Old 03-25-2017, 10:15pm   #4
TripleBlack
Barn Raising I
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 2,060 Times in 876 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $308343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I've heard about these spinner things before and wondered how they work.
How do they work?

I shouldn't laugh but,,,,
The most common method and the one the hair on fire guy used is to attach a chain or cord to a wire whisk and stuff it with fine steel wool. You can easily light the steel wool with a lighter or even better with a crack pipe torch which of course we used. Once lit, you just spin the whisk on the end of the chain. The extra oxygen flow from the spinning is like adding gasoline... the sparks go crazy.

I was shooting 25-30 second exposures which worked well - the whisk would burn out in a few seconds less than that.

There was another guy there with an amazing device called a Pixelstick. Google it and check some of the amazing things it does. This is a 30 second exposure where the guy used a simple color changing pattern to "paint". The device is a computer controlled array of LEDs. It can be programmed to display almost anything, including fairly realistic representations of jpgs, etc.

Oh, hair actually on fire may be a alight exaggeration but he did catch a few live sparks in his hair. Fortunately he uses water based styling products so damage was minimal.

TripleBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TripleBlack For This Useful Post: