Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2024, 10:42am   #41
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 44.2%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,530 Times in 1,943 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
I have the best neighbors possible. Been here 42 years, no real conflicts with any of them. House are 1,000 or so feet apart, give or take.
I have great year around neighbors. (1 at about 500' from my house) Have two flatlanders, one is great only comes up a few weekends in summer. My other flatland neighbor (about 200') has been nothing but trouble. They start it I finish it, all the legalities are on my side. Had to go the lawyer route a couple times, the last time he realy got their attention!
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6spdC6 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 10:43am   #42
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 42,092 Times in 17,531 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
As I live on a lake with a lot of forests around its hard to see a lot from the ground unless you actually leave the main road and visit all the secluded places. Every now and then they take up a plane and look around, taking pictures if necessary. I have seen some of the result in the past, they go up in late fall when the leaves are off the trees. A camp that is double the size it should be, a large garage when there is no garage on the property plot. Shit like that.

When I retired and moved up to the lake (2004) they had a opening for a building inspector. At that time things were a bit slow so it was part time with the office only open a couple days a week. Now its full time and hectic.

I applied not for the money, for something to do. My years in the building trades were sufficient to make me acceptable. Long story short I did not get the appointed job. Believe it or not 5 people applied!

Was interviewed by the town supervisor and the retiring building inspectors and the one big thing I came away with was to be as easy rule wise as you legally could be. Try to work with the people not make their life as hard as it could be. You got to love small town America.

The town I came from was well known to be a PITA regarding anything that was under the jurisdiction of the building department.

The important thing here isn't haranguing people over not getting a permit, the important thing is to find taxable stuff, like the garage that didn't get reported voluntarily, so it could be taxed by the local taxing authorities. That's what it's all really about....tax revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
Nobody needs a permit if they do not catch you!

Where I used to live we went from sceptic to sewers.
They posted some rule that said you had to be a licensed plumber to do the work. I did all the inside work and let the licensed contractor that had the backhoe and equipment make the street tie in. (was much cheaper that way!)

The building department tried to make trouble because of the work I did. I made a lot of noise and the head of the department came to the house. Showed him my union card and told him I have been doing work like this before the inspector that came to the house was a twinkle in his father eye. The "head' signed off and that was the end of the story.
I was skeptical the first few times, too, but it's true. You really CAN pipe the shit right out of your home. Color me impressed.

Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 11:51am   #43
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 11,607 Times in 5,724 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

This thread has been rather/very amusing to me in that for about 20 years now out of the 28 or so I been here, a fellow on the outer corner bend in my road had about 1/2 acre or more because of lay of the land and some drainage ditches that have been here since before time..... I can see the house about 4 h ouses up the street, and on the outer part of the bend, so it's facing down the hill I am on.....

Well, the friendly guy passed on some time ago....and his MOTHER is still in her house HE was about age 53 and has an older brother I have spoken to in the last couple weeks......about the cause/effect of the MASSIVE HISTORICAL cleanup been going on.....try about 40 cars outta the back yard, another dozen on the side yards, and about 8 in various stages of 'repair' in the front yard....

they been going on near a DOZEN of the YEUGGE full size dumpsters that take a full size flatbed to haul...dumped in the driveway, and filled with JUNK from inside and outside of the house.....I understand the house was not walkable...all car junk.....

even the front lot has been like that for some years......made a junkyard look sparce......they been cleaning/moving/selling/junking cars and one large camper for the last month or so, and have a crew of guys doing the work.....

mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 12:00pm   #44
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 4.0%

Thanked 12,544 Times in 5,858 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
And, strangely, the rats keep voting for their own demise.

Anyone who wants more government is a tool and fool. They ALWAYS push the areas they control so they can grow their power It's is inevitable and we have over 5,000 years of human history to prove it.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 1:26pm   #45
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 71.9%

Thanked 3,852 Times in 1,734 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

13 years, that's THIRTEEN YEARS after I moved from Maryland to Florida I got a $4,700 bill (including fines) from the MD DMV for driving an uninsured car Since they claimed I didn't turn in my MD license plates upon leaving for all 4 of my cars, they assumed I was running around MD uninsured somehow. I DID turn in the tags and told them to piss up a rope.. They threatened to collect from my state tax refund..

Since Florida has no state taxes I laughed it off and they did the same every year for 4 more years until they lowered the amount to $750; I still wouldn't pay and after 3 more years they dropped the whole thing.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 1:44pm   #46
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 10,311 Times in 4,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post

Anyone who wants more government is a tool and fool. They ALWAYS push the areas they control so they can grow their power It's is inevitable and we have over 5,000 years of human history to prove it.
If you know some libtards, and dig into their brains a bit and analyze what they say and how they think, you'll come up with this (or at least I did):

Government is their god. They love gov't and will do whatever they are told. They like being subjected, but don't think that they are because they cannot define "liberty," and so don't know when it's being taken away from them.

They will panic and think the world is ending upon hearing anyone talking about reducing the size of government. They cannot fathom living on their own, without government's "benevolent" hand guiding them and giving them money that was confiscated from other Americans.

I know a radical left-wing retired college professor (he's from France) who would not accept that the only things governments have is that which they've taken from their people. He thinks that land, buildings, money that gov't has just happened to appear out of thin air -- apparently.

They know nothing of history and of what happens, without fail, when power is centralized. Or they will say: "Yeah that regime was bad, but that can't happen here."

I doubt you could find 1 out of 100 libtards who know that Communist governments murdered 100-200 million of their own citizens via exposure, starvation, torture, left to die, or executed (not via wars) in the 20th century.

The one that you might find out of 100 would likely say, "Well they weren't doing Communism right."
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 2:13pm   #47
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.1%

Thanked 8,101 Times in 4,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
Fkn Nazis.
ICNLT
I agree. **** that.
GTOguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 2:24pm   #48
Tikiman
Barn Stall Owner #117
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 11,642 Times in 4,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
13 years, that's THIRTEEN YEARS after I moved from Maryland to Florida I got a $4,700 bill (including fines) from the MD DMV for driving an uninsured car Since they claimed I didn't turn in my MD license plates upon leaving for all 4 of my cars, they assumed I was running around MD uninsured somehow. I DID turn in the tags and told them to piss up a rope.. They threatened to collect from my state tax refund..

Since Florida has no state taxes I laughed it off and they did the same every year for 4 more years until they lowered the amount to $750; I still wouldn't pay and after 3 more years they dropped the whole thing.

Back around 2010, I sold a rental house I owned in Laurel, MD. At the settlement table, they kept my capital gains tax. I called my accountant, who lives and works in Maryland, and told him what happened. He laughed and said, "Yeah, they do that. Maryland is broke so they try to keep anything they can get their hands on. I'll take care of it." He filed some papers and I got a check a couple of months later. Maryland is the absolute suck when it comes to states.

As for uninsured drivers, I'm betting that they aren't doing squat when they catch an illegal driving without insurance.
Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tikiman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 3:19pm   #49
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
GTMS ‘18

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 7:01pm   #50
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,509 Times in 14,293 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
Back around 2010, I sold a rental house I owned in Laurel, MD. At the settlement table, they kept my capital gains tax. I called my accountant, who lives and works in Maryland, and told him what happened. He laughed and said, "Yeah, they do that. Maryland is broke so they try to keep anything they can get their hands on. I'll take care of it." He filed some papers and I got a check a couple of months later. Maryland is the absolute suck when it comes to states.

As for uninsured drivers, I'm betting that they aren't doing squat when they catch an illegal driving without insurance.
Mental note: Don't buy rental properties in Maryland.

snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 8:22pm   #51
LATB
A Real Barner

Thanked 24,314 Times in 11,024 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Western Maryland and the rural parts the state including the eastern shore are nice. The rest is a chithole. And literally life threatening dangerous.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 9:06am   #52
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 71.9%

Thanked 3,852 Times in 1,734 Posts

Quote:

Not counting owning a firearm in MD is a joke, you can't even transport a firearm unless you can prove you just bought it or are on the way to a hunting/target event.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 9:32am   #53
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Not counting owning a firearm in MD is a joke, you can't even transport a firearm unless you can prove you just bought it or are on the way to a hunting/target event.
Florida stopped allowing the Maryland police from accessing any data other than DL info. They were checking to see if the Florida drier and a CCW and , if they did, they tore the car apart looking for guns. No matter how legally they transported them.
The Following User Says Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 9:42am   #54
Bruze
A Real Barner

Thanked 10,311 Times in 4,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
Florida stopped allowing the Maryland police from accessing any data other than DL info. They were checking to see if the Florida drier and a CCW and , if they did, they tore the car apart looking for guns. No matter how legally they transported them.
Ha, my buddy drives from here in NYS to Florida, and then back, every year with a horse trailer, and he told me he keeps a handgun handy. He has a NYS permit, and the multi-state one too I think.

I believe he said he's legal everywhere but Maryland, but the drive through is so short he's not worried about it.

Sounds like he'd be a prime target for the MD cops.
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 9:53am   #55
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 44.2%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,530 Times in 1,943 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
Ha, my buddy drives from here in NYS to Florida, and then back, every year with a horse trailer, and he told me he keeps a handgun handy. He has a NYS permit, and the multi-state one too I think.

I believe he said he's legal everywhere but Maryland, but the drive through is so short he's not worried about it.

Sounds like he'd be a prime target for the MD cops.
I have a Florida, Penn, Utah and of course NY carry permit.That allows cary in about 38 states! Even carring a copy of the laws about "Peaceable Journey" in my vechicle I do my damnedest to stay out of both NJ and Maryland. Even if that means more driving for me. Course the laws change regular watch your 6!

For years I was a instructor for the NYS pre issue pistol permit course, and have a good knowledge of the laws. Having a gun even locked, unloaded in the trunk some of those cops will give you all sorts of trouble!

"Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 aka “The Peaceable Journey Law”
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6spdC6 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 10:45am   #56
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 11,607 Times in 5,724 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Well, interesting comments above about Faryland being all effed up in gun 'control'......back long ago I had a gun hobby. and a decent collection, and I remember when moving from my folks house after the first divorce, to my 4th apt. in Md.....and of course taking the guns with me.....well wooden I know, after moving into the high rise on the ~9th floor, about a week later my apt was raided by one/some? of the maintenance crew and they stole THREE pistols I turned it all into the Monkey Co. Faryland cops and filed an insurance loss.....

got paid too boot.....BUT before the company issued the check, I recovered one of the pistols from one of the maintenance guys.....and he got fired....
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic