Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2011, 1:05pm   #21
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66
Activity: 0.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 View Post
He is attempting to force price down. Claire Mccaskill is also heading an investigation into the refineries end as well. They are accusing them of purposely holding oil out of the market to keep fuel prices high.

They get a couple things out of this strategy.

1. Make their followers, and those who don't know, believe they are doing something.

2. demonize and put the blame off on the energy sector.

It will reduce the cost temporarily but it also gets the attention off his drilling moratorium he has in place. that's the way I see it.
I must agree that the move on BHO's part is mostly 'smoke and mirrors' - if not why did he wait until now when oil prices have been falling for a few weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
If they continue to go back down... great. I would love to actually see something improve under this administration, especially if it affects me as much as gas prices do. Until then we are still somewhere around 200% higher than when he took office.

- $1.85 on Jan 19, 2009
- $3.65 on Jun 22, 2011

Source: Consumer Reports
My concern is this is no long term, or even short term solution.

It depletes a 'reserve' the US taxpayer has paid for once - then is sold the products.

When oil prices increase again (as they surely will) the US taxpayer will once again pay to replenish the reserve that is being used today.

The 'gang that cannot add 1 + 1 to equal 2' is once again pulling he wool over the sheeples eyes - IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhammons01 View Post
Gas was $4.15 a few weeks ago where I live
Cas in now $3.99.....I do what the Dems taught me back in '07....blame the POTUS.....

Surely if Bush and Cheny were to blame back then, the Obumble is to blame now, lest one be hypocritical.....openly.....

And gas dropping to $3.99 is in no way a reprieve from high gas prices as some would have you think.

Back on topic, Obumble has ruined almost all of our other resources, why not drain the oil reserve while he is at it, he needs to weaken the US even further. With no active oil wells and no reserves, our military might is....well.....not very mighty is it??
I pointed out above this is a 'double dip' into the taxpayers pockets - I have to wonder why this is not a 'hot topic' - is sure as hell pushed my button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
It's closer to 18 Million Barrels a day.

Oil: Crude and Petroleum Products - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy

And I, like you, are confused. Why release the reserves now?
You are correct - I meant to post 12 million (average 2009) and missed the "1". Thanks.

So, releasing 30 million over a 30 day period does what? As I read it (using 18 million barrels per day) this equals less than two days 'relief'.

And as I noted above - this means the oil released by BHO, paid for twice by the US taxpayer, will need to be replaced, again with US taxpayer money, with, most likely, higher cost oil.
AC54ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 1:05pm   #22
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 4.0%

Thanked 12,544 Times in 5,858 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

China as the World's Number One Energy Consumer... and World Leader in Clean Energy | Barbara Finamore's Blog | Switchboard, from NRDC

Quote:
China as the World's Number One Energy Consumer... and World Leader in Clean Energy
Print this page
Posted August 4, 2010 in Greening China

Tags:china, chinaenergy, climate, energyandclimate
Share | | The International Energy Agency recently reported that, based on its preliminary data, China surpassed the United States as the world’s biggest energy consumer in 2009 (see IEA announcement here and WSJ article here.) According to the IEA, China consumed the equivalent of 2.252 billion tons of oil in 2009, 4 percent more than the United States’ consumption of 2.170 billion tons of oil equivalent. (As the WSJ article notes, “the oil-equivalent metric represents all forms of energy consumed, including crude oil, nuclear power, coal, natural gas and renewable sources such as hydropower.”)

According to the WSJ article, this milestone (much like China’s passing the US as the world’s largest greenhouse gas emitter in 2006) came earlier than experts had expected, mainly because China’s economy has been less affected by the economic downturn than the US. Chinese officials have also questioned the reliability of the IEA’s calculations, stating that that China had actually consumed the equivalent of 2.132 billion tons of oil equivalent in 2009, and that the IEA had overlooked China’s substantial efforts in energy efficiency and renewable and low-carbon energy (noting that China has the world’s largest hydropower capacity, solar thermal water heating capacity, and nuclear power capacity under construction).

Regardless of whose numbers are correct, the trends regarding China’s energy demand growth have been clear for some time. While US energy consumption has remained basically flat over the last decade, China’s energy consumption has seen double digit annual growth rates, rising from half that of the US in 2000 to being on par with the US at present (as seen in this chart.) Whether China passed the US as the world’s largest energy consumer last year or does so this year, the moment is significant and marks a dubious passing of a torch: the US has been the world’s largest energy consumer since the early 1900s. That said, we should remember that China has 4 times the population of the US, that its per capita emissions (6.1 tons in 2009), while growing, are still far below those of the US (17.2 tons in 2009), and that much of its emissions (something like 20-30 percent) can be attributed to manufacturing products for export to the West.

While we can be sure that China’s primary energy consumption will continue to rise well above US levels in the future (see the IEA’s most recent reference forecast below), the more important question we should be asking of both countries is what steps they are taking to ensure that the energy they are consuming and producing is clean and sustainable, and not the dirty fossil fuels that are polluting the water, land and atmosphere around us.

Source: IEA World Energy Outlook 2009, Reference Scenario

As the world’s two largest energy consumers, China and the US bear a crucial responsibility towards the rest of the world and towards future generations. The extent to which China and the US move towards clean energy will have important consequences for the global environment and for our health and future.

This milestone shouldn’t distract us from the bigger picture of what China is doing to address the environmental impacts of its energy consumption by rapidly expanding its renewable and alternative energy resources, and the sustained effort it is making to become a world leader in clean energy, not just energy consumption. Even as its consumption of energy continues to rise, China is moving proactively to reduce the share of dirty fossil fuels (especially coal) in its energy mix and to grow its renewable industries, while in the US the Senate has so far been unable forge the consensus needed to move the country forward to a clean energy future.

In just the last few weeks, for example, we have seen the following developments coming out of China:

A 5 trillion RMB ($738 billion dollars) alternative energy plan to develop renewables and low-carbon energy sources: China’s National Energy Administration (NEA) has developed a new energy plan for 2011-20 that will invest 5 trillion RMB in a range of renewable and low carbon energy sources (wind, solar, biomass, nuclear, geothermal, and unconventional natural gas) as well as “clean coal”, smart grid, distributed energy and alternative-fuel vehicle technologies. The plan includes ambitious targets such as doubling the share of natural gas in China’s energy mix (from 4 to 8 percent) and increasing the share of non-fossil energy to 15 percent by 2020. The NEA estimates that the alternative energy plan will reduce CO2 emissions by 1.2 billion tons and SO2 emissions by 7.8 million tons per year, contribute 1.5 trillion yuan in added value, and create 15 million new jobs in China.
Those who have been watching the international clean energy race know that China is already on its way to becoming a world leader in clean energy, having invested nearly twice the US in clean energy in 2009 ($34.6 billion compared to $18.6 billion) and more than the US and Europe combined in the second quarter of 2010 ($11.5 billion compared to $4.9 and $4.5 billion respectively.

Planning for carbon trading in the next Five Year Plan: As my colleague Jake Schmidt blogged about last week, China is planning to include carbon trading in its 12th Five Year Plan, which starts next year. Although the details have yet to be worked out, this will likely occur in the power sector or within certain industries, and is being pushed by the government as a more cost-effective measure to reduce carbon emissions than the current administrative regulations-only approach. According to a recent interview with NEA Deputy Director Wu Yin (English article here, original Chinese interview here), China may even cap its production of coal by 2015 in order to reduce its reliance on coal from the current 70% to 65%, and may limit energy consumption for certain industries or regions.
China announced a new national feed-in tariff (FIT) for biomass-fired electricity on July 23 (official notice in Chinese here ), set at .75 RMB ($0.11) per kilowatt hour. China had already set a national wind feed-in tariff last year, and the new biomass FIT should enable biomass to become profitable in more rural areas where biomass is plentiful but coal is cheap. Before the establishment of the nationwide biomass FIT, under a policy set in 2007, biomass power producers received a 0.25 yuan per kilowatt hour subsidy over the local benchmark price for coal-fired power, which was too low for some biomass power generators to be profitable, even in some of the areas with the best biomass resources in the country. Biomass incentives always require safeguard provisions to ensure that the biomass is produced in a sustainable way (as my colleagues have argued here and here), but overall, China’s new biomass FIT shows the government's commitment to developing biomass as a clean source of energy. The government announcement also notes that a 30 MW biomass power plant can displace 80,000 tons of coal, avoid 180,000 tons of CO2 and 1,000 tons of SO2, increase rural employment by 500,000 work days, and increase rural incomes by 50-60 million RMB.
The news coming out of China stands in sharp contrast to the developments (or lack thereof) in the US, which still has no coordinated national plan to develop its clean energy resources by putting a price on carbon and creating unified incentives for renewables. Even as China has (or will soon) become the world’s largest energy consumer, it is also taking important steps in the right direction by making its energy use more sustainable and efficient, supporting the development of its renewables industry and incentivizing clean energy.

This post was coauthored by David Cohen-Tanugi and Alvin Lin.
permalinkcomments (2)
Share | | Comments
Rob Earley — Aug 5 2010 03:10 AM
iCET is just finishing up a project comparing the relative benefits of using biomass for electricity or cellulosic ethanol.

From an efficiency standpoint, we can see that biomass electricity is the best use for biomass.

However, in a world (presently) without electric vehicles, there is a huge need for liquid fuels for vehicles now and for at least the next 40 years.

Economically speaking, and from an energy security perspective, cellulosic ethanol (or other liquid biofuel) is an important technology to develop and support.

Yet with a high subsidy for bioelectricity on the books, industry will most definitely be discouraged from developing alternative liquid fuels, which will undoubtedly lead to troubles in the future.

Thoughtful planning for biomass is, without a doubt, necessary to ensure the sustainable management of the agricultural system, as well as ensure a low-carbon, energy secure future for China. Blind use of subsidies for single technologies will probably not help to achieve these objectives.

Rob Earley
Demand is up. Production is flat. New production in the USA, sitting on very large total reserves, is being slowly pushed off the table.

Guess what? Demand drives up prices. And since BHO and his progressives do not want to increase USA oil production, which if done could illuminate all oil imports within 10-15 years, due to his stated desire to drive up energy prices to push his "Green" agenda.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 1:07pm   #23
ChasC5
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

Quote:
China as the World's Number One Energy Consumer... and World Leader in Clean Energy | Barbara Finamore's Blog | Switchboard, from NRDC

Demand is up. Production is flat. New production in the USA, sitting on very large total reserves, is being slowly pushed off the table.

Guess what? Demand drives up prices. And since BHO and his progressives do not want to increase USA oil production, which if done could illuminate all oil imports within 10-15 years, due to his stated desire to drive up energy prices to push his "Green" agenda.
See ... told yea it's BO Fault.
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 1:10pm   #24
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 24,239 Times in 10,997 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
I really don’t know … maybe to STFU a few Bitching Crybabies Politicians.

But if it brings Gas Prices Down … WhoTF Cares … what are we saving it for?
If we needed Oil so bad, why didn’t we get some when we declared Victory?
because the puzzies in your party and the voice from the left (your side of the debate) was screaming "war for oil" before the 1st shots were fired.

add in a healthy dose of political correctness...and Petraeus couldn't change the oil in his Hummer with Iraqi oil without selective outrage.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 1:11pm   #25
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:

we should all care. it may be needed by our military and others if shit hits the fan.
Old 06-23-2011, 1:12pm   #26
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
because the puzzies in your party and the voice from the left (your side of the debate) was screaming "war for oil" before the 1st shots were fired.

add in a healthy dose of political correctness...and Petraeus couldn't change the oil in his Hummer with Iraqi oil without selective outrage.
BS … all they had to do was Just Say No … and do whatever they wanted to do.

They did for everything else

Remember the Great Decider
Old 06-23-2011, 1:12pm   #27
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
See ... told yea it's BO Fault.
partly...yes

read below
Quote:
but it has everything to do with what the president says and does.

and that, drives the speculation.

to not know & understand this...would be ignorant, and remove any credibility of that individual from the discussion.
Old 06-23-2011, 1:13pm   #28
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
BS … all they had to do was Just Say No … and do whatever they wanted to do.

They did for everything else
Quote:
to not know & understand this...would be ignorant, and remove any credibility of that individual from the discussion.
Old 06-23-2011, 1:15pm   #29
jhammons01
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1215

Quote:

So you openly admit that this step is yet another in a series of buffoonery made by Obumble that will do nothing but buy a few votes from lower I.Q. populace??

Just checkin'

Quote:

Last edited by jhammons01; 06-23-2011 at 1:36pm.
jhammons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 1:16pm   #30
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Quote:

I agree - the US is not exploiting its own energy (oil) as it should.

Although this is not new, BHO has pushed the lack of development to new levels.

Now, before the Progressives show charts, and speeches by the POS BHO, where the USA's internal uptick in production occurred in 2009-2010 let me stop them in their tracks:

It was not a cause occurring because of BHO - It WAS the result of Bush! His administration ALLOWED additional drilling, etc. and the result took years to come to the market - in fact that occurred in 2009 - 2010.

As to 'clean' environment - I defy the idiot author of the article to join me in Beijing - it has one of the worlds worst air quality track records - or join me on a trip throughout China to large cities elsewhere were the air quality is just as bad, or worse (Yellow River dam cities).

I have spent a lot of time in China - it is polluted to a degree that would make Los Angeles in the 1950's look like a pristine, high altitude, no smog locale.
Old 06-23-2011, 1:38pm   #31
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
So you openly admit that this step is yet another in a series of buffoonery made by Obumble that will do nothing but buy a few votes from lower I.Q. populace??

Just checkin'
Yep ... just as long as I get 4 more years of laughing my ass off at you guys crying. if i can last another 18 months of the botching.
Old 06-23-2011, 1:41pm   #32
jhammons01
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
laughing at you guys crying.
Lemme make sure I understand you thoroughly.

We are in the worst depression ever, even worse than the 30 "Great Depression" and you somehow or able to laugh at your fellow Americans?

Did I get that straight?? Cause that is what I just heard you say....
Old 06-23-2011, 1:45pm   #33
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Lemme make sure I understand you thoroughly.

We are in the worst depression ever, even worse than the 30 "Great Depression" and you somehow or able to laugh at your fellow Americans?

Did I get that straight?? Cause that is what I just heard you say....
Now that's Historical ... even from you.

Are you now going to make a prediction on the End of The World.

Come-on guys … you’re beginning to embarrass yourself.

Relax, you’ll be fine … you’ll see.

Remember, I endured two Bush Terms … and I’m still laughing.
Old 06-23-2011, 1:53pm   #34
RetiredSFC 97
Barn Stall Owner #63
Activity: 2.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32270

Quote:
So when Gas Prices go beyond $4 ... it's BO Fault

When Gas Prices go back Down ... it's who?
Do you really not know how this works?
RetiredSFC 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 1:55pm   #35
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 View Post
Do you really not know how this works?
Yea I know, I'm just want to hear the It's Obama's Fault chants
Old 06-23-2011, 2:00pm   #36
RetiredSFC 97
Barn Stall Owner #63
Activity: 2.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32270

Quote:
It's not all his fault. What is his fault is he is not doing the things he could to bring prices down. He did stop drilling and won't allow drilling. he also reversed Bush's order on opening up anwar. Anwar is not about the environment, it's about not allowing oil exploration and drilling.

I know you've heard and seen the video where he stated he wanted high energy prices so I won't bring that up again. His words, not mine!!!
RetiredSFC 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 2:00pm   #37
jhammons01
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Now that's Historical ... even from you.
simple Google search pwn3d you

Unemployment remains stubbornly high in advanced economies: John ...

India Infoline.com - 15 hours ago
To sum up: Although the global economy has weathered the worst crisis since the Great Depression, it still faces serious headwinds in both advanced and ...
IMF - “The Challenges of Economic Policy Cooperation” by John ...‎ - ISRIA (registration)
all 34 news articles »
Portfolio.com
After years of 'pulling teeth,' Bargaintown fire company getting a ...

Press of Atlantic City - 1 day ago
After years of fundraising during the worst economic times since the Great Depression, the company expects its new 6920-square-foot firehouse to be ...
Housing Market: Worst Since "The Great Depression"?

Elliott Wave - Robert Jay - Jun 6, 2011
Since the bubble burst in 2006, prices have fallen more than they did during the Great Depression." Associated Press, (5/31) Dow Jones Marketwatch (6/1) ...
The US jobs report

World Socialist Web Site - Barry Grey - Jun 5, 2011
... class faces a deepening of the worst jobs crisis since the Great Depression. ... entitled “Dealing with the evils of stagflation,” the Financial Times ...
We need prosperity, not austerity, now!‎ - The Hill
Depression, recession and presidents‎ - Ashland Daily Tidings
all 43 news articles »
Marsha McLean: Santa Clarita budget balanced and on-time

Signal - 5 days ago
... to cope with the worst economic recession since the Great Depression. ... “The decisions we make during the good times are more important than the ...

I am sure you'll resume your head in sand stature
Old 06-23-2011, 2:24pm   #38
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $13154

Drill baby drill in Ameirca and leave the reserve's alone and stop funding drilling in other countries, like Brazil so we can import more oil for more dependence on other countries. Obama is great at producing oil jobs, just not in America by his actions in Brazil
Peter Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 3:08pm   #39
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
Drill baby drill in Ameirca and leave the reserve's alone and stop funding drilling in other countries, like Brazil so we can import more oil for more dependence on other countries. Obama is great at producing oil jobs, just not in America by his actions in Brazil
Do not forget the ~$2 billion provided to Mexico - so they can drill in the Gulf of Mexico!

BHO is an arrogant idiot.

Unfortunately he is the POTUS, with previous (110 & 111th) Congresses that bent to the Progressives (communists) mantra allowing him to do these idiotic things.
Old 06-23-2011, 7:09pm   #40
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Quote:
but it has everything to do with what the president says and does.

and that, drives the speculation.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion