island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixievet View Post
Remember the wind can go only where it is the higher force of energy. Now, there might be another larger pressure system, either high or low, that might be north or south of the typhoon, so the typhoon is going to follow the path of least resistance. The momentum is there to continue the westerly path, but there may be air currents preventing it from moving north or south.

If you want to get real technical - you have to look at things like the isobars which are the linear lines of wind based on a directional inbound or outbound flow.

Look at this map - you can see that there is some strong pressure coming out of Japan right now so my guess is that Ruby will track more south than north.

And there is nothing to the south of Ruby that appears to be holding it back from descending.

Here is a screen capture of it currently if the java applet does not load
Thanks for taking the time to explain this and it's all starting to make sense now.

From what you say and I see the chances are more likely to head more to us than away.

Remember after last years storm I said, what are the odds of this happening again in a lifetime? and I thought they were very slight..

First of all I doubted there would be another storm as big as Yolanda, and even less likely that it would be here again if it did happen.

I see now that this is not as big as Yolanda was yet, but still has a few more days to build up to be as big or even possibly bigger they are saying.

Meanwhile all is calm before the storm here..

Everyone seems relaxed but worried some, today was sunny and beautiful out all day, this evening there is a slight breeze that feels good and normal for this time of the year.

Disco over in Sillion again tonight, we may go later for something to do.

All ferry boats out are cancelled already I just found out awhile ago, even though the weather is fine here for now.. so the only way for Irish and the kids to go is by pump boat, and I am seriously not going to risk putting them on a pump boat.
island14 is offline   Reply With Quote