View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 1:34pm   #1
DropTheTop
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #777
Activity: 0%

Location: If they told you that wolverines would make good house pets . . . would you believe them?
Thanked 1,414 Times in 928 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6589249
Default Hey Cyber mofo, and other beer connoisseurs - step inside please (Beer)

Recently I discovered beer aged in bourbon barrels.

I don't know how this concept escaped my attention for the last 20 years of my drinking career, but that's all in the past. After trying several now, I believe I have stumbled across true beer nirvana . . . Goose Island - Bourbon County Stout.

If you know about it, what are your thoughts about it - and are you aware of anything else this special I need to hunt down?

The day after Thanksgiving I found it lingering on a shelf labeled "1 per customer please" (one 12 oz. bottle mind you!). I think it was 7 or 8 dollars, and being limited I had to try it. Then the cashier informed me it was kind of a big deal, and I might perhaps let it age a while in the bottle and save it for a special occasion.

Hogwash.

I anxiously opened the bottle with my old trusty Schmidt's metal opener, and poured it into my fancy Sam Adams glass

The aroma was intoxicating . . . I held it up to the light - nada. This nectar is blacker than black. I couldn't wait a second longer . . .

Oh . . . . . dear . . . . . Lord.

Was this actually happening?

In one word - Incredible.
In two words - Holy Sh!t
In three words - I Need More!

A couple days later I stroll into a new establishment, and I'm checking the place out. The only Goose Island on the shelf was their Festivity Ale. I asked for some assistance, and inquired about the Bourbon County.

I got a hairy eyeball.

After looking me over he says, "What else are you gonna buy?"

Wha . . . huh? Umm, I don't know yet.

"Tell you what . . . shop around, and when you get to the counter to pay I'll bring a bottle out from the back for you. One bottle . . . but only if you buy something else. We've had a problem with people trolling for this stuff to resell."

RESELL?!? Who in their right mind would part from this after tasting it?!?

"Happens all the time. There are places where hundreds of people stand in line to get this stuff, the day after Thanksgiving."

Wow, ok thanks. Let me get to shoppin' then.

For those people that get to buy a whole four pack or more of these - You suck

That is all.
DropTheTop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DropTheTop For This Useful Post: