View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 7:58am   #23
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272

I managed a 500 station PC network for a decent sized company. Internet, email, etc...were still fairly new to most people. I had just upgraded our network with all new Cisco equip. big money pieces. I had a full T1 to the internet. The help desk started getting calls about the internet access was down. I tried mine and it was painfully sluggish trying to do anything. Then a phone call and was told a plane had hit a building in NYC. Being a WW2 enthusiast remembered a B25 hitting the Empire State Bldg. story and thought something similar or a small plane. I went to our conf. room and it was on TV. Everyone was trying to hit the internet at the same time for info and just shut my $$$ system to a crawl.

I remember the shock to everyone, including myself. Just pure shock. What would happen next? What was their next target? Completely unaware and prepared for anything like it. Shutting down the entire airline airline system.

I always thought. Just a little more planning and attacks in small towns at malls or other public gathering places and a lot of people would have gone nuts if anything had happened closer to them.

Just the shock of it...and what kind of attack(s) would be next is what I remember most.

Lots of threads on CFOT. Most got bundled into one and they were bitching about people posting or starting too many threads about it.

Still, CF being fairly new, email, internet, etc...someone from another country had contacted me just before about using my C2 Corvette pics on their website. I always thought that was considerate instead of just saving them and using them without permission. I got an email a couple days later from the guy expressing extreme grief about the attack on us and how great the US was to the world. That always moved me. He was very sincere about it. I wish I had kept it or his info.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote