiot.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic