2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poog View Post
Care to share your methodology?
Pretty simple. Without going into gory detail, I just removed the membrane from the bone-side of each rack. This is pretty important. You can google how to do it if you're not sure. Then a simple dry rub that doesn't have a lot of sugar. It's best to let the rub sit on the ribs in the fridge overnight if you can. I didn't this time though. My rub had a little sugar, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle powder, and dried mustard. Just salt and pepper is fine too, but put on plenty.

Then smoke at 225 for 6 to 8 hours. I used pecan wood. Towards the end I basted it with some homemade BBQ sauce that was watered down so it was runny. Put on about four or five coats of it so it caramelized on the outside of the meat. You can add more wood chunks during this phase if you want your glaze to be smoky.

When they are very tender take off and rest a bit, then slice the ribs apart and optionally slice the meat off the bone so it's easier for your guests to eat. This goes great with something like mac and cheese, potato salad, baked beans, BBQ type stuff. Oh, and more BBQ sauce on the side.

Note that when you get these ribs from the butcher or store, they are known as beef short ribs, uncut. Sam's Club has these in cryopacs. One Sam's cryopac contains six full ribs as you can see above. These were nice and meaty. Somethings you'll have less "cap" on them and if so you'll need to make more. These were enough to feed 6 hungry people with a little leftover. Leftovers are great for sandwiches or shredded on nachos.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post: