Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2024, 7:17pm   #381
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 48.7%

Thanked 7,927 Times in 3,541 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
There is no spin. It doesn't matter how my stopped time breaks down as I have always stopped about 2 hours total in a full day of driving in many many years of doing the same exact trip.
Yesterday I got in my Escalade, drove to Indianapolis, put a go kart in the back, and drove home. I did it with 0 stops for gas (not even close to needing one). I stopped for 2 minutes at Culver's on the way back. Yes, 2 minutes. I ordered online, walked in, picked it up, and took off again.

348 miles round trip @ 80mph on the highway, with a go-kart in the back (that would never come close to fitting in your car.)

Are you really trying to argue that this was unsafe because I didn't stop in a parking lot and browse facebook for 45 minutes?
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 7:25pm   #382
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Yesterday I got in my Escalade, drove to Indianapolis, put a go kart in the back, and drove home. I did it with 0 stops for gas (not even close to needing one). I stopped for 2 minutes at Culver's on the way back. Yes, 2 minutes. I ordered online, walked in, picked it up, and took off again.

348 miles round trip @ 80mph on the highway, with a go-kart in the back (that would never come close to fitting in your car.)

Are you really trying to argue that this was unsafe because I didn't stop in a parking lot and browse facebook for 45 minutes?
To do a 348 mile round trip, I'd need only 15 minutes charging. Drive 240 miles on my first charge and charge 15 minutes to like 70% which is enough for the rest.
15 minute stop.. oh, the horror
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 8:22pm   #383
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 38.4%

Thanked 2,154 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
The system is supposed to be supervised around town. There are a million different things and scenarios that can happen around town. On the highway, there are only a limited amount of things.
Honest question...do you truly believe this? There as many things than can and have happened on highways as there are vehicles on highways. Your failure to be honest with yourself is truly astonishing.

It's relatively old data, but:

https://journalistsresource.org/econ...ss-modes-time/

Whatever the vehicle, highways are by far the most common place of transportation fatalities in the United States: 94%.
jw38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 9:01pm   #384
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw38 View Post
Honest question...do you truly believe this? There as many things than can and have happened on highways as there are vehicles on highways. Your failure to be honest with yourself is truly astonishing.

It's relatively old data, but:

https://journalistsresource.org/econ...ss-modes-time/

Whatever the vehicle, highways are by far the most common place of transportation fatalities in the United States: 94%.
We are talking about scenarios that computer programs have to handle. Most accidents are caused by distracted or impaired drivers, aggressive driving, not keeping distance to the car in front etc. Computers always pay attention. They always keep a safe distance. The car has like 10 cameras. It can see the movement of all vehicles.
Of course, accidents on the highway obviously have a higher fatality rate due to higher speed. Computers can handle highway driving fairly easy.
Old 05-26-2024, 11:29pm   #385
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
To do a 348 mile round trip, I'd need only 15 minutes charging. Drive 240 miles on my first charge and charge 15 minutes to like 70% which is enough for the rest.
15 minute stop.. oh, the horror
You are at least somewhat familiar with the English language, correct? Do you read posts before replying or do you just say whatever random shit you think of first? Who said anything about charging? Ignoring of course that you couldn't have fit the kart in your car, I would certainly hope that you wouldn't have to make multiple hot meal stops to go 348 miles. Congratulations on almost being able to make a trip that any ICE vehicle on the road can make with ease. Well done.

I said absolutely nothing about having to stop to charge. I was referencing your continuous stupid shit claims about needing to stop to take extended rests in the name of safety.
Old 05-26-2024, 11:31pm   #386
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Honest question...do you truly believe this?
He believes whatever the Messiah Elon tells him to believe. It's what zealots do.
Old 05-27-2024, 8:15am   #387
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
You are at least somewhat familiar with the English language, correct? Do you read posts before replying or do you just say whatever random shit you think of first? Who said anything about charging? Ignoring of course that you couldn't have fit the kart in your car, I would certainly hope that you wouldn't have to make multiple hot meal stops to go 348 miles. Congratulations on almost being able to make a trip that any ICE vehicle on the road can make with ease. Well done.

I said absolutely nothing about having to stop to charge. I was referencing your continuous stupid shit claims about needing to stop to take extended rests in the name of safety.
You picked up Culvers and ate in the car while driving.. Super safe to be eating and driving. No accidents have ever happened because someone didn't want to waste the time to eat while being stopped.

BTW, eating while driving is as dangerous as texting while driving.

https://www.baileyjohnson.com/blog/e...%20the%20wheel.

You conveniently completely ignore your own risky behavior. Of course, you never had an accident while eating.. So have million of drunk drivers as well. If you are in a glass house , don't throw stones.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:43am   #388
jw38
A Real Barner

Quote:
We are talking about scenarios that computer programs have to handle. Most accidents are caused by distracted or impaired drivers, aggressive driving, not keeping distance to the car in front etc. Computers always pay attention. They always keep a safe distance. The car has like 10 cameras. It can see the movement of all vehicles.
Of course, accidents on the highway obviously have a higher fatality rate due to higher speed. Computers can handle highway driving fairly easy.
Until they don't.

On autopilot - on a highway. There are more if you want them.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-lane-closure/

And another:

Quote:
You picked up Culvers and ate in the car while driving.. Super safe to be eating and driving. No accidents have ever happened because someone didn't want to waste the time to eat while being stopped.

BTW, eating while driving is as dangerous as texting while driving.

https://www.baileyjohnson.com/blog/e...%20the%20wheel.

You conveniently completely ignore your own risky behavior. Of course, you never had an accident while eating.. So have million of drunk drivers as well. If you are in a glass house , don't throw stones.
How about reading and posting on the Vette Barn while driving?
Old 05-27-2024, 10:47am   #389
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Until they don't.

And another:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X3hrKnv0dPQ
even your video says "allegedly"
Any link to the investigation if it REALLY was on autopilot?
Old 05-27-2024, 10:49am   #390
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 85.5%

Thanked 8,295 Times in 4,119 Posts

Quote:
Maybe it detected a Buc-ee's down the road and got in a hurry for a hot meal?
GTOguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:50am   #391
jw38
A Real Barner

Quote:
I knew this would be your reply. Like a moth to a light.

How about this one?

https://abc7news.com/tesla-autopilot...atal/13144903/

I can post more if you'd like.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:51am   #392
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Until they don't.

And another:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X3hrKnv0dPQ

How about reading and posting on the Vette Barn while driving?
A sophisticated system with 10 cameras was driving the car. The chance of anything happening is a lot smaller than being distracted while driving. The computer ALWAYS pays attention unlike drivers. As I said before, on the HIGHWAY, I fully trust that technology as I understand how it works.
I wasn't distracted from driving. I was not supervising the system for a few seconds.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:57am   #393
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
I knew this would be your reply. Like a moth to a light.

How about this one?

https://abc7news.com/tesla-autopilot...atal/13144903/

I can post more if you'd like.
Refer to my previous posts. Autopilot is SAFE in the middle lane. Firetruck was NOT in the middle lane. I never use autopilot on the right lane and usually won't use it on the left lane either unless there are only 2 lanes.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:57am   #394
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421

Quote:
A sophisticated system with 10 cameras was driving the car. The chance of anything happening is a lot smaller than being distracted while driving. The computer ALWAYS pays attention unlike drivers. As I said before, on the HIGHWAY, I fully trust that technology as I understand how it works.
I wasn't distracted from driving. I was not supervising the system for a few seconds.
And that's exactly why I don't trust it. Retired from the auto industry in '21 after being in it 42 years. Technology is only as good as its handlers and operators. You wouldn't believe the shit I've seen with ADAS. Talk about 'garbage in, garbage out'!
Old 05-27-2024, 11:00am   #395
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
And that's exactly why I don't trust it. Retired from the auto industry in '21 after being in it 42 years. Technology is only as good as its handlers and operators. You wouldn't believe the shit I've seen with ADAS. Talk about 'garbage in, garbage out'!
Most crashes with such systems happen in very rare and uncommon scenarios. The amount of people who died using such systems is very very rare compared to accidents due to distracted driving like texting or eating.
BTW, the emergency vehicle issue has been fixed with a software update. The car will slow down to a safe speed if it detects flashing lights from emergency vehicles.

I was texting and even posting on forums while driving in vehicles that didn't have autopilot or FSD. Doing it WITH FSD or Autopilot is a 1000 times safer than doing it without those systems.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:06am   #396
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
While there is always a chance of an accident.. Using Autopilot does NOT increase the risk of an accident by 80% unlike EATING WHILE DRIVING.
According to NHTSA, the chance of having and accident while eating are 80% higher than when not eating.. 80%!!!

Quote:
The NHTSA reports that 65% of near-miss accidents are due to drivers eating or drinking behind the wheel. They also noted that eating while driving increases your chances of being involved in a car accident by 80%
Now, a member admits engaging in a activity that increased his risk of an accident by 80% and yet, nobody attacks him. I do something that may increase the risk of an accident by a little bit as a computer with many cameras was controlling the car and I get attacked instead of the person engaging in much more dangerous activity just to save a few minutes on his trip time. I rather have my food in 15 minutes on such trip while charging rather than eating while driving.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:12am   #397
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421

Quote:
Most crashes with such systems happen in very rare and uncommon scenarios. The amount of people who died using such systems is very very rare compared to accidents due to distracted driving like texting or eating.
BTW, the emergency vehicle issue has been fixed with a software update. The car will slow down to a safe speed if it detects flashing lights from emergency vehicles.

I was texting and even posting on forums while driving in vehicles that didn't have autopilot or FSD. Doing it WITH FSD or Autopilot is a 1000 times safer than doing it without those systems.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:35am   #398
jw38
A Real Barner

Quote:
Refer to my previous posts. Autopilot is SAFE in the middle lane. Firetruck was NOT in the middle lane. I never use autopilot on the right lane and usually won't use it on the left lane either unless there are only 2 lanes.
Since you referred to an NHTSA report...the NHTSA doesn't agree with you.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/26/2...rt-crash-death

NHTSA found that Tesla’s driver-assist features are insufficient at keeping drivers engaged in the task of driving, which can often have fatal results.

“Crashes with no or late evasive action attempted by the driver were found across all Tesla hardware versions and crash circumstances,” NHTSA said.

Even the brand name “Autopilot” is misleading, NHTSA said, conjuring up the idea that drivers are not in control. While other companies use some version of “assist,” “sense,” or “team,” Tesla’s products lure drivers into thinking they are more capable than they are. (like GSC3) California’s attorney general and the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles are both investigating Tesla for misleading branding and marketing.

From your post:

The NHTSA reports that 65% of near-miss accidents are due to drivers eating or drinking behind the wheel. They also noted that eating while driving increases your chances of being involved in a car accident by 80%

How about reading and posting on the Vette Barn?
Old 05-27-2024, 11:40am   #399
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Since you referred to an NHTSA report...the NHTSA doesn't agree with you.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/26/2...rt-crash-death

NHTSA found that Tesla’s driver-assist features are insufficient at keeping drivers engaged in the task of driving, which can often have fatal results.

From your post:

How about reading and posting on the Vette Barn?
Distracted driving while having FSD/Autopilot driving the car is likely much safer than distracted driving without those systems. As I posted before, the number of accidents were a lot higher with autopilot or FSD NOT being on.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:42am   #400
jw38
A Real Barner

Quote:
Distracted driving while having FSD/Autopilot driving the car is likely much safer than distracted driving without those systems. As I posted before, the number of accidents were a lot higher with autopilot or FSD NOT being on.
Care to quote a source for your assumptions?

Tesla facing federal probe days after fatal Autopilot crash in Monroe

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ash-in-monroe/

Oops...

Drivers using Tesla Autopilot crashed hundreds of times, federal investigators say

https://www.axios.com/2024/04/26/tes...shes-elon-musk

I'll make it easier for you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tesl...&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic