Old 10-01-2012, 2:16pm   #14
tbrent
Charter Member
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $135

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB Vette View Post
Hey "T",

Sorry for the delayed response, been kinda busy lately.

To answer your question, YES you can do it

You will have to remove your current roof, you can cut it right at the front of the roll bar with a sabre saw and use a heat gun to soften the adhesive and get the front portion off of the windshield frame.

You will have to cut the roll bar with a cutting wheel on an angle grinder right at the base of the top. The roll bar needs to stay attached to roof so you'll have mounting points for your targa. Then you'll have to remove the rear portion with heat again to soften the adhesive. Set this aside, you'll be using it again.

You'll need two convertible tonneau covers (one with the hinges) if you truly want the best of both worlds. I can swap my roof with a tonneau cover in about twenty minutes if I want switch it back to a vert. I do not have a soft top installed because of my stereo setup. You will, also need the waterfall assembly with the center latch.

After you get everything removed mount the tonneau cover and hinges to you car. Then you have to start cutting and fitting the rear portion of your roof to the tonneau (you will need a targa top to do this with the front and rear latches installed).

Here's my original thread on CF - Another FRV (Fixed Roof Vert) in the works - Pics - Corvette Forum

FRV Update pics - Corvette Forum

A new halo cover for a coupe will be needed also as well some interior trim pieces.

There's more but, that's enough for now to keep those wheels turning

GARY! Thank you thank you thank you! I read your post 4 times as your last line about the wheels turning was very accurate.. LOL.. I hope all is well with you and you have no idea how much I appreciate your help!

I actually had attempted to have safelite auto glass replace my windshield.. Big to do. They tried three times and in between breaking windshields from mishandling and trying to send a damaged one out the door installed in my vette. I got their best installer and he wouldn't sign his name off on the third attempt. (actually a great guy). Didn't want to put his name on it as the previous attempt at another safelite location lost hardware in the process of installing the bad windshield.. They lost screws that attach brackets to the car that the weather stripping attaches too?... They then attempted to epoxy those pieces to the car....

Now they have ordered all new brackets hardware and weather stripping... I contacted them and asked they could send back what they ordered so I could get the parts necessary for a coupe instead as I wanted to atleast do the targa conversion if I couldn't figure out if the whole shebang was possible So here is one more question then I can start to chip away over winter

I realize I will have to just buy some of the pieces like the back side targa piece that fastens to the rear portion of the roof but am I right that all the parts they have I need to just swap any part that would be used on the coupe that is different than the frc? I am not sure what parts those would be.. Sorry... I have a copy in my email of the parts manifest... I don't know if you would want to take a gander and then I can order up and not bother you til maybe holiday time if I have gotten a bunch of cutting done

Again.. Thanks so much for the time you have already given Gary. I'm so amped up!

If you want to just gimmie a shout anytime 816 825 8201... I promise not to keep you more than 5-10 minutes.... At this time I would say I probably owe you a KCFD t-shirt to help me earn some "Gary minutes"
tbrent is offline   Reply With Quote