Old 07-08-2011, 7:53pm   #11
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,005 Times in 2,777 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Z51 View Post
Very true. Just don't let anyone try to tell you that the only possible way you are ever going to be successful is to have some high paid graphic "artist" who thinks he knows your business and market better than you do design it for you. There are plenty of well qualified people out there who are very capable of working with you to put together a good quality, successful site without having to spend a ton of money. Not to mention the aggravation saved by not dealing with some arrogant know-it-all.
QFT.

But it ain't just about art. The challenge is finding a good programming guy who can make it look good and knows how to design an interface that doesn't confuse people.

But a really good designer working with a really good programmer is priceless.

I have a really good resource for Joomla and Drupal development and he's cheap starting around $5K. www.safarimultimedia.com (check out his site...)

$5K?! you scream.... I want a site for $250!

Can you get a site cheap? Sure.

Do you get what you pay for. Sure.

Are all artists arrogant know it all assholes? Hardly.

Do some professionals know your business better than you. Sometimes.

Keep in mind, people who do this stuff professionally, have worked with hundreds of businesses, built hundreds of web sites, created strategies, seen every problem there is and know how to make things happen.

The key is choosing the right ones. A track record of success is the only way to know.

This goes for techie assholes, artist assholes, consultant assholes, et. al., who think they know your business better than you also.

If you are starting a business, just putting up a web site is a tiny fraction of what will make it successful (i.e., revenue and profit).

You'll need:
  • marketing and sales strategy
  • merchant account
  • copy writing
  • graphic design
  • promotion
  • management

and a lot of time and energy.

Personally I wouldn't hire anyone who didn't know my business better than me. That's what I'm paying for.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote