Old 02-09-2024, 10:23pm   #28
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,006 Times in 2,778 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeinMI View Post
I watched TOS as a kid, watched most of TNG as an adult, and tried to get into DS9 and Voyager but never did. The latest reboot movies were pretty hit or miss, but mostly watchable. I haven't wanted to watch Discovery or Picard, but I'm actually getting into Strange New Worlds a bit.

Fun fact: If you're a fan of TOS, check out "Star Trek Continues" on YouTube. It's mainly a fan-fiction series, but it's done in the style of TOS, with similar lighting, music, plots, and special effects. They even managed to get a few legit tie-ins to TOS (e.g., the actor who played Apollo makes a return, James Doohan's son plays Scotty, Erin Grey is a SF admiral). It's designed to be a bridge between the end of the TOS series and the 1979 movie, so uniforms evolve accordingly.

I'm also dusting off an old model of the Enterprise that I put in the closet for 15 years, and finally trying to finish it. There were threads here a few years ago, where @SnikPlosskin built the same one.

I am still not finished with that model. Life got in the way (surgeries) and the electronics are really complex. I think it’s been five years since I worked on it.

That model has structural problems. It’s very unbalanced and the mounting rod puts a lot of pressure on a part with very little glue surface. That huge dish is heavy so the models eventually split in half.

I also can’t remember the wiring scheme so I am having to run every circuit down with a multimeter to ensure it’s hooked up right while praying that I didn’t get a wire wrong and the thing never comes to life.

My other fear is gluing the dish together and having to carefull fill and seal it without disturbing the paint job or tiny decals.

Right now it seems dead but it could be that everything has to be hooked up and powered before it will work. Before I could run test leads, bypassing the circuit board - it worked then. I had the shuttle bay working with the board hooked up but now nothing.

Unfortunately I have no time to put in on it. The paint is gorgeous ours with five color iridescent paint. I didn’t use Aztec decals. I masked and painted interlocking patterns in five colors plus flat white.

Insane. I. Am.

Then, once it’s done, where the **** do I put it. It’s three feet long.

I’ll try to post some pictures of the current state of the thing. It’s a mess.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post: