Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Just so I'm clear with your description, you are NOT saying that the thermostat can regulate the final engine temperature, correct?
The thermostat regulates the lower end of the normal operating temperature spectrum.

While moving (abundant airflow through the radiator), you should find your coolant temp hovering near the rating of the thermostat. In this case, yes, the thermostat is regulating the temperature - it is doing it's job of keeping the coolant hot enough by controlling coolant flow through the radiator.

On a stock C5, this temperature will be right around 192°. As stated, mine normally runs about 176° when moving. That is the difference in Tstat only. My normal operating temperature definitely did drop.

The thermostat can NOT limit the maximum temperature the coolant reaches.
If you find it running hotter than say 200° while moving, it suggests blockage or reduced airflow through the radiator, or in extremely hot climates, the capacity of the stock radiator might be exceeded.

If the car is idling, or not moving, then it is the job of the fans to introduce airflow and control the maximum temps.

Last edited by Y2Kvert4me; 11-14-2009 at 1:43pm.
Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote