Old 12-14-2014, 11:17am   #37
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 12.6%

Thanked 11,570 Times in 5,706 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

The ONLY man I have known for any length of time was Ken McAllister, who has managed to stick with a job for damn near 40 years, we went to FW Tejas in '70 I"d met him in HS long about '60 or so....

so he got a job driving a beer wagon for some distributor, and quickly joined the Teamsters, and got a job at Miller Brew, where he stayed from '71 until he retired some years ago.....I think he had like 6 years retired, as he passed on at age 68, I dunno from what/how....

he is the ONE guy who managed that feat outside of .gov circles.....everyone else lasts, like previously stated 10-15 years or so....if that....

Electronics crapped on me for the last time, and long about '85 or so, after some 20 years in the field, I just burnt out....went into home remodeling, had my card handed out as an independent installer for a home despot type operation in the DC region....called Hechingers.....

I knew two older folks at Hechinger kitchen design dept....same as Loews/Despot.....they both there for like 25 years at the time, and Hechinger stock was worth like 22-25 bux/share, which was their supposed retirement....worth maybe 100 grand each at the time.....Hechinger would build huge shopping centers with their stores as the anchors....and rent out to hundreds of other stores.....so the employes of the Hardware division thought it was fine, NO NO and HELL NO...!!!

Hechinger Hardware saw the looming dual threats on the horizon and they being a solid regional supply house, they knew that Loews/Despot would eat them alive, SO all the Real Estate was spun off through the years into Hechinger Holding company, another corporation, they folded the Hardware chain and all the workers got shit.....while the family continued to own all those stores and land, basically for free.....

mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote