Old 12-08-2014, 9:41am   #131
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Knock Knock were home!

Electric just came back on awhile ago and was really surprised to see it happen so soon.

While I had hoped it would be on soon, I have learned a long time ago that anything that can go wrong in the Philippines.. Usually will..

So was expecting a up to week maybe.

A Filipina friend of mine told me this advice the first week I arrived here back in 03, and she was right..

I have not yet had a chance to read any news and hope there were zero lives lost as was the goal of the Philippines this time around.

I have to admit that we learned many valuable but hard lessons from Typhoon Yolanda last year.

Shortly after my last post the other day, the Police showed up here in our village and told us it was mandatory Evacuation and we had to go now..

I had planned to hang out here at home and maybe even post some more here till the electric went out, but left for higher ground about 6PM our time.

Rains and the high winds started around 10, and got really bad about 1am and continued well into the next day.

I finally went home myself while it was still windy and raining about 6PM the following day.

Not sure when it was completely over but went to get my wife and cubs about 5 am this morning.

This storm was no where near as powerful as Yolanda was last year, but did last a long long time as it was slow moving.

Luckily where we are.. the winds were very high, but not the powerful tree breaking.. blow your house away kinda storm like we had last year.

I hope those north and also the east of us fared as well.

It was high tide here this time, so I expect the storm surge hit a much higher ground than last year, and know that some people probably thought they were safe so did not evacuate as they should have.

We were listening to updates on the radio all through the storm, but the station was elsewhere so the language was Ilongo, and just a mix of Bisaya & Cebuano, so I did not understand most of it.. as even most Filipinos in the house did not also.

But Tata spent a few years living there so he could translate what was going on for us.

Anyways I'm rambeling.. I have about a dozen or more people here celebrating life here and drinking Rhum at the house tonight, and will post more later.

Good news though, I only lost 1/2 of my roof this year.. and our village only took minor damage.

This year I packed everything away better, and other than roof and water damage, loss of my Banana crop... nothing else much was damaged.

And we are lucky enough to have our dry guest house to stay in till the roof is fixed.

island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to island14 For This Useful Post: