Old 12-25-2019, 8:39am   #215
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 41.7%

Thanked 7,059 Times in 3,119 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsgarage View Post
Makes sense, but what if you post regularly from two different IPs ? I split my time between home and work, I think my work IP even comes up as out of state (where the servers are) so I wonder..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
So now your forum account is associated with multiple IP addresses, and that's perfectly OK - you might log in from your phone, or from work, or from Starbucks, and each of those places will have a different IP address. So if you were to log in regularly from your local Starbucks, and then some new member were to join and log in from that same Starbucks, there might be some confusion on the part of the moderation team.
^^^^This.

This is why a basic banning was to simply lock the account associated with your user name. You can go anywhere in the world and try to log in, and your IP address at that moment won't matter.

We got into the IP address discussion because some folks started talking about trying to get around the ban by opening a new account, but your IP address will probably give you away. Someone above said they have bots that check for that, AFAIK, we didn't have such things when I was a mod, but it has been about a decade since I last served in that capacity, so I'm sure software upgrades have been significant.

But like I said above, trying to game the system to get around a ban is a dick move, and normally earns you a perma, which I am fine with.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote