Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2024, 8:34am   #21
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 4,641 Times in 2,185 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2001216

Our building inspectors have started using satellite images....Any unpermitted additions, fencing, pools, etc can be seen, right from his desk.
Don Rickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 8:58am   #22
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 42.9%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,553 Times in 1,960 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rickles View Post
Our building inspectors have started using satellite images....Any unpermitted additions, fencing, pools, etc can be seen, right from his desk.
As I live on a lake with a lot of forests around its hard to see a lot from the ground unless you actually leave the main road and visit all the secluded places. Every now and then they take up a plane and look around, taking pictures if necessary. I have seen some of the result in the past, they go up in late fall when the leaves are off the trees. A camp that is double the size it should be, a large garage when there is no garage on the property plot. Shit like that.

When I retired and moved up to the lake (2004) they had a opening for a building inspector. At that time things were a bit slow so it was part time with the office only open a couple days a week. Now its full time and hectic.

I applied not for the money, for something to do. My years in the building trades were sufficient to make me acceptable. Long story short I did not get the appointed job. Believe it or not 5 people applied!

Was interviewed by the town supervisor and the retiring building inspectors and the one big thing I came away with was to be as easy rule wise as you legally could be. Try to work with the people not make their life as hard as it could be. You got to love small town America.

The town I came from was well known to be a PITA regarding anything that was under the jurisdiction of the building department.
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 6spdC6 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 9:05am   #23
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
As I live on a lake with a lot of forests around its hard to see a lot from the ground unless you actually leave the main road and visit all the secluded places. Every now and then they take up a plane and look around, taking pictures if necessary. I have seen some of the result in the past, they go up in late fall when the leaves are off the trees. A camp that is double the size it should be, a large garage when there is no garage on the property plot. Shit like that.

When I retired and moved up to the lake (2004) they had a opening for a building inspector. At that time things were a bit slow so it was part time with the office only open a couple days a week. Now its full time and hectic.

I applied not for the money, for something to do. My years in the building trades were sufficient to make me acceptable. Long story short I did not get the appointed job. Believe it or not 5 people applied!

Was interviewed by the town supervisor and the retiring building inspectors and the one big thing I came away with was to be as easy rule wise as you legally could be. Try to work with the people not make their life as hard as it could be. You got to love small town America.

The town I came from was well known to be a PITA regarding anything that was under the jurisdiction of the building department.
Our inspector at the time, (my son for a school project, wanted to build me a koi pond) So we stop into the Township building, to teach the kid the ropes, inspector brought up the image and turns to me and says, "oh, you'll need a full blown pool permit now that it's so large and over two feet deep....." Lesson learned, we then shifted the project and built our concrete swimming pool!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Rickles For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 9:12am   #24
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 84.8%

Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,100 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Permits I never needed any stinking permits. (Except for septic)
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big bob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 9:18am   #25
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 38.4%

Thanked 11,202 Times in 5,240 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Sometimes after a hurricane the building department will wave permits for some repairs.
After Super Storm Sandy the town did indeed wave permits as long as you didn't have 50% or more damage in $$ of the worth of the home. Also if you were just replacing what you had before they said just do it....90% or more of the homes in our town were damaged and or destroyed
I might have done a little more than I was supposed to have done

And Don Rickels is right...we had a private entrance to the beach and when I went to town hall the town engineer looked at aerials to see if we did have one,when he saw it was there for years ours was added to the ACOE and town maps and they put a new one in for us.
04 commemorative is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 04 commemorative For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 9:22am   #26
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 42.9%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,553 Times in 1,960 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bob View Post
Permits I never needed any stinking permits. (Except for septic)
Nobody needs a permit if they do not catch you!

Where I used to live we went from sceptic to sewers. They posted some rule that said you had to be a licensed plumber to do the work. I did all the inside work and let the licensed contractor that had the backhoe and equipment make the street tie in. (was much cheaper that way!)

The building department tried to make trouble because of the work I did. I made a lot of noise and the head of the department came to the house. Showed him my union card and told him I have been doing work like this before the inspector that came to the house was a twinkle in his father eye. The "head' signed off and that was the end of the story.
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6spdC6 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 9:25am   #27
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.1%

Thanked 10,369 Times in 4,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post

Around here one inspector often works for more than one town.

When I had my addition put on in 1989, the 'spector came and said I needed handrails on two stairs and ceiling in the bedrooms for a CofO. No rush, no time frame.

So I did all that and called him back, he came over and didn't even want to come inside. He asked me if I'd done them, I said "Yes," and he gave me the CofO.

I've done a zillion things here in 42 years that (probably?) should have had a permit but I didn't bother, just went ahead and did them. Nobody really cares around here as long as you're reasonable and do things right.
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 9:27am   #28
Big bob
A Real Barner

Not when and where I built and totally legal. It is just a money grab and let's you build crap to their minimum standards.
Old 02-17-2024, 9:33am   #29
zeek
A Real Barner

Thanked 7,834 Times in 2,669 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $555

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADRACR1 View Post
I got a notice a few years back for having "inoperable vehicles" in my drive. I called codes, and they said on a drive by that they noticed two vehicles under car covers, two in front of them, and one in the front yard. I informed them that yes, I had five cars on the property, and that if we were home there was a total of seven. I also informed them that if they had walked up into the drive they would have seen that every one had a current tag and I would be happy to drive each one to the office to show none were inoperable. She said no, that wasn't necessary, they just noticed them sitting there. I explained I couldn't drive them all at the same time but if they paid attention, I did rotate them out every couple of months.
I dont know your particular situation, but I have two neighbors like this. Mine is a pretty nice street with homes on the back bay. My neighbor across the street from me has had two vehicles parked in his drive way that have not moved in the two plus years that I have lived here. He keeps a plate on both, but because he has three other cars he parks his wifes SUV on the front lawn. Looks like shit and has killed his grass. My next door neighbor has 3 vehicles. One big SUV that has mold growing on it but he keeps a plate on it and also parks it in the yard. Even if the cars were nice and driven daily, sorry, but to me that is white trash and brings down the neighborhood.
zeek is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zeek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 9:48am   #30
Big bob
A Real Barner

They are probably waiting for a good neighbor to help them fix them up.
Old 02-17-2024, 9:54am   #31
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:
Isn't one around for miles......
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Rickles For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 10:03am   #32
Big bob
A Real Barner

Quote:

The fewer the better. But that was for Zeek.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:05am   #33
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
I have the best neighbors possible. Been here 42 years, no real conflicts with any of them. Houses are 1,000 or so feet apart, give or take, 5 acres minimum.
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 10:09am   #34
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:
The fewer the better. But that was for Zeek.
I had a lot more fun here, before he got his nuts all knotted up....He'll crack. I'm irresistible!

Old 02-17-2024, 10:09am   #35
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
I have the best neighbors possible. Been here 42 years, no real conflicts with any of them. House are 1,000 or so feet apart, give or take.
So, you can't hear them, when they talk shit about you! Nice!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Rickles For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 10:12am   #36
Vandelay Industries
Barn Stall Owner #14/32
Activity: 87.1%

Thanked 13,559 Times in 5,186 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4810

Quote:
ICNLT either.
Vandelay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vandelay Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 10:16am   #37
Big bob
A Real Barner

Quote:
I had a lot more fun here, before he got his nuts all knotted up....He'll crack. I'm irresistible!

What did you do to twist up his nuts? I am waiting to see if the slings are squishing his boat. Had a buddie that went that way at first untill he noticed his walk through was getting tighter.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:30am   #38
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:
What did you do to twist up his nuts? I am waiting to see if the slings are squishing his boat. Had a buddie that went that way at first until he noticed his walk through was getting tighter.
I insulted him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Rickles For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 10:37am   #39
zeek
A Real Barner

Thanked 7,834 Times in 2,669 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $555

Quote:
Hey...maybe if I do, they will give them to me! Naw....I dont want some one else's POS....

EDIT: I offered to buy my hoarder neighbors SUV, but got the old..."Im gonna fix it up one day."
zeek is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zeek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 10:38am   #40
Bruze
A Real Barner

Quote:
I insulted him.
Don Rickles insulted someone???