Old 01-22-2012, 1:50pm   #19
Frizlefrak
Barn Stall Owner #46
Activity: 1.0%

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,214 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4309769

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW7 View Post
Looks like a fun project Friz, I see you have a solid limited rust body to start with , that makes it alot easier to get the end result perfect..Why is one of the pistons different from the rest???. Is that the Easter egg you spoke of ??WW
Ding ding ding....we have a winner And also what clued me to at least one rebuild along the way.

Yes, almost no rust in the structure of this car, but I have found some things that need to be addressed. One shock tower has some cracking I will have to weld, and the heater core had leaked for a lonnnng time....pinholes in pass floor. There are quarter sized cancer spots on rear quarters, but under carriage, trunk, torque boxes, everything else is solid as can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
I do like the sound of a 4bbl opening up, but I have seen 350 cubic inch cars run 13's with 2bbls. Those motorcraft carbs are sooo simple to effectively rebuild, I would keep it around.
I've never had any experience with the Autolite ( 4100 series I think) 2 bbls, and have read that they're problematic....but again, just what I've read. The one that was on the car is a throw away....body is cracked and a piece missing on the air horn. I've priced them, and they are close to $200. That gets me a nice 4 bbl, and I don't mind the extra $250 or so for the intake.

I found a ton of bubbafication on this car along the way. Wrong headers that didn't really fit correctly and leaked. The P.O. also routed the speedo cable between the header and the floor pan.....yes, it melted. Torque converter nuts were loose....no more than 8 ft lbs on them. They would have come off at some point. Rear trans mount was gone....as in just chunks of rubber. Left motor mount had wrong bolts....which wouldn't seat, and thus were loose. #7 spark plug was finger spin loose. It's a wonder this car ran at all, but it did. I bought it from a buddy and he drove it home when he bought it. It then sat for 10 years until I got it.

I'm shooting for an August 1 maiden voyage. I'll keep you all posted.
Frizlefrak is offline   Reply With Quote