Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
I have Covid pneumonia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
Wait, what? What is that?
Quote:
What you have is commonly termed "SARS" = Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. That is what happened to me back in 1999 that I described above. Basically the virus infects your whole lungs. All "pneumonia" really means is "infected lungs". That could be a bacterial infection (often resolved quickly if the proper antibiotics are administered early enough), or a viral infection in the case of a flu that causes the infection. Like I said above, the SARS is what actually kills you if you die from the flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
I believe that is the logic behind giving the antibiotics alongside the other treatments. My dad was on steroids, now a zpack. day 20 or so and he is still ok as far as oxygen levels and temperature, but feels like hammered dog shit and has a cough.
Quote:
I agree 100%.

I was NOT given z-pack initially. I developed a cough which eventually resulted in green stuff being coughed up. Only then was I given the antibiotic.

It knocked it out, but over a week passed and now it's back. And the blood oxygen levels are dropping all over again. Shortness of breath is starting to present itself.

I am not a doctor, but I'm wondering if I had been given the Z-pack at the start if I would be where I'm at presently.
Correct. The Z-pack, or other antibiotics your Doctor prescribes will not affect the flu virus that is the cause of your infection. However, when your lungs are infected with a flu bug, they will produce pus, which in this case, is a fabulous breeding ground for lots of other infections. The anti-biotics are prescribed on a "prophylactic" basis to try to stop aggravating infections.

Sorry to hear you are still struggling SeaSix. Hang in there!
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post: