Old 07-26-2023, 11:58am   #53
Chemtrails99
A Real Barner
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 1,362 Times in 534 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY03C5Z View Post
I’ve heard complaints of leaks but I have never had a single one in mine, 03 with 60k now. Although I don’t drive in rain very often, it has been in rainstorms and of course washing it. I’ve never noticed a drop in mine?

I love the stock wheels, still on mine. Yes tire choices are limited, but you don’t have to stick to the original obscure front size (265/40/17) just use a 255 or 275. Rears I currently have 285’s instead of the stock 295’s, or you can go 305.

All in all this is surprisingly one of the most reliable problem free cars I’ve ever owned, and I drive it hard at every chance I get. It’s still a FANTASTIC performance car for the money, really can’t be touched in the $20k price range.

I envy you. I got mine because reviews said they were reliable and at the time my wife hated Miatas. I could never get clear picture of what other tires would fit, so it's good to know it's not as much an issue as I had. Think the last set of tires cost me around 3k for just the tires. That's far worse than the huge mud tires on my truck!

The windows have always leaked, wasn't aware f it early on because I was in California and it rarely rained. Florida is another animal completly. The water literally pours in. Seems to be around windshield, rainrails and side window gaskets. I blobbed silicone all over the rails hoping to stop/ slow it and nothing changed. Just realized that somebody should scan the damn rails and sell the info to 3D print them to people. Maybe even improve the damn things.

My issues started with the steering ram brackets breaking. No new part available, so paid 3k for a used one. Another grand to install and it's ZO6 only. Then the electical started acting up. Window leak ran under dash to steering position sensor, f'ed it up and I had to replace it. Later the safety start switch on the brake pedal died for the same reason.

Then the clutch slave cylinder died, and I no longer had a lace to work on it. Between parts and install went another 4500 bucks. Countless other minor issues like LED readout on heater panel died, seatbelts wore out (still less than 100k on car), tranny/ rear end leaky seals, water pump died (twice GM parts), driver seat base died, and probably a half a dozen other things. The car runs 2 or 3 months, and then sits 6 months trying to get parts/ time/ effort to fix. Sitting now as I can't work on it to remove a broken threadchaser to finish a waterpump install. Pint is f'ed from sitting in sun and have hood/ trunk deck to replace and paints to d other issues...but sickness says "NO" until ???.

I really want it running to justify all the expense and grief....wife hates it and wants it gone. Thinks we should sell it and use money towards new ND Miata.
Chemtrails99 is offline   Reply With Quote