Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2023, 4:15pm   #1
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 33,931 Times in 12,363 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124
Default 3,000 auto dealers sign letter opposing Biden's electric vehicle mandate

Electric vehicles 'are stacking up on our lots,' car dealers write to Biden

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...cbo=v2-MlKDcXm

A coalition of more than 3,000 auto dealers nationwide is sending an open letter to President Biden, calling on him to "tap the brakes" on his administration's aggressive electric vehicle (EV) push.

The coalition — which includes dealers located in all 50 states and who collectively sell every major car brand — is taking particular aim at the Biden administration's tailpipe emissions standards released earlier this year which are the most aggressive federal regulations of their kind ever issued. Under the regulations proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the majority of new vehicle purchases will be electric within a decade.

"These vehicles are ideal for many people, and we believe their appeal will grow over time," the dealers wrote in their letter to Biden on Tuesday. "The reality, however, is that electric vehicle demand today is not keeping up with the large influx of BEVs [battery electric vehicles] arriving at our dealerships prompted by the current regulations. BEVs are stacking up on our lots."

"Last year, there was a lot of hope and hype about EVs," the letter continued. "Early adopters formed an initial line and were ready to buy these vehicles as soon as we had them to sell. But that enthusiasm has stalled. Today, the supply of unsold BEVs is surging, as they are not selling nearly as fast as they are arriving at our dealerships -- even with deep price cuts, manufacturer incentives, and generous government incentives."

They added that, while the goals of the EPA regulations are admirable, they are also "unrealistic based on current and forecasted customer demand." The dealers further noted that the best indicator of customer demand in the auto marketplace is how EVs are stacking up in their lots.

The letter further noted that there are many issues facing the EV industry such as lacking charging infrastructure, energy grid instability and a lack of reliable mineral supplies vital for EV batteries.

"Mr. President, it is time to tap the brakes on the unrealistic government electric vehicle mandate. Allow time for the battery technology to advance. Allow time to make BEVs more affordable. Allow time to develop domestic sources for the minerals to make batteries," the letter stated.

"Allow time for the charging infrastructure to be built and prove reliable. And most of all, allow time for the American consumer to get comfortable with the technology and make the choice to buy an electric vehicle."

"With the mandates they are putting in place, they are forcing the consumer to buy something that they don't want," said Tom Maoli — one of the letter's signatories and the founder of New Jersey-based auto group Celebrity Motor Cars which operates multiple dealerships — in an interview with Fox News Digital. "Consumers are not buying into the electric vehicle market right now because the infrastructure is not there, they're concerned about the range and it's 20 to 30% higher to buy the vehicle."

"Even with the incentives that the manufacturers are offering, and that the government is offering, consumers just don't want to buy it," he continued. "

Gas-powered cars represented 93% of all new car sales in 2022, according to a report from the Alliance for Automotive Innovation.

Mike Mercury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 5:58pm   #2
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 69.4%

Thanked 3,833 Times in 1,723 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Not even news, Biden is ignoring the SCOTUS and still handing out student loan bailouts and installed an executive into the Dept of Energy that he couldn't get confirmed by Congress - so anybody think a bunch of car dealers will make him give a shit ?
Frankie the Fink is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 6:33pm   #3
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 87.8%

Thanked 18,866 Times in 8,358 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post
Electric vehicles 'are stacking up on our lots,' car dealers write to Biden

A coalition of more than 3,000 auto dealers nationwide is sending an open letter to President Biden, calling on him to "tap the brakes" on his administration's aggressive electric vehicle (EV) push.

The coalition — which includes dealers located in all 50 states and who collectively sell every major car brand — is taking particular aim at the Biden administration's tailpipe emissions standards released earlier this year which are the most aggressive federal regulations of their kind ever issued. Under the regulations proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the majority of new vehicle purchases will be electric within a decade.

"The reality, however, is that electric vehicle demand today is not keeping up with the large influx of BEVs [battery electric vehicles] arriving at our dealerships prompted by the current regulations. BEVs are stacking up on our lots."

Today, the supply of unsold BEVs is surging, as they are not selling nearly as fast as they are arriving at our dealerships -- even with deep price cuts, manufacturer incentives, and generous government incentives."

They added that, while the goals of the EPA regulations are admirable, they are also "unrealistic based on current and forecasted customer demand." The dealers further noted that the best indicator of customer demand in the auto marketplace is how EVs are stacking up in their lots.
"WAAAAAH - we ****ed people over on EVs (and every other type of vehicle) during the pandemic, and now customers don't want to buy cars from us anymore."

dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 6:58pm   #4
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 10,245 Times in 4,309 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Yet most people I know IRL, and several here, blame any/all economic problems on companies.

IT'S THE GOVERNMENT, STUPID. Government interference in the push/pull of supply and demand always ****s everything up.

Karl Marx, with a lot of help from our propaganda press and Marxist ideology being taught in schools and colleges, is winning. He hated capitalism (i.e. economic liberty) and blamed it for all the world's problems. Only government interference could fix it.

And here we are, 170 years later and a pile of murdered bodies of at least 100 million people, still not getting at the root of the problem.
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 9:32pm   #5
TheHammer
A Real Barner
Activity: 21.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2149

TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 9:42pm   #6
Swany00
Vette Barn Crew

Thanked 1,006 Times in 446 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $120

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
"WAAAAAH - we ****ed people over on EVs (and every other type of vehicle) during the pandemic, and now customers don't want to buy cars from us anymore."

I remember the rolling blackouts, newscum even recommended charging vehicles less. I don't have a problem with EV's, competition is great as is new technology, it's the forcing it on us because they want it that really pisses me the **** off.
Swany00 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Swany00 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 9:44pm   #7
Torqaholic
A Real Barner
Activity: 22.7%

Thanked 4,445 Times in 2,441 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15637580

They're treading in thin ice thinking they can negotiate with liberals. Pretty sure oblaimey unalived more auto-dealers than that with the stroke of a pen.
Torqaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:02pm   #8
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 33,931 Times in 12,363 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
I don't have a problem with EV's, competition is great as is new technology, it's the forcing it on us because they want it that really pisses me the **** off.
Mike Mercury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:22pm   #9
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 24,231 Times in 10,992 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
I don't have a problem with EV's, competition is great as is new technology, it's the forcing it on us because they want it that really pisses me the **** off.
This 100%
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 11:53pm   #10
Anjdog2003
Due to inflation they are no longer free
Activity: 97.8%

Thanked 26,245 Times in 10,269 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $324490

The problem with the Tesla's and some can smoke a corvette and the GM homers don't like that. Plus Tesla's are not cheap, starting at 40k plus. I like gas cars. But sooner or later most cars will be electric except the classic cars. I'am trying to figure out what years will they say are classic cars. I figure with Porsche Jaguar, and Ferrari they may go up to the early 70's. Probably the same with Corvettes considering any Corvette past 1972 isn't worth much.
Anjdog2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 12:01am   #11
Rodnok1
A Real Barner

Thanked 24,018 Times in 9,993 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

Quote:
I remember the rolling blackouts, newscum even recommended charging vehicles less. I don't have a problem with EV's, competition is great as is new technology, it's the forcing it on us because they want it that really pisses me the **** off.
Pretty much....

Possibly if they went with hybrid requirements first and gave the companies time to perfect it and lower costs it'd go over better... That and all our eggs wouldn't be in one basket.

But really the issue I have is all of us have to pay for the EVs charging.
They keep pushing oh its like the highways or water supplies so it benefits everyone.. Wrong.
Electricity needs will skyrocket and cost us all a fortune regardless of owning an ev or not.
Our power provider Duke has already said we the customer pay 100% of up upgrades for "green energy" including stations upgraded and infrastructure. We can except doubling of rates in a couple of years.

I also have nothing against an ev... Just the shit show being forced onto us.
Rodnok1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2023, 7:21am   #12
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,509 Times in 14,293 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
Pretty much....

Possibly if they went with hybrid requirements first and gave the companies time to perfect it and lower costs it'd go over better... That and all our eggs wouldn't be in one basket.

But really the issue I have is all of us have to pay for the EVs charging.
They keep pushing oh its like the highways or water supplies so it benefits everyone.. Wrong.
Electricity needs will skyrocket and cost us all a fortune regardless of owning an ev or not.
Our power provider Duke has already said we the customer pay 100% of up upgrades for "green energy" including stations upgraded and infrastructure. We can except doubling of rates in a couple of years.

I also have nothing against an ev... Just the shit show being forced onto us.
You can expect the rates to double, but I doubt that you can except them.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snide For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2023, 7:41am   #13
ptindall
A Real Barner
Activity: 5.0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $56446

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
They don't seem to have any problem selling gas or diesel vehicles so retribution for pandemic prices really has nothing to do with it. This is the very predictable outcome of government tampering with markets.
ptindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 7:45am   #14
Rodnok1
A Real Barner

Thanked 24,018 Times in 9,993 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

Quote:
Originally Posted by snide View Post
You can expect the rates to double, but I doubt that you can except them.
It's making me take a look at power usage as a 500 dollare electric bill won't be an easy nugget to cover when older and retired.
Rodnok1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2023, 10:07am   #15
Rob
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #14
Barn Raising II,III Chef

NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Ukranian Famers are the modern day Chuck Norris
Activity: 0%

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,475 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17601606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 View Post
The problem with the Tesla's and some can smoke a corvette and the GM homers don't like that. Plus Tesla's are not cheap, starting at 40k plus. I like gas cars. But sooner or later most cars will be electric except the classic cars. I'am trying to figure out what years will they say are classic cars. I figure with Porsche Jaguar, and Ferrari they may go up to the early 70's. Probably the same with Corvettes considering any Corvette past 1972 isn't worth much.

Just wait for the Tesla Model 2. That should be announced soon and rumor has it that it will be priced around $25k
Old 12-01-2023, 11:14am   #16
sublime1996525
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.3%

Thanked 6,694 Times in 3,001 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1008643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Just wait for the Tesla Model 2. That should be announced soon and rumor has it that it will be priced around $25k
Just like the Model 3 that was supposed to be under $30k or the truck under $40k…
sublime1996525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sublime1996525 For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic