Old 04-30-2018, 12:30pm   #172
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixievet View Post

and not visiting a beach resort or a fancy hotel in a 3rd world country, get out there where the people live and spend a few days/nights living with them like they do.

When we stay at my in-laws there are rats that run through the room at night (over you) while sleeping, open sewage running down the side of the road because some people don't have indoor plumbing. It is humbling.
Whenever I visit another country, third world or otherwise, or even another state, I always try to make it a point to walk among those who live there and see the places they go to. I go to a grocery store and see what's available and what it costs. When I was a printer, I used to try and find a print shop and go introduce myself and talk to them about the business there. I found a print shop in Jamaica and the owner was very friendly and showed me around. He was very proud of his business and equipment, which looked like stuff we junked 20 years ago. But somehow he kept it running and made a living. Hats off to him, but it made me a little happier to be working where I was back home.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post: