Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Today, 11:58am   #521
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 41.0%

Thanked 7,928 Times in 3,542 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
Issues such that it debunks your position? Yeah, I can see why you want to dismiss that data.
What exactly do you think it "debunks"?

Even the most devoted supporter has admitted that the shit is unsafe other than on the highway.

It doesn't take a lot of brain power to see the inherent flaw in the "data" claiming that accidents don't happen while using FSD... when FSD turns off before the accident happens.

I'm not dismissing anything. I'm not anti-EV. I am, however, anti-bullshit. The data is incomplete at best. It's a sales pitch and is presented in a way to lead to a conclusion. That's not how data works. Unlike people who have their mind made up in advance, I would actually like to see complete data before coming to a conclusion. I don't want it filtered by Elon to show what he wants it to show and I don't want it filtered the other way either. I don't come up with an opinion and look for data to confirm it. It's the other way around. Data ~~> Conclusion.

If actual well collected data shows that it's safer, great. This is not that.

You're smarter than that.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:57pm   #522
SurfnSun
A Real Barner
Activity: 15.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $476

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Thanks for pointing out that there are indeed exceptions... which is why I didn't speak in absolutes and I didn't say ALL of the time.

And yes, unpredictability and actions taken without notice are the ones that people in other cars generally can't avoid. If you were paying attention to the rest of the post that you didn't quote, that is EXACTLY the point I was making. Normal idiots are pretty easy to avoid. Unpredictable idiots are the problem. And FSD is unpredictable.
I typed a huge response to why all of this wasn't logical and erased it. This is what's left....

Here's a list of cars with self driving features. GM, Ford, Tesla, Audi, BMW, Volvo, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, VW, Hyundai...Does your distrust extend to all of the manufacturers that have automated driving technology or is it just Tesla's?

I have done some quick googling and here is what I found....

The NHTSA says that self driving cars are twice as likely to have an accident as human driven cars. 9.1/mmd vs 4.2/mmd. mmd = million miles driven. However, what the NHTSA likes to break out into its own little box is drunk driving fatalities. They conveniently change the measurement standard to hundred million miles driven and its .43. Quick math tells us that is 43/mmd. 5x self driving and 10x normal human operator.

So statistically drunk humans are more unpredictable & dangerous than a self driving car and there are a lot more of them. Neither of them are very good...so try and stay alive out there.

There is your ray of sunshine for the day.
SurfnSun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:30pm   #523
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 41.0%

Thanked 7,928 Times in 3,542 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSun View Post
I typed a huge response to why all of this wasn't logical and erased it. This is what's left....

Here's a list of cars with self driving features. GM, Ford, Tesla, Audi, BMW, Volvo, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, VW, Hyundai...Does your distrust extend to all of the manufacturers that have automated driving technology or is it just Tesla's?

I have done some quick googling and here is what I found....

The NHTSA says that self driving cars are twice as likely to have an accident as human driven cars. 9.1/mmd vs 4.2/mmd. mmd = million miles driven. However, what the NHTSA likes to break out into its own little box is drunk driving fatalities. They conveniently change the measurement standard to hundred million miles driven and its .43. Quick math tells us that is 43/mmd. 5x self driving and 10x normal human operator.

So statistically drunk humans are more unpredictable & dangerous than a self driving car and there are a lot more of them. Neither of them are very good...so try and stay alive out there.

There is your ray of sunshine for the day.
You seem to be looking for some Tesla bias that isn't there. This thread is specifically about Tesla FSD, so that's what I was referring to.

Your list is labeled as: "self driving features". None of those except Tesla include the word FULL. I have an Audi with "self driving features". I have a Cadillac with "self driving features". I have a GMC with "self driving features". I have driven Volvo, Ford, and Hyundai versions as well. That is not even remotely the same as what Tesla is putting out there on the roads with their FULL self driving. None of those are navigating intersections without driver input. None are merging into traffic. None are driving through construction zones. They are all labeled as driver ASSIST functions. They ASSIST the driver. Most require the driver to be in contact with the wheel at all times. GM Super Cruise and Ford's Blue Cruise allow hands free in certain environments and situations only. They do not remove the driver from the equation entirely. The only function a driver serves with FSD is to have "fraction of a second" input when it screws something up.

Words matter. Definitions matter. Trying to equate what Tesla is doing with "Full Self Driving" to those other versions from other manufacturers is apples to giraffes. It's not even remotely close to the same thing.

To answer your question, no, my distrust is not some Tesla biased thing. I don't trust any of them to make a decision for me. I use it on all 3 vehicles that have it, but when I do, I am not browsing the internet believing that it will keep me safe.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic