Old 12-27-2016, 11:10am   #4
TripleBlack
Barn Raising I
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 2,060 Times in 876 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $308343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
First things first. I like the photo. The only thing that bugs me is the tree touching the horizon. And I shouldn't say it bugs me but my eye went RIGHT to it.

ND filters. I've got one also although mine is a variable with the rotating front ring. It provides anywhere from 2 to 8 stops of light control. They work OK but I've gotten some very odd and inconsistent metering off it in the 7-8 stop range. It also produces some weird artifact from time to time. I've had the best luck dropping my ISO to 50 and keeping the filter at no more than 6. At 7-8 it's a roll of the dice. You never know what you'll be getting.
Thanks Thomas. You're spot on with regard to the tree - it bugged me too and I appreciate you confirming how distracting it is before I post it to my local FB group. Unfortunately all the keeper candidates have the same issue.

I got a late start on this trip and was planning to just scout the location though I took my gear. As I was driving there, the sky starting looking really good and was still decent when I arrived. So I just grabbed a spot and set up. I was shooting manual and being a bit math challenged, it took me a while to get past my miscalculated exposure compensation. With all the fumbling around, I didn't pay enough attention to the composition. And a pox on Canon for not having an articulating display on the back. Makes it difficult to review shots when doing low angle stuff.

Most of my filters are 100mm wide and designed for a Lee filter holder, though I just have a slightly cheaper knockoff from Hitech. It's a bit unwieldy but is nice when using graduated NDs. My 10 stop is also a Hitech but smaller and only fits a cheapo Cokin holder, which vignettes when shooting really wide. Luckily the guy next to me loaned me his Lee holder and 10 stop for a few shots and this one was the result. I had to do some color correction but that seems to be the case with most all NDs, even the high dollar Lee stuff. I think I'm going to order one of these today. While on the cheap side, it seems to get good reviews on color. Better than the Lee according to some.

https://www.amazon.com/ND1000-Square-Neutral-Density-Optical/dp/B00JYFN9YG
Almost forgot. Drove to the lake with the top down... 75 degrees or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwomanC6 View Post
Love this pic. I noticed the clouds and sky first. Did not even notice the bush Thomas mention until I read his post. Not distracting to me.

Were the clouds moving fast to get that effect of stretching?
The tree is a small detail, but like Thomas, my eye was drawn to it. Too bad it wasn't drawn to it while I was shooting.

The clouds were moving some but not really that fast. I was a little surprised there was so much movement in the shot. It was only a 30 second exposure. I was planning a much longer exposure but my remote shutter release was messed up and I couldn't use Bulb mode so was limited to 30 seconds shooting manual.

By the way, this was taken at Murrell Park on the north side of Lake Grapevine near the boat ramp. Admission is free for day use. Perfect spot for winter sunsets.
TripleBlack is offline   Reply With Quote