Old 11-30-2016, 7:15pm   #10
ApexOversteer
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 7,684 Times in 3,615 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $975924

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
I agree with MrPeabody; wouldn't the seller's misrepresentation give you some leverage to bring the price down? What is the market value on a modular in your area? Hopefully you might be in a position to do some pretty severe arm twisting.

Edit: Oops, missed the aluminum wiring. See if they'll replace it.

Yeah, you should have heard the listing agent squeal. His balls are in a vice and I'll tell you why.

He sold the place to the current owner. Now, I haven't met the current owner in person, and I'd have a hard time believing that anyone that owned a building for 16 years and supposedly redid the place once 16 years ago, and then paid to have it done a second time two years ago, wouldn't know it was a modular home, especially since my inspector only had to climb halfway up a ladder and shimmy halfway into a crawlspace to know the place was a modular, but apparently the current owner actually believes the place to have been stick built in 1968.

Now, the listing agent has to go back and tell the current owner why his house failed the inspection, and he's got no other way to justify it other than "it's a modular with aluminum wiring" and "it's not worth what you're asking", which I'm told is just a couple thousand dollars more than the seller needs to break even on the place, but that's probably just a bargaining tactic...

At any rate, I'm not sure what modulars are worth around here, I dismiss them out of hand because trailers and modulars have a stigma and I don't want to deal with it...
ApexOversteer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApexOversteer For This Useful Post: