View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 6:27pm   #1
Munch
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #00
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2041885
Default Possible impulse buy, requesting guidance.

Saw this 74 L82 4spd driving home last night, called the guy this morning and he sounded like a really nice older guy and extremely motivated to sell plus he wants it to go to someone local and in to Corvettes. I love my C5 but this car is the one I've wanted ever since I can remember and a similar one slipped through my fingers many years ago. The guy says he has owned it for the last 20 years and has put 13k miles on it, currently has 33k. Says it was his Saturday night car, kept in an insulated garage, never driven in the rain etc.... The body seems pretty clean except that both the front and rear fascias have turned in to what seems like dried out old convertible top window plastic and are ripped where you could put your hand though them. I haven't checked yet but hoping these are something you can buy through ecklers or one of those places. I'm going to assume all the bushings, seals, shocks, hoses etc are going to need to be replaced because of the age but that doesn't bother me and I have plans for the drivetrain so as long as it drives I'm not too concerned.

I want the car for a project to work on and keep me busy. I don't plan for it to be a frame off resto nor do I care if the numbers match or if it's stock but I will get the body nice and repainted as well as engine, trans, diff, brakes and suspension upgrades so I can beat on it without worry. With all that being said, what are some things I should look for and where are the hot spots to look for rust or damage? Any horrors with the 74 that I should know about? The guy said he would come and unlock the doors / pop the hood whenever I wanted but I thought I would find out some stuff to look for first.

The guy said he is asking $15k obo. I was thinking $7k would be a really good deal and I'd be comfy going as high as $10k if there was no rust or unseen damage. With that limited info, what do you guys think??? Part of me feels that if I was serious I should maybe look for a 68 but then I fear I am getting in to the big $$ years.

Munch is offline   Reply With Quote