RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 43.5%

Thanked 7,748 Times in 3,448 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
I'll admit, the thought crossed my mind when I flew in EAA's B-17 a few years ago. It's a bit spooky, but I just reminded myself that taking a quick ride around the block is a far cry from flying through hostile territory to drop bombs was a lot riskier. I just put on the big boy pants and went through with it. Enjoyable Experience.
I'm actually glad to hear someone else say this. I'm a history nut, an aircraft nut, and pretty much just...well... a nut in general. You may remember that I recently posted a thread about another B-17 (Aluminum Overcast) that was at a local event a few weeks ago. It ended up not being a choice because all of the rides were booked by the time that I even realized it was in town but after the initial thought of how awesome it would be, I had the thoughts of just how dangerous those old birds really were (are). Even when brand new, it was a regular occurance for them to have major failures and crashes not at all related to enemy combat. I have spent more hours than I could count hanging out of the door of an SH-60 without a hint of fear but something about standing there with the 3 year old on my shoulders made me think about it a little differently. Kinda weird in hindsight.

I planned on going up the next time they were in town. I may just leave that one unchecked on the bucket list for now...
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post: