Old 05-04-2018, 3:34pm   #19
Entropy
Fantasy Football Champ '12
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 1,264 Times in 766 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $90918

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
So, instead of the Girl Scouts changing with the times and offering content of interest to today's modern girl, let's destroy a beloved institution like the Boy Scouts instead. The Boy Scouts could have offered program material, facilities rental, etc., to help Girl Scout troops with interest to pursue disciplines promulgated by the Boy Scouts. As stated, I don't even see an issue with some joint activities by both groups.

If you sisters could have had some content overlap, like hiking, archery, or whatever, would they have lost interest in the Girl Scouts?

Full disclosure: Was a scout, no kids, so not involved now.
I'm not seeing this as the destruction of a beloved institution. Women have been involved with scouting for a long time. Even at the beloved Philmont, women have been rangers for close to 50 years.
https://www.outsideonline.com/230069...d-girl-rangers

I think this graphic will help people understand what's changing, and how much isn't changing.

I'm not sure why the Girl Scouts don't change. That's their prerogative.

The issue why my sisters lost interest wasn't due to activities, it was fundamental program design. They saw my brother and I get opportunities for leadership development that just aren't available in the Girl Scouts (and wouldn't be available unless they did an entire restructure). That really separates the two programs, and isn't an easily fixable option.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote