View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 10:59pm   #208
Patsgarage
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
This is actually a fairly technical question that I am sure I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to answer fully. I can get you started though:

I am in my house typing on my laptop. The way I get on the internet is to pay an "ISP" = Internet Service Provider. The ISP provides the connection that plugs into the back of my wireless router. The ISP "assigns" the IP address to my router based on a bunch of things, most importantly who my ISP is, and my physical location. Anything connecting to the internet via my wireless router, including phones/tablets/laptops using my wifi, devices like my fire-sticks and AppleTV that provide my connection to Netflix or MLB.tv, etc. will have the same IP address which is the address of my router.

This address is what my son (who is an expert on this shit) calls "relatively static". My understanding of what he said is that that my ISP CAN change my router's IP address, but such activities require "resources", which means it costs money, so they don't do it unless there is a reason. Said another way, as a user, I can consider my router's IP address to be static.

IMO, once you leave the confines of your own home wifi, you get into a more technical discussion that I'm not going to attempt to tackle. I'm sure a Google search will be able to connect you to more informed descriptions.
Makes sense, but what if you post regularly from two different IPs ? I split my time between home and work, I think my work IP even comes up as out of state (where the servers are) so I wonder..........
Patsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote