View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 5:09pm   #45
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272

I am sorry for the loss of your dad. I still miss mine (25 yrs.now). The shop owner is a class one ass. But, the free labor or deal was with your dad and not you. Deathbed promises are about as good as ones if you are healthy.

I have restored cars for 40 yrs. off/on...just for fun and a ONE MAN SHOW. My local shops ONLY want to do insurance and collision jobs. I know one shop owner that got strung along for yrs. with a '57 Chevy. project. They guy would only pay a little $ here and there. Shops are guaranteed the insurance check. Slap it together and get it out the door. Plenty of work available for a big profit.

I don't think your dad would want you to delve into a financial burden restoring these cars. He thought they would be restored as a promise that was made. Trying to find a shop that will restore them and finding correct parts will be big azz $$$ to do right. Maybe sell one to fund the other if they are sentimental to you. Or chalk it all up as a bad life experience from people suck.

If the Vette is original or you wanted to join your local NCRS. Those guys will lead you in the right direction for it. I'm sure there are similar Jag./British clubs. If the vette is not numbers matching or special in any other way. You are likely to wind up financially upside down with a restoration. Maybe even the Jag.

I don't know what to tell you. Your heart and sentimental strings are tugging at you. But, don't get into a financial burden with either car. You can still love and remember your dad in other ways.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post: