Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKMCD View Post
Got an email today. For $5,800 you can help build the engine for your Z or ZR1. While it would be interesting...Firstly, I don't think the union is going to let you do anything meaningful. Secondly, why???
Quote:
But GM promises the experience won't just mean you hang around watching while someone else builds the engine. The customer will build it under supervision and support from skilled technicians.
I think it's a cool, and definitely unique idea.

The Wixom, MI Performance Build Center only employs 26 people. I really doubt the "union-only" mentality is all that strong compared to the large manufacturing plants. They obviously already agreed to this deal, and is perhaps partly why the option price seems so expensive.

As for why, Some people just LIKE that kind of stuff, and even better than just seeing your new engine get built would be to say you built it.
I mean geez, look how many Corvette owners get a thrill out of just being the first person to start their new car at the end of the assembly line. I have little doubt more than a few will try this, just for the experience of it.

It will be interesting to see how many participate in this program, and see what they have to say about it. If I could afford a new ZR1, I'd sure consider doing it.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote