Old 11-23-2020, 10:17pm   #49443
C3C7NIC
Barn Stall Owner #102
Activity: 15.5%

Thanked 14,232 Times in 4,354 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Do I want to know what the cockroach pose is?

Candie, I’m probably one of the most relaxed people you could meet - meet being the operable word. What’s going on right now isn’t political to me. I deal in facts, statistics and objective proof, much of which is either lacking or being used to advance agendas right now. I’ve asked for one - just one - objective peer-reviewed study that proves wearing a piece of cloth over your face prevents the spread of a virus, any virus. I’m not talking about correlation misconstrued as causation, or modeling using plastic dummies and fake sneezes, but actual proof. I’m still waiting to see one.

You accuse me of using hyperbole, which is true at times, just like you do at times. So, here are some facts for you to consider:

We live in a county with 100,000 people. There is no statewide or countywide mask mandate. There was no lockdown. COVID tests have been free to everyone here for many months, no symptoms or doctor order required. The positivity rate has stayed between 3-5%. As of today we’ve had 2,940 positive tests, which is 2.9% of the population. There have been 54 deaths, which is 0.05% of the population, and a death rate of 1.8% of those with positive tests. Most of those deaths were elderly in nursing homes. I’m not inclined to masks, lockdowns, or anything else when my risk of dying from something is less than 0.05%. Right now there is one person hospitalized with COVID in the entire county, and that person is not in the ICU. Even with that data we are bombarded constantly with panicked calls for a statewide mask mandate and lockdown. Why?

Approximately 60,000 people in the U.S. died from the flu last year. There was almost no media coverage, no lockdowns and no masks to be seen anywhere. Why not? Is there some magic number of viral deaths below which we don’t care and above which we take extreme measures? What is that number?

NYC, which has had some of the harshest lockdowns for months, has the highest COVID death rate this year at 288 per 100,000 people. Florida, with no lockdowns and no mask mandate, has 84 deaths per 100,000 people, even though Florida’s population is older than most states. Talk about things that make you go Hmmm...

I wouldn’t think of telling someone to put a piece of cloth, any kind of cloth, over their face for protection from airborne radioactive material because not only would it not be effective, but could potentially exacerbate the problem. My advice would be to wear a proper mask, and I’d provide one. For masks to be effective right now we should be told what mask to wear, not just “wear something on your face.”

I could go on, as there are a whole lot more data that don’t support the “deadly virus” narrative and extreme measures, but I don’t believe you’re interested in anything that doesn’t support what you’re being told and what you’re seeing in your city.

You decide what risk is acceptable to you and your loved ones and I’ll do the same. We can agree to disagree.
I may be too intoxicated to respond with any level of clarity

I’m thrilled your county is doing so well, sadly not the case in many places.

I have posted several studies showing masks are effective at “reducing” transmission of COVID. I AGREE, N95 is the only mask highly effective at transmission of viral particles in close contact with a positive individual. However, combined with social distancing and the other recommendations we have all heard for months, regular masks are very helpful at reducing spread. (Not non filtered bs “face coverings”, I agree with you > are minimally helpful, if at all.

In OK, we are now at almost triple the deaths from COVID, that we have ever seen with even the worst flu season. Our deaths from COVID already exceed prior year death numbers from diabetes, liver disease, suicide or pneumonia. Closing in on quarter of a million deaths would definitely classify as a “deadly virus” in my book. How many have to perish for you to feel comfortable with calling it deadly?

Not sure where the major divide is between us or why you get so worked up at Murr, DP or I if we support precautions. You act as if we want to have everyone sitting in their basement, in the fetal position, living in constant fear. (The hyperbole I refer to)

Social Distance, wear a mask when indoors if distancing is not possible, don’t gather in large groups. Easy.

Florida compared to NY? Surely you know the main differences, population density and in NY a much higher % of residents that utilize public transportation.

If my taking precautions will help prevent spread and saves some lives, damn straight I will do it with a gracious and willing heart. Just like doing the speed limit in populated areas to avoid causing harm to others. When I want to open it up and drive excessively fast, I do it in areas I won’t risk harm to others, because I am a selfless queen like that.

We can agree to disagree. My place of being passionate is because I have seen the suffering and cannot ignore what is happening. Again, pleased you have not had to see it, maybe your lack of experiencing this has made you jaded to the reality of this “deadly virus”.

Still like you and I’m not mad, will happily let you buy me a drink and a fine meal anytime.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to C3C7NIC For This Useful Post: