Old 12-05-2016, 8:43pm   #18
OddBall
A Real Barner
Activity: 36.0%

Thanked 10,517 Times in 5,423 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29466197

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Could very well be, but I have read reports of reliability issues with the Filipino 1911's caused by cheap sub-par magazines. There was a lot of griping about the Rock Island's having feed issues early on due to their terrible magazines...they have since changed to an Italian manufactured magazine with their newer offerings and the problems seems to have subsided. Mine runs fine with their included Italian magazine, Colt Factory and Chip McCormick 'Shooting Star' mags.

I know his is an ATI, but I would be willing to bet it's made in the same factory as the Rock Islands/Citadel's etc.

If it's any consolation, my Colt Commander was a jam-o-matic until I put around 500 rounds through it...When I was trying to figure out what the problem was, I took it to a very well regarded Gunsmith and he was perplexed, he just told me to keep shooting it. So I did, and it's fine now. Weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
It could be as simple as the tension or feed angle of the mags. The 1911 is a mechanism that is precisely timed. Slow down or alter that timing and funky things can happen.

As Chinaski wrote, sometimes simply breaking in a weapon smooths everything out.

I've had shitty mags too, and you're right, sometimes just breaking them in does the trick. What confounds me is that the round is making it out of the mag, and I'm assuming making it most of the way into the chamber. At that point is the issue still the mag? It could be, as you suggested the timing could be skewed. Also, it could be a combo of things as well.
I still keep coming back to it cycling ok during rapid fire. That still tells me that there is a lot of heat still in the weapon, expanding things just enough to allow freer movement 'twixt the parts. Maybe some more polishing is needed? Hell it could be the bullets aren't seated in the brass properly, or too little headspace in the chamber.
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote