View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 2:50pm   #12
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

BTW, there was an active campaign here in Joplin recently to get the mayor to lock down the city. It was started by a woman I know very well, and frankly it probably will make me reconsider said friendly relationship. She was very strident about locking everything down after *gasp* seeing 30 or so kids playing in a park a few weeks ago. Meanwhile hundreds of people trudge through various stores every hour of the day. Again, we have one case here, and it came from out-of-state. Nothing else confirmed.

My wife and a bunch of our friends all messaged the mayor through his city contact page and told him a lock down was the last thing this city needs right now. Most businesses are already reeling, this would destroy them entirely.

So today the mayor made a "stay at home" decree. At first I was shocked that he caved. But then I read the decree and it's not bad at all. All it really does is ban groupings of more than 10 people. You can have 100 people in a place if they keep their social distance. But you can't have 100 people in a meeting room or something like that. And the police won't stop you and ask where you are going so you can do as you please in that respect. Also he encouraged people to get outside and enjoy the spring weather, just follow these rules for now.

Actually I think he kinda played the "lock it down now!" crowd. They got their decree and can declare victory. Meanwhile businesses stay open for the most part and life goes on. Also Old Chicago and Logan's Roadhouse announced today that they are closing indefinitely and have fired all employees including management. Both are owned by the same corporation, but they are the first franchised restaurants closed down here. It sucks because the Old Chicago was nearby, was always busy, and was a great place to grab a bite to eat and a couple craft brews. It's connected to a La Quinta hotel too, so it had a captive clientele. Lots of travelers and truckers stay there, it's always full.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote