Old 06-27-2018, 5:03pm   #1
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138
Default Wok this way...

I bought this wok probably 20 years ago. Definitely didn't know how to properly season it then, and it got all horrid and I buried it in a cabinet far away from prying eyes, always figured that one day I'd deal with it. Then my buddy Allan wanted me to make some venison stir fry. I did make it, but was privately appalled at the state of my wok. It was crusty and coated in something resembling burnt sugar. Vaguely remember trying to make PF Chang Mongolian beef or something that really gummed it up.

I made the stir fry, somehow, because the outdoor burner Allan brought over was on its last legs. It was a super dirty flame and barely hot enough to come close to doing proper stir fry. So Monday I ordered parts, unbeknownst to him, and got a new replacement burner and hose (his was looking very unsafe) and fixed the entire burner. It works great now. Then I put three coats of EZ-OFF on the inside of the wok, then scrubbed with Bartenders Friend, then wet sanded with 120 grit sandpaper until I was down to bare carbon steel. Got it to where it was as good as I could stand doing it because it was a PITA doing it outside on a 90+ degree day.

After it was washed and clean as possible, I fired up the burner (which now cranks like an afterburner on a jet) and started the blueing process. This is a metallurgical reaction just like what they do to firearms. Carbon steel woks are the only kind you should do this to.

I then took it off and shot the garden hose at it to quickly quench it. Then added some Dawn and cleaned it again, this was really easy. Dried it off, put it back on the burner, and heated it up. Then I coated it with peanut oil, about a half cup swishing around. Dumped that out and wiped it down some with paper towels and tongs inside and out. Looks great!

Then I did the actual "seasoning" part which just means you fry up some onions, garlic, and whatever you have on hand that you don't care about because you don't want to eat it. Rub the onion stuff all around the sides while it fries up. I got it a dark brown color before calling it done. Then clean only (ever) with hot water and a bristle brush (bamboo preferably) and it's now at the stage that you'd get new cast iron after a few seasoning sessions in the oven.

Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post: