Old 01-16-2020, 5:18pm   #20
Egnalf
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.0%

Thanked 3,145 Times in 1,332 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $18284

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
I only had the discussion because I wanted to see what he had stated and what was sent to HR. During this discussion i said very little and told him that the reason written on the termination paperwork was accurate and I really don't want to or even have to explain it again.

Taht being said, i don't like having to fire people, but it's nothing personal..Just business. It's part of the job and I have to look out for my job, my other employees' jobs, my mission/requirements of my shop, etc....

when i first took over running the tech support department of this college campus 5+ years ago, nobody would call tech support for help because we were viewed as lazy and incompetent due to the previous crew who was here before me. Things drastically changed within the first month of me here and people noticed. Then as i hired my team it was even more noticeable and staff, admin, and faculty have thrown a fit when they heard my boss planned to rotate me to another campus that wasn't running as smooth. i'm proud of that, and because of how i manage my team/Know my team, I'm absolutely positive any of the acccusations emailed to HR by this kid were complete bullshit. my boss agrees with me unless there is some evidence proving otherwise. i guarantee none exists.

guess I'm just more pissed that I'm having to defend myself, my team, and my shop's reputation becauss some shit bag couldn't handle the job requirements.....at what is almost an entry level position. More like a paid internship that can turn into entry level.
you miss the whole point. they fired themselves by not acting properly or doing their work correctly. You are just carrying the message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
When I got fired, my boss wasn't quite so cavalier, but it was really a nothing. I knew it was coming, only a matter of when, not if. He actually came to my office, rather than calling me to his, he sat down, and told me it was over, and I was to go see HR for the details on my severance. No bullshit, no arguments, no "discussions". I appreciated his honesty and straight-forwardness.

So I walk to HR on my own, and the lady goes on for literally a half hour about all the wonderful things they are going to do for me, and I was like "WTF? You're firing me, just give me the information on the separation package and let me go home!", but no, I was too much of a ***** to say that. So I sat and listened to her spew the company line, and then I went home. **** 'em.
downsizing or change in culture? doesn't sound like fired for poor performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 commemorative View Post
I used to hate when we had to fire someone....I always said as long as you never enjoy doing it you're ok.
sometimes, when an employee just gets under your skin intentionally because they think they cant be fired, you get to enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
I took a few management courses in college, and this topic came up in my Personnel Management class. The instructor said ideally it should not affect your emotions anymore than getting a cup of coffee. If it really bothers you ore if you really like it, management may not be the job for you.

04, I tend to agree with you on this topic. I think it should bother someone at least enough to start a thread on a car forum about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Although I see your point, I'm not sure I would want to work for a boss that really felt the way that bolded describes.

In that job, I was expected to be an adult, and a professional, so was my boss. Part of that is the idea of "business is business". I know my boss fought to keep as much of his staff employed as long as he could (this was in the Obummer years), but when the end came for someone, it came. The "doing the right thing" part came BEORE the end. Once the end is reached, everyone needs to be a professional about it.

Hopefully the young man that DJ had to fire today will come to understand this as he matures.
I hire skilled building trades guys/union. sometimes they like to play games and know it will lead to them being laid off or fired. Its a completely different game than professional office types. They are grown men, but sometimes act like boys for any number of reasons. Feelings simply aren't part of the equation for most.
Egnalf is offline   Reply With Quote