View Single Post
Old 06-22-2022, 9:33am   #20
erickpl
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $111433

Quote:
Originally Posted by theandies View Post
Some can't afford a "commuter car" that cost $30,000+ just to save a few $$$ and a long distance car. In the end our you really saving money? Even at $5 a gallon it would take YEARS and YEARS to save enough money from not buying gas to get your ROI on an EV.
You can take my ICE from my cold dead fingers because I'm not ever going to buy an EV unless they can charge TO FULL under 3 minutes and get at least 400 miles range on one charge. And I'll fight our tyrants if they try to force this on us.
My wife got rid of her other car prior to this one and realized she liked having the independence of her own car. She just chose to go electric this time, so she's not having to buy gas as much. The side benefit is me not having to drive my truck for in-town crap, where it really sucks the gas. I have NO plans to get rid of my truck (or my offroad Jeep Wrangler) any time soon, for much the same reasons you note Charlton Heston style.

You talk about $30,000 cars here, yet you're on a Corvette forum - cars that do cost over $30,000. Just observing. Many here do drive them every day as commuter cars and not just garage queens (though there are a lot of them here too LOL).

And my ICE truck has NEVER filled in 3 minutes or less - not with a 26 gallon tank. Not sure what kind of car you're driving that fills up in 3 minutes unless it is a Chevy Cruze or Ford Focus with a tiny tank. And even at full capacity, my truck has rarely gotten 400 mpg for in town driving. Highway, yeah it can if I'm light on the pedal.

But I get your point. And I agree charge times and battery capacities are THE biggest hurdles right now, followed closely by those values while TOWING something - my biggest issue.

But I will still contend, for around town driving and occasional long trips, the EV's are pretty nice. And it is NOT slow.

It's nice to have the option of alternate fuel choices, so that when things get screwy like they have been, and will be again, there are other ways to work around it. I don't want anything forced down our throats either, but with tax incentives and rebates, it sure makes it a more attractive alternative that are at least worth considering IF you are in the market for a vehicle.

But I will say, the issues you note are probably the modern day equivalent of what people said when the transition from horse/buggy to the first cars were. "It'd better be able to go XX far before I have to fill it compared to giving the horse water and food/I'd better be able to have a place to store it, like I can my horse and buggy in the barn." LOL

New technology leads to uncertainty for some. Another reason it shouldn't be mandated. Some, like you, just don't want to get rid of that which is different from what works. But at the same time, that is not a reason to dismiss it either.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erickpl For This Useful Post: