10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,471 Times in 17,254 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post
Business & Technology | BMW finds skilled workers for less at S.C. plant | Seattle Times Newspaper

The upside is you have a job, the downside is you fall out of the middle class.

And keep in mind that the ONLY reason the plants are not unionized is because they pay the workers more than they otherwise would to keep the union out. If the union disappeared tomorrow, only a fool wouldn't believe the wages at these plants wouldn't drop.

Race to the bottom!
You keep repeating the "race to the bottom mantra." You are promulgating union membership as a way for employees to earn more than the going rate for their jobs. Let's expound on that. I join a union, and make more than others who are not union are willing to do the job for. Great for me. Now, others see me living better than I would but for my union membership and they say, "hey, me too." So now, ALL occupations are unionized. Hey, I'm in the hamburger flippers union. Instead of making $ 8/hr, now I command $ 12/hr.

Do you see the problem? This is no different than those that want to increase the minimum wage. Why not make the minimum wage $ 50/hr? That way everyone who works could make a decent income. The only problem is, that $ 5 McMeal at McDonalds would now cost $ 50.

Or are you proposing a two tier society.....those who have artificially higher wages due to union membership vs. the serf class who work for what the market will bear?

Edit: The bigger picture about the RTW issue is this.....no one is taking away the rights of unions to organize, exist, or flex their muscles. What RTW does is prevent government endorsement of unions, kind of the same way government isn't supposed to favor one religion. Using government to force people to join and pay a union in order to get and keep a job isn't a level playing field. Using government to force people to pray to a certain God isn't a level playing field, either.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post: