Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2024, 12:59am   #41
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 42,216 Times in 17,579 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rickles View Post
My second job as a teen was working for Sunshine Maintenance a janitorial company. I scrubbed toilets, mopped floors, vacuumed, even did windows!

The job wasn't bad at all really. Some jobs we'd get locked inside a building for the entire weekend and worked straight thru the nights stripping and buffing floors in huge stores (Two Guys, Korvettes). The overtime was incredible for a kids paycheck!
Did you meet a sexy shoplifter while you were supposed to be working?

Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 6:43am   #42
LisaJohn
Barn Stall Owner #1000
1000th member
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.6%

Thanked 4,887 Times in 2,689 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2425793

I’ve scrubbed toilets at work.
LisaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 7:38am   #43
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 24,471 Times in 11,104 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin68 View Post
Not around here. Our stone masons, framers, concrete guys, roofers, insulators, were mostly non-English speaking but I wouldn't call them unskilled. Their boss is always Anglo and speaks fluent Spanish. Maybe not skilled in the way you or DaveConcrete are, but they are better than the guy that sits on a rock saw or spreads mulch.
The trades you noted are skilled workers and here those positions often earn twice the non skilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin68 View Post
Exactly, the American dream. We are not producing enough young laborers, whether it be through education or decreased procreation. My house would never have been built without Mexicans, or I couldn't afford it. It is better in every way than any previous house I had, whether it was built by the owner in 1938 or by contractors in 1976 and 1994. The millwork in the 1938 house was truly outstanding though.
Exactly. Not enough young white laborers because the left has convinced them that hard work is beneath them. Even the black guys, who historically filed many of the non skilled construction jobs have left the industry.

I will build my home with only a couple hispanic crews. My framer, a country man, has a few hispanics on his crew. I know the insulation and sheetrock hangers are also. My contractor (old white man) will do the drywall finishing.

Most of the subs I'm working with are older tradesmen in their 50's & 60's. And most are country men. My plumber took forever to rough-in my slab because he's a cattleman and his farm duties called him away several times.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 7:39am   #44
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJohn View Post
I’ve scrubbed toilets at work.
If you've never cleaned toilets as a kid, you really never earned your allowance.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 8:41am   #45
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,658 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

I don’t necessarily have a problem with illegals. I think solutions to our current problems, would come by “draining the swamp” in D.C. and ending the “Welfare / Warfare” state, holding us all as human chattel.

If that were to happen, then a free market could emerge and fix the economic problems we’re experiencing with prices, supply and demand and such.

I don’t know how that gets done? The individual and State level seems most likely as the benefits of participating in the current scam, disappear with the dollar’s reserve “privilege”.
Dan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan47 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 8:46am   #46
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan47 View Post
I don’t necessarily have a problem with illegals. I think solutions to our current problems, would come by “draining the swamp” in D.C. and ending the “Welfare / Warfare” state, holding us all as human chattel.

If that were to happen, then a free market could emerge and fix the economic problems we’re experiencing with prices, supply and demand and such.

I don’t know how that gets done? The individual and State level seems most likely as the benefits of participating in the current scam, disappear with the dollar’s reserve “privilege”.
Exactly. Remove the incentive (welfare) and the flow of illegals would come to a screeching halt.

Most of the people pouring in are not those who want to work hard and become an American. They are here for the free ride.

Immigrants who are here to work hard and assimilate are more than willing to do it the right way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 8:48am   #47
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Thanked 4,615 Times in 2,178 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2001216

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
If you've never cleaned toilets as a kid, you really never earned your allowance.
My cleaning toilets comment, was not at home but out in the public. Stores, offices, business, banks, etc.

Earning a living, paying for their schooling, books and necessities!

I'm doubtful Mick's kids are ........calling BS.
Don Rickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 9:43am   #48
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,509 Times in 14,293 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
I so wish I could fill every Biden voter
with holes.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snide For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 11:02am   #49
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 42,216 Times in 17,579 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan47 View Post

I do. Mass immigration, both legal and illegal, especially illegal, has Balkanized our country. We're no longer a fairly homogeneous society. We're no longer a high trust society. We no longer have common roots, common ideals, common history, etc.

You can see this in how easy it's been to tear down statues, rename buildings and streets, etc. Our shared heritage? Not only do we no longer have one, but we don't even teach that heritage, at least, not as a positive, not something to be embraced.

And worst of all, unlike other times in US history when we accepted masses of people, there's not been a pause in that immigration to actually let those folks assimilate. That's what's missing. There's no push to assimilate these people, and they are not, they won't. They're creating parallel societies within our country. Look at Minnesomalia. They're NEVER going to assimilate. They're always going to be strangers in our midst. They'll have blue American passports, but they aren't Americans.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 11:06am   #50
Raazor
2020 Election Expert
Activity: 30.6%

Location: Big Sky Country... Where the men are men, the sheep are nervous, and the winters are LOOONG!!!
Thanked 19,803 Times in 7,380 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1134156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsuspicious View Post
Their homes should be empty after sending them all to fight in ukraine
VaxxHumping Liberals love Ukraine. They prove it by posting the Ukrainian flag in their profile pictures.... generally upside down.

Raazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 11:36am   #51
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,658 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
I do. Mass immigration, both legal and illegal, especially illegal, has Balkanized our country. We're no longer a fairly homogeneous society. We're no longer a high trust society. We no longer have common roots, common ideals, common history, etc.

You can see this in how easy it's been to tear down statues, rename buildings and streets, etc. Our shared heritage? Not only do we no longer have one, but we don't even teach that heritage, at least, not as a positive, not something to be embraced.

And worst of all, unlike other times in US history when we accepted masses of people, there's not been a pause in that immigration to actually let those folks assimilate. That's what's missing. There's no push to assimilate these people, and they are not, they won't. They're creating parallel societies within our country. Look at Minnesomalia. They're NEVER going to assimilate. They're always going to be strangers in our midst. They'll have blue American passports, but they aren't Americans.
This is caused by government and central bank, fiat currency, not the illegals themselves. I have a problem with those institutions. And this has been the situation for much longer than the recent news cycle. South Omaha has been a little Mexico for as long as I can remember.

I prefer a Nation of Laws but we're not going to achieve that by focusing on the narrative the media is building. I think we need to focus on the root cause, government and the oligarchy that controls it.

Edit: I'm not saying I sympathize with the invaders, I don't. I just want to solve the problem, not allow for another fake, government solution.
Dan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 11:56am   #52
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Thanked 34,198 Times in 13,864 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rickles View Post
I'm all for foreigners coming here. SO LONG AS THEY USE THE FRONT DOOR!

Lock the gates and give fewer accessible points of entry, ie: Build the Wall!

Remember, the Melting Pot, that is what makes us the best country on the planet.
And when do you suppose the pot is full?

I'd say it is spilling over the edge and enough is enough.

Have a vetting process and let's get some "non toilet scrubber" caliber of people in here for a change.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic