MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
New spark plugs, fired right up.

I don't have a lot of miles on the old one, and they were fouled. Horribly fouled. Not oil, but carbon type stuff. They are sitting in a bucket in the garage, I can take pics later, but I'm assuming a rich condition.

What do I need to do?
Bottoming out your idle mixture screws and backing them out one and a half turns was a good starting point, but it may not be the best position in all applications. If it was they would not make them adjustable.

At idle speed, connect a vacuum gauge and a tachometer to the engine. Turn the screws until you get the highest reading on both gauges. This may take a bit of playing around. It is best to do this while friends or at least your wife is watching because if you keep a serious look on your face you will really appear to know what you are doing. Also, if you bottom them out, do it gently because the needle and seat are fragile and the slightest damage to them can make a big difference. You may also want to reduce jet size, or try a plug with a hotter heat range. You are burning rich and cold.

I don't remember what I had for lunch on Monday, but I remember all of the above from auto shop in the 60s.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post: